cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Here We Come!

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Before we left home on our two month journey in September we were already discussing heading to Indian Wells in either 2019 or 2020. We finally decided on 2019.

There are two definite dates we have to hit while we are traveling. We need to be in CA the second weekend in March and Houston in early April. I've been playing with the Good Sam Trip Planner because I think we need to get to I-10 as quick as possible when we leave SC in mid-February.

Right now, the route I've planned has us hitting I-10 at Mobile, AL and due west from there. We have made that trip now as far west as San Antonio. Playing with the calendar we will have time to explore some areas after we get past San Antonio.

Our idea of a great visit is to hit the historical sites in an area and any special natural attractions.

The return trip might be due east on I-10 to Phoenix then north and east on I-40 then start heading south towards Lubbock working our way over to Austin and Waco before heading towards Houston.

What are can't miss from San Antonio west?
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.
22 REPLIES 22

charming
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Depending on your schedule...you could take US90 out of San Antonio to Seminole Canyon State Park, then to Marathon and 385 south into Big Bend, follow 170 along the river to Presidio, north on 67 to Fort Davis S.P., and on to I-10 by either 17 to Balmorhea S.P., or 118 to I-10.
You may also drop down south of I-10 before you get to San Antonio on US90 and visit the brewery at Shiner and then to Gonzales for a big helping of Texas history, a cool downtown, and historic homes.
edit add... always stop at Bucees.

Thanks for the great suggestions. We are always looking for new things to do when we travel. We plan to head towards I-10 by way of I-85 and I-65 through Georgia and eastern Alabama.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Half way between Blythe, Ca and Indio, Ca http://generalpattonmuseum.com/

Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, Balmorhea SP may still be closed for renovation during your timeframe. This is one of our go-to spots. Check with them if you are interested in stopping here.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your schedule...you could take US90 out of San Antonio to Seminole Canyon State Park, then to Marathon and 385 south into Big Bend, follow 170 along the river to Presidio, north on 67 to Fort Davis S.P., and on to I-10 by either 17 to Balmorhea S.P., or 118 to I-10.
You may also drop down south of I-10 before you get to San Antonio on US90 and visit the brewery at Shiner and then to Gonzales for a big helping of Texas history, a cool downtown, and historic homes.
edit add... always stop at Bucees.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
While in Indian Wells, plan a full day trip through Joshua Tree NP - great place in March.

Edit: Also, wild flowers could be on display then in Anza Borrego state park - another full day trip.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Question for experience winter RVers. I'm still playing with the map for the February trip.

1. One way is to get to I-10 as quick as possible - south on I-85 to I-65 then hitting I-10 near Mobile and heading due west from there.

2. I've been looking at weather.com and thinking we might be okay just taking I-20 all the way across until it hits I-10 in Texas.

The pros of option 1 - We will be less likely to hit freezing weather.
The cons of option 1 - We have traveled part of this route frequently and nothing new from home to San Antonio. Driving through San Antonio and Houston (was not a fun experience).

the pros of option 2 - We have not traveled on it west Birmingham so new places to visit.

The cons of option 2 - Worried about the weather. Driving through Dallas (was not fun).

Ideas or suggestions? I have read where some folks have mentioned I-10 in parts of Texas are not a good drive. Alternatives? We are set on our arrival date in Indian Wells are, we have a reservation to arrive on 3/2 and tickets for the tournament.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Big trip with a lot of Driving - Hill Country - Big Bend - A number of State Parks and Reservoirs.

I'd get away from I-10 as it is truly (IMHO) not RV friendly.

Texas is BIG and will require a lot of Driving to get across.

New Mexico - State Parks are great - we love the Mountains.

Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley - Sedona - Page - Grand Canyon - Vegas

Cali is up to you - lot's to see - lot's to do - Bring lots of Money - for us we are fly in, tour, fly out, as we were able to spend time there while oldest son was in College, and I grew up there as a Kid - Too crowded, just not for us anymore.

Last thought - heading back try to use different routes - possible to get into the Mountains? - Utah is good before it gets too hot - Colorado is Great.

Best of Luck, let us all know how it goes,

We will be heading more northerly in 2020, this trip we need to be in Tallahassee at the end of April.

We had to skip Albuquerque on this past trip and plan to head there after Indian Wells. We might include Santa Fe this time.

What I didn't put in my original post, we are planning to attend the tennis tournament in Indian Wells. We are debating on trying to make the qualifying tournament. Following the Indian Wells Tournament we will be working our way towards Houston for the Clay Court Championship and from there we're going to the Challenger tournament in Tallahassee before going to the tournament in Savannah. This is the type of trip DH has wanted to do for years. In 2020 we hope to do the summer hard court tournaments prior to the Open.

Back to the calendar and maps.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
charming wrote:
Before we left home on our two month journey in September we were already discussing heading to Indian Wells in either 2019 or 2020. We finally decided on 2019.

There are two definite dates we have to hit while we are traveling. We need to be in CA the second weekend in March and Houston in early April.

I've been playing with the Good Sam Trip Planner because I think we need to get to I-10 as quick as possible when we leave SC in mid-February.

Right now, the route I've planned has us hitting I-10 at Mobile, AL and due west from there. We have made that trip now as far west as San Antonio. Playing with the calendar we will have time to explore some areas after we get past San Antonio.

Our idea of a great visit is to hit the historical sites in an area and any special natural attractions.

The return trip might be due east on I-10 to Phoenix then north and east on I-40 then start heading south towards Lubbock working our way over to Austin and Waco before heading towards Houston.

What are can't miss from San Antonio west?

Big trip with a lot of Driving - Hill Country - Big Bend - A number of State Parks and Reservoirs.

I'd get away from I-10 as it is truly (IMHO) not RV friendly.

Texas is BIG and will require a lot of Driving to get across.

New Mexico - State Parks are great - we love the Mountains.

Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley - Sedona - Page - Grand Canyon - Vegas

Cali is up to you - lot's to see - lot's to do - Bring lots of Money - for us we are fly in, tour, fly out, as we were able to spend time there while oldest son was in College, and I grew up there as a Kid - Too crowded, just not for us anymore.

Last thought - heading back try to use different routes - possible to get into the Mountains? - Utah is good before it gets too hot - Colorado is Great.

Best of Luck, let us all know how it goes,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

charming
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
If you're passing through NM, consider stopping to see White Sands NM. Nearby is also the New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo. Heading west, you'll probably be going through AZ so a trip to Sedona would be worth it before heading off to GC.

All these great suggestions everyone is posting means we will have to leave a week earlier than I anticipated!

We visited Alamogordo once about 25 years ago (our SIL was stationed in Alamogordo) and we had a brief visit to the dunes but did not know about the museum. I recall our drive from there to Phoenix, I put the car radio on scan and for a long time it kept scanning, never found a station.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
The highest gas prices are not due to the taxes, because the wonderful Commonwealth of Pennsylvania now holds the distinction of the highest fuel taxes in the US, and has CA beat by $0.03 per gallon on the tax. But CA has us beat by about $0.80 per gallon average price. Go figure.

Sorry about your situation, but are you counting the state tax, the federal tax, the (hidden) sales tax, and the (hidden) Cap and Trade "Carbon" tax?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
If you're passing through NM, consider stopping to see White Sands NM. Nearby is also the New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo. Heading west, you'll probably be going through AZ so a trip to Sedona would be worth it before heading off to GC.
I love me some land yachting

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Visit Fort Davis TX The Rockies extend into west Texas and the springs/pool in Balmorhea has State Park camping close to I10. The springs feed out of a rugged range where the old Fort Davis and its namesake reside. The McDonald Observatory is above Fort Davis State Park and the mountains are impressive.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:

Yes, it would be a great time to visit the Grand Canyon. Temps are mild, if not chilly, but the best is the crowds don't start coming until later in the Spring. BUT it will be chilly, like in the 20ies at night, so make sure your equip for that.
I lived in Yuccca Valley for a few years and know Indian Wells well. Make sure you check out Thousand Palms Oasis, and Cabots Pueblo Museum. I wasn't kidding about the sex life of a date, if you have time visit Shields Date Farm right near Indian Wells, and watch the video, enjoy a date shake and if they have any, try a Abbada date. They are the best. AND make sure you visit the Air Museum, and take the Tramway up the mountain.

Our one trip to the Grand Canyon was the last weekend in November, they had already had a snow.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
charming wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. California has been one of our favorite destinations over the years. I remember our first visit and a drive down the PCH - watching people with their campers in tow around twists and turns so tight they could see the end of their camper from the tow vehicle!

Our destination is to Indian Wells, just south of Jushua Tree, near Palm Springs. It is one of the few parts of the state we've never visited.

Thanks for the suggestions about Texas and New Mexico. We're trying to decide whether or not we'll have time to visit the Grand Canyon again this trip. I guess we will make that decision when we are leaving California.

Question, how busy is the campground inside the GC Park in mid March? We stayed in Bright Angel Cabins the time we visited.

Yes, it would be a great time to visit the Grand Canyon. Temps are mild, if not chilly, but the best is the crowds don't start coming until later in the Spring. BUT it will be chilly, like in the 20ies at night, so make sure your equip for that.
I lived in Yuccca Valley for a few years and know Indian Wells well. Make sure you check out Thousand Palms Oasis, and Cabots Pueblo Museum. I wasn't kidding about the sex life of a date, if you have time visit Shields Date Farm right near Indian Wells, and watch the video, enjoy a date shake and if they have any, try a Abbada date. They are the best. AND make sure you visit the Air Museum, and take the Tramway up the mountain.