Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30A to 50A

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
What size wire should I use to make my own 30A to 50A dog bone
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
19 REPLIES 19

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What ever you make use QUALITY ends like this.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Wouldn't the length of the dogbone cord be a consideration also? I'm guessing the standard 6" won't be much different, but what if it's only 2 or 3 inches? Or if it's 1 to 2 feet?

I don't know the answer - just looking for one for knowledge. ๐Ÿ™‚

In lengths reasonable for a dogbone adapter (max 2 foot) Length is not a factor 2 inches (not long enough to attach to) or 2 feet. wont' matter. You are in teh .000x ohm range and I'm not sure I typed enough zeros. Now at 50-100 feet. YES. but under a yard. NO.

Thanks for the added info.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Wouldn't the length of the dogbone cord be a consideration also? I'm guessing the standard 6" won't be much different, but what if it's only 2 or 3 inches? Or if it's 1 to 2 feet?

In lengths reasonable for a dogbone adapter (max 2 foot) Length is not a factor 2 inches (not long enough to attach to) or 2 feet. wont' matter. You are in teh .000x ohm range and I'm not sure I typed enough zeros. Now at 50-100 feet. YES. but under a yard. NO.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Man it's a tough crowd on the forum these days. Why does it matter to anyone else if the OP wants to make something rather than buy some junk made to minimum standards.

It's winter. People have winterized and are sad ๐Ÿ˜ž
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Man it's a tough crowd on the forum these days. Why does it matter to anyone else if the OP wants to make something rather than buy some junk made to minimum standards.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
I understand liking to make this stuff but after you buy the cable and the plug ends and spend the time to put it together, you aren't saving any money if that's the reason you want to make one.

Ditto, sounds like a money and time waster to me. Plus the stored bought one will have better weather sealing. They aren't that expensive in the first place.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I understand liking to make this stuff but after you buy the cable and the plug ends and spend the time to put it together, you aren't saving any money if that's the reason you want to make one.

I make my own adapters because I like doing stuff like that, and I'm 100% sure that I build things with more care than I can buy. Plus the more stuff you fiddle with and make, the better you understand how all these things work. Helps when you've got to do an emergency field repair.

And a few hours in the garage making things I could buy beats watching TV. :B

I completely understand that! Nothing good on TV these days anyway. Not to mention the shows that were on 20 years ago are all coming back. I guess the writers have run out of ideas so they just recycle the old shows.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather make it than build it. Admittedly sometimes what I make isn't as good as store bought...then I buy it from the store. I'm not RVing to save money or be efficient.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

I make my own adapters because I like doing stuff like that, and I'm 100% sure that I build things with more care than I can buy. Plus the more stuff you fiddle with and make, the better you understand how all these things work. Helps when you've got to do an emergency field repair.

And a few hours in the garage making things I could buy beats watching TV. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

#10 is good for 100' but that is more extension cord than dogbone.

Thanks! Always good to know these things.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobWNY wrote:

My thought as well. You can buy a good adapter for not much more than ten bucks. I wouldn't waste time making one.

Jerry

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

#10 is good for 100' but that is more extension cord than dogbone.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.