cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aiiison 300MH trany service

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Cheetah has 73K on it and I have owned it since 2007. Is it time to change the Transynd fluid and filters? Not having any problems to date. Any ideas of what this service might cost?
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!
18 REPLIES 18

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My trash collector recycle people will take motor oil it has to be in a clear container with screw on lid marked motor oil they will take 2 gallons at a time. The other day I left 2 gallons marked trans oil and they did not take it so I left it there (end of driveway) next week they took it. So now I am not sure if they take trans oil or not????
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I cut. a 55 gal barrel off at the first ring up, and get a buddy to help empty.

But here 's the kicker,, who recycles tranny fluid? Autostores that collect engine oil won't take it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gundog wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Gundog wrote:
This is the oil pan I bought for doing my oil changes. A standard oil drain pan won't hold 19 quarts. They make this same one with a pump to pump out the waist oil but I have a forklift so for me I just lift the pan higher than the container I am draining it into and open the valve.

Oil drain pan

I just use the same old Rubbermade bucket I use for oil changes. Line with black HD trash bags for easy clean up. Use an old coffee can and funnel to transfer oil fluid to pail when finished. With a pail you have one quart left over-- I usually just ask the service department at the Allison dealer for an empty Transynd gallon jug and pour off the quart before I put the new fluid in the transmission.

All the mechanic work I have done over the years I wish I had bought this pan years ago. I like the expanded metal grate it has makes it easy to drain oil filters and I can't drop the oil plug in the bottom of the pan. The wheels keep me from sloshing the oil out when getting the pan out from under the vehicle. Now I just have to remember not to run over it.

And the money you save by doing it yourself will pay for the drain pan...:)...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Gundog wrote:
This is the oil pan I bought for doing my oil changes. A standard oil drain pan won't hold 19 quarts. They make this same one with a pump to pump out the waist oil but I have a forklift so for me I just lift the pan higher than the container I am draining it into and open the valve.

Oil drain pan

I just use the same old Rubbermade bucket I use for oil changes. Line with black HD trash bags for easy clean up. Use an old coffee can and funnel to transfer oil fluid to pail when finished. With a pail you have one quart left over-- I usually just ask the service department at the Allison dealer for an empty Transynd gallon jug and pour off the quart before I put the new fluid in the transmission.

All the mechanic work I have done over the years I wish I had bought this pan years ago. I like the expanded metal grate it has makes it easy to drain oil filters and I can't drop the oil plug in the bottom of the pan. The wheels keep me from sloshing the oil out when getting the pan out from under the vehicle. Now I just have to remember not to run over it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:

Oil drain pan

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 2004 was close but I think should have transynd. No matter I would run a fluid Analysis and Iโ€™ll bet if it is itโ€™s still in great shape. Transynd has a large use life, esp in light use like a motorhome . Iโ€™d still definitely change it , but for a few bucks you can run a analysis on it and get a report and know what your dumping and if you have any issues to be aware of
Bill

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer

Oil drain pan

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
What fluid is in the transmission from the factory?

Mine had a sticker that said Transynd you need to know because when you drain it you don't get it all out and you are not supposed to mix fluid types. Look around your engine bay and see if it tells you. You may also be able to find out through a dealer for your chassis with your VIN number. Mine had the sticker in the access panel where you would add the fluid.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

Also I think for me personally the torque value for the filter bolts are to much.

I agree. I was uncomfortable going to full recommended torque. Ended up about 10% below the minimum recommended torque. Never a leak on three different coaches/transmissions.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
What fluid is in the transmission from the factory?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I don't see how you can change the transmission filters and install 19 quarts of TranSynd especially when the fluid is roughly 70 bucks a gallon

I paid no where's near that per gallon.
Also I think for me personally the torque value for the filter bolts are to much.
Next time I do mine I will not use a torque wrench I will just snug up and go by feel.
I dodged a bullet when this one snapped and I was able to remove.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $39.95 a gallon for Transynd from the local Allison shop and I think $57 for the filter kit. Napa wanted over $129 for the filters and they did not have Transynd. It might have been $279 total I will look up the receipt.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I don't see how you can change the transmission filters and install 19 quarts of TranSynd especially when the fluid is roughly 70 bucks a gallon

You must be buying RV dealer Transynd @$70...good truck shop/Allison usually $35-$45.

Shop around some... ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer