cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turning Hot Water Heater On (Gas)

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
When we turn our hot water heater on w/Propane), it sounds like a small explosion out there. What could be causing this??
13 REPLIES 13

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
A whumpf is normal. An explosion is not.

What he said. Something is delaying ignition, probably debris or a bug nest/web/corpse. Inspection and a good cleaning should take care of it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
A whumpf is normal. An explosion is not.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there someway you could have a friend turn it on while you stand outside the camper recording a video of it. Then post the video somewhere that we can all watch and listen ?

It's hard to diagnose Explosion because we all have a different idea of what that means.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
When we turn our hot water heater on w/Propane), it sounds like a small explosion out there. What could be causing this??

That's a normal sound when the propane ignites.
Bob

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
There are alot of suggestions here and predictions but they seem premature to me.

This all depends on what you mean by "Explosion". It is also important to understand the magnitude of what you are describing. This is all very difficult to judge on this type of communication.

A audible "Whump" is a normal part of the water heater starting up.

The term "Explosion" leads one to believe there is a problem where in fact there may be none.

I suggest you do this: Have the most mechanically inclined of your group, family etc go out side and open the HWH panel. Then have someone inside the unit turn it on. Identify the burner tube and electronic igniter location...this is pretty obvious.

Watch and listen as the unit is turned on. You will hear that "Whump" and you should see the flame at the end of the tube come on. There should not be a big "Flash" of gas igniting but a small and contained ignition. If that is what you see then things are very likely just fine.

My own HWH makes quite a sound when it comes on but actually watching the ignition shows that all is fine.

So before you jump to cleaning burners or getting anxious about a problem that may not exist try my suggestion.

You MAY find some good advice on you tube, but I have also seen some pretty dodgy self appointed experts screwing things up too. So look at several before you judge them to be a solution or the correct way to do something.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
it turned out to be bugs in the orifice tube. I simply cupped my hand behind the hole in front from behind, and blew real hard. A couple of those dang stink bugs blew out the other end. And that took care of the problem.

Similar experience here. Fired up the water heater to a horrible racket and roar. Went outside and to my horror there was black sooty smoke billowing out of the water heater grill on the side of the camper. Turned out to be a bunch of stink bugs in the burner tube, and cleaning them out solved the problem.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Need to clean the burner.

+1. Need to clean the whole system.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Just needs cleaning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you can u tube this or if your not handy? call a friend or a mobile tech .its not hard to do just need to put things back right. mobile tech faster cheaper than a dealer ,and they come to you. if your in a CG ,ask the manager if he knows some one.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spark Igniter SHOULD be firing (Click, Click, Click) BEFORE gas flows to end of burner tube

A spider web is enough to disrupt the gas flow and proper mixing with air

Just needs a routine clean up....burner tube and set spark electrode gap (1/8")

What is the BRAND/MODEL of your water heater?
Atwood has a 'air shutter'----Suburban doesn't
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We got the new 5er in September and for the first 4 weeks had on-going problems with the water heater on gas. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. Sometimes it would explode and still not light.

After what seemed like a long journey with it, it turned out to be bugs in the orifice tube. I simply cupped my hand behind the hole in front from behind, and blew real hard. A couple of those dang stink bugs blew out the other end. And that took care of the problem.

Now, if you are talking about that sudden "poof" that happens with it first ignites, that's pretty common. Gas will build a second and then the spark with hit, causing an immediate "poof" sound. However, it's its an explosion sound, well, it's building up with gas before the spark or fire hits it, causing it to literally explode. More than likely, something is blocking that orifice tube. Try blowing it out. It's the first easy step that costs nothing. If that does not work, we'll go to step 2.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Slow/difficult ignition. Gas is building up a bit before the igniter can light it off. Possibly a dirty orifice or dirty igniter. Possibly the oxygen baffle needs adjustment. Possibly the igniter gap needs adjustment.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver