185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
nothing to see here
60 REPLIES 60

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
I did the Ultrapower ECM tune, plugs, wires and Banks headers and got a definite improvement in power. Actual experience trumps opinion.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsepower increase? Sure I can buy that.

Increase in torque? Very possible.

But โ€œchokeโ€? Now weโ€™re getting into โ€˜salesman speakโ€™ territory.

A 6.8 liter engine doing 4,750 RPM will take in & spit back out the SAME amount of air regardless of whether it has the OEM exhaust, Slick Willyโ€™s Full-On Race Exhaust, or none at all.

Thatโ€™s just simple mathematics.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Every single review of Ultra's Ultrapower units that I've read raves about the difference in performance, on both Ford and Chevy (Workhorse). The gains in HP and torque are not just heresay, but proven with dyno readouts for the Workhorse, and adding their Allison trans flash is icing on the cake. There are enough first person reviews from actual owners on this site and others to make a believer out of me.

As has already been stated, manufacturers DO NOT produce and sell the best performance available in any of their vehicles, nor will they ever do so; there are many compromises made along the way in order to satisfy every department and every shareholder (including our government) and every customer. There is nothing wrong with using aftermarket to fine tune our RVs to perform better in the tasks that each of us decides to use that vehicle for; I'm 100% sure that I don't drive/use my RV in the exact same manner that everyone else does. To categorically claim that any aftermarket product is a waste of money and that only the manufacturer knows best is ridiculously shortsighted. Many of my vehicles have benefited from aftermarket performance products, with little to no downside. And I'm still using a couple of those vehicles after 33+ years, so the dependability is obviously not a problem.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
185EZ wrote:
timmac wrote:
timmac wrote:
Anyone tell me the stock V-10 exhaust manifold is just as good as the Banks header system, check out this pic and than tell me

Why haven't the naysayers have anything to say about this pic, what is better, stock or Banks ??

:B

crickets:B
Yeah, no s-t. The naysayers can talk about 7.3s and 8.1s (GM) and I have no rebuttal because I couldn't care less about GM. But I'm told by a happy owner, the Banks kit for the V-10 adds HP and torque.

There's always some a-h who is indeed, trying to cast pearls before swine, but once I realized I wanted to RV full time (only way I'd RV, at all) I read about the V10 until I thought my head would explode. But now, y'all can have all that old, cheap **** (7.3, 8.1) and blow it up with C4.

My V-10 RV WILL have a FULL Banks kit on it. Even if I have to buy it brand new.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the after market air intakes for diesels especially. Diesel mechanics will tell you to get the air in and then get it out with a larger exhaust. I have an ARE intake which is a great design. The air filter is in plain sight when the hood is open. It is easy to see when it needs to be cleaned. Power boost and better mpg.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Black friday sale good through 11/27 @ Brazels Performance
15% off
Black friday

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Obviously someone thinks that ALL decisions about the design of a vehicle are made by engineers, and not ACCOUNTANTS.

Nope, not by a long shot. Clearly most of the prelim design specs are made by sales and marketing, engineers, the racing division (if one exists), and stylists, but, the design process is dynamic. The final production design involves everyone including accountants.

IME, the key to creating a successful design is to keep each specialty in their own department, . . . . . and knowing when to shut up and push print. That doesn't always happen.

Chum lee

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

Well, that depends on what you mean by "better." If you mean low cost reliable, durable, low maintenance, emission compliant exhaust system, clearly it WOULDN'T be the Banks system. Ford/Chevrolet doesn't think so either otherwise the vehicle would come that way from the factory.

Clearly, you prefer to get your engineering degree from the school of hard knocks with a minor in marketing and advertising.

Chum lee

Well you surly put your foot in the mouth on this one, as to low maintenance the cast iron exhaust has lots of troubles, they crack, the bolts break, leaks, and the Banks headers have last many years, some have over 25 years on them with no issues, and Banks is emission compliant, even in California where the standards are higher..

The only thing you got right was the low cost, yes cast iron exhaust is lower cost and that's why they install them over quality headers..

Have you popped the hood on the performance cars coming from the big 3 lately, they have headers and better flow thru exhaust and better air intake systems on them, Not the cast iron junk.

Very similar to what Banks has been doing for many years now..

Maybe you need a engineering class..

:R

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
He meant "better" in terms of aftermarket performance and that is what this thread is about or I thought but some treat it as financial thread and how to invest your money in "better' ways.
Clearly it's better. They even put tubular headers on the V6 mustang.
We already know why they put cast iron manifolds on motors.
Some of us want to extract some the hp that the engineers weren't able to do because of cost or emissions
Not sure why that's such a bad thing
The stock exhaust on my motorcycle was HUGE and had the catalytic converter in it. Weighed a ton.
Yes I deleted it all and contributed to global warming
But I saved 26# on my bike after a simple aftermarket install
I also gutted my cat on my Polaris razor since it not only had issues with melting through the muffler but there is no emissions testing for off road vehicles so I have no idea why they had a cat on there anyway but i'm sure the engineers had to do it to comply with federal regulations

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Obviously someone thinks that ALL decisions about the design of a vehicle are made by engineers, and not ACCOUNTANTS.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
timmac wrote:
Anyone tell me the stock V-10 exhaust manifold is just as good as the Banks header system, check out this pic and than tell me

Why haven't the naysayers have anything to say about this pic, what is better, stock or Banks ??

Well, that depends on what you mean by "better." If you mean low cost reliable, durable, low maintenance, emission compliant exhaust system, clearly it WOULDN'T be the Banks system. Ford/Chevrolet doesn't think so either otherwise the vehicle would come that way from the factory.

Currently, OE's have to certify that their vehicle emissions systems will comply with EPA/CARB standards under the regulations that they certified it would. That means it must meet new vehicle emissions standards for 8 years and/or 80,000 miles, which ever comes first. If it doesn't, then they are on the hook to fix it (on their time/dime) until it does. (times however many units are in the field)

With the Banks system, the distance and the exposed surface area between the exhaust ports and the catalytic converter (the headers) is exponentially greater that the stock system. Think back to your college level classes on fluid dynamics, physics, heat transfer, chemistry, thermal expansion, strength of materials, combustion theory etc. (Oh that's right, I forgot, you never took those classes, . . . what a surprise) In your race car example above, that means that, under some operating conditions, the catalytic converter may drop below its light off temperature and it may not operate efficiently when below its required operating temperature range so that the vehicle may not comply with it's emissions limits. For you, that's not an issue. For OE's it is. Google "Volkswagen emissions scandal" if you don't think so.

I don't care if you want to tack all that race car stuff on your vehicle. That's up to you. Take a look in the pits at any race. What do you see? Hint: People working on their vehicles. That could be you!

Clearly, you prefer to get your engineering degree from the school of hard knocks with a minor in marketing and advertising.

That's where you take the test first, gain experience second, and learn your lesson last.

Me, I took the traditional route where I learned the lessons first, gained experience next, then took the test last.

Chum lee

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
timmac wrote:

crickets:B

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you are talking about spark plugs, you bought the wrong truck.
Air intake upgrade absolutely will pay for itself.
So will a new exhaust.

Should I have got a truck with glow plugs? lol
You can't get the 8.1 and Allison trans package anymore
2001 2500HD. Fantastic truck. I already have the air intake and Gibson exhaust. Truck didn't have iridium plugs when I changed them at 60k miles. Maybe the previous owner changed them?
The wires and plugs made a noticeable difference

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
LOL...changing new plugs and plug wires to something aftermarke thinking that is going to help power!

P.T Barnum would be smiling!

It actually does. As the wires age, they develop increasing resistance to electricity and become more prone to misfire and a weaker spark. So you will not get more power, but you will get more stable rated power.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.