cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cal. 299

brokenoaks
Explorer
Explorer
how is Hwy 299 from Redding to Eureka pulling a 33 foot 5th wheel with a F250? we would be doing it around the first of March. thank you for any advice.
8 REPLIES 8

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've towed on 299 several times -- not a big problem. But watch out for construction delays -- check the CalTrans site before starting out on that particular road. They are having some geologic problems -- unstable hillsides.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I go to the coast and Brookings often from Reno and personally I detest towing on 299. I think of it as a 120 mile corner with some steep grades, a couple of which are 8%. From Brookings I always take 199 up to I-5 at Grants Pass and south on I-5 to Shasta City. You can then get on the combination of Highways 89/44/36/395 into Reno.

On 199 in California there are a few narrow winding sections, but you can usually move along fairly quickly. Once in Oregon it moves fast all the way to I-5. On I-5 there are a couple of fairly steep(6%) grades near the border going back into California, but they aren't bad. When you turn off onto Hwy 89 South it is the most direct route to the Reno area and is a pretty good road, mostly 2 lane with passing lanes, and it moves fast. Once you get on US 395 just south of Susanville the traffic gets heavier, but you can stay on 395 all the way south until the turnoff into Death Valley. The only real headache along that route is the possibility of a late season snow storm. The last two trips from Brookings to Reno when towing took me 8.5 hours with some breaks along the way.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you should try 199 which begins at Crescent City and goes east into OR.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
brokenoaks wrote:
what might be better options. we will be going from the coast heading east. our actual trip is from Brookings OR to Death Valley.

I'd skip 299 unless you have a desire to see the Trinity Alps. I just came back from Weaverville on 299 to Redding last week. That part is in great shape, but there is an 8% grade approaching Redding. Weaverville to 101 is narrow, at times, with lane controls.

Highway 101 south all the way to San Rafael is good, avoiding commute times, then 37 east to 80, 680, 580, 5.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
In that case I would drive a bit farther south to near Ukiah and take 20 east. At the top just before you get to clear lake you can cut off arou d the south side of Clear Lake. This will get you back on 20 east of the congestion. From there its a fairly easy drive to I5. Remember the CA fires, so how you get east from there is up to you. As an alternative, from Brookings you could head east on 199 and 140 to Klamath Falls, jog to Alturus and pick up 395 south. That will put you east of all the fires and avoid most of CA. Remember CA limits you to 55MPH towing.

brokenoaks
Explorer
Explorer
what might be better options. we will be going from the coast heading east. our actual trip is from Brookings OR to Death Valley.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I see that road differently. There are a lot of climbs. The first one west of Redding is slow and twisty. Then its down to Weaverville and the next of several twisty climbs and decents to the coast.
Depending on where your starting and ending there are options IMHO better than 299.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It's fine...have pulled it many times.. Some curvy sections and a grade or two.
But, it seems to us that it takes forever. March is good; not too hot. Redding can get blistering hot in the summer.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro