cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domestic awning help needed

TKConn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I need help getting my awning back in.It has always made lots of noise coming in and out sinceday 1,I Just assumed that was normal.but today this is what I’m stuck with(see photos).I tried to adjust the fabric but it won’t budge,Awning is 20 feet long and I’m afraid one of the arms is going to snap or bend if I retract it anymore,any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Hope pic comes out , it just shows how slanted the arm is getting everytime we retract it .
10 REPLIES 10

TKConn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we finally got it fixed took most of the day.all lined up perfectly and we installed a self tapping screw on each end of the roller to keep from happening again.Thank you all for the advice!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mich upnorth wrote:
Once you get it adjusted to the right position, use a permanent marker on the tube so you know where it belongs and check it each time you roll it up. You might have to adjust it each time, but it should only be a little bit. I found if I put the end of the tube against my chest I could pull the material to me.

Once its aligned and working run a self tapping screw through the rail and spline, do the same to the tube.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get it adjusted to the right position, use a permanent marker on the tube so you know where it belongs and check it each time you roll it up. You might have to adjust it each time, but it should only be a little bit. I found if I put the end of the tube against my chest I could pull the material to me.
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

TKConn
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a great idea I’ll try it. Thank you

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
TKConn wrote:
Ok will give that a try tomorrow with a second pair of hands,I couldn’t budge it by myself.thanks for the quick replies ,will update tomorrow

Before you attemt it. Take a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of dish soap and water and spray the hell out of the awning rail/spine or tube/spilne and let it sit....then spray it again and let it sit..
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

TKConn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok will give that a try tomorrow with a second pair of hands,I couldn’t budge it by myself.thanks for the quick replies ,will update tomorrow

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either the awning shifted on the tube rail, it must be pulled on the tube in order for it to roll evenly so the arms align.
The other thing could be that the fabric has stretched for whatever reason and the reason might have been because it was installed off center. Sometimes the wind moves the fabric off center.

how to : with the awning extended, you have to slide the fabric to the right or left by pushing and pulling each side until the fabric is tight with no wrinkles and it appears close to the middle of the roller tube as possible.
Having a second person would be helpful.

The metal awning arms need to fit evenly in the channel on both sides, without rubbing each other. Expect to push n pull that fabric on the roller tube a few times until you get it right, be patient.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It works better to have a helper to slide vinyl. I'd extend awning to slide vinyl back over, as it will not move easily, especially when rolled up some. Normally there is a screw on each end of vinyl attachment to keep this from happening.

Jerry

TKConn
Explorer
Explorer
Yes is lubed but vinyl is more to one side on the roller than the other,the struts are working ok for time being,,

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That is not good! Has your vinyl slipped/moved to the left in the track? Are your gas struts pressured equally? Trailer should be near level when extending/retracting. It is obviously misaligned, as it should meet the fastened portion closer to dead on. Is the other arm bent/sprung? One motor should be operating both sides equally. Need more info, is something binding, or dry/needs lubricating?

Jerry