cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

show low AZ to Albuquerque, NM

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We normally take 191 north to I-40. BUT can anyone tell me how good/bad 60 to 36 to 117 would be?
Donna
11 REPLIES 11

elmorc
Explorer
Explorer
We did this trip in June 2 MH towing and it was very little traffic and fairly good 2 lane. We were avoiding 191 St Johns to I40 this has got so bad you cannot drive over 25-30 MPH because of the dips and humps and you still might be airborne.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
We did it earlier today and it was PERFECT....very few cars and very scenic....will absolutely do it again!

Just need to watch for snow around Pie Town
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We did it earlier today and it was PERFECT....very few cars and very scenic....will absolutely do it again!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I took that route a few years ago. Scenic with very little traffic. For me that's perfect.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Roads have a few bumps, narrow in places, more than a few blind hills, great scenery, and a few sudden turns. If the speed limit is reduced before a corner, it's for a reason. Take it easy and it's a nice route.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
How do you mean okay? and how does google maps show okay..
I mean it's a real road with pavement and wide enough.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked it out on googlemaps for road quality and it looks fine barring snow which I think is fine...leaving on friday morning first light.
Thank you.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just rode this route last month on my motorcycle {Indian Springfield}, 36 to 117 is only 21 miles and then you have a nice long ride through the Malpais Refuge/Wilderness. The road is 2 lane, mostly flat, with lots of curves but little if any shoulder.

Got chased most of the way from Show Low by fast-moving, severe thunderstorms but managed to stay dry until I hit Albuquerque. Any rain can become snow or worse quickly due to the elevation. Gas up before leaving Show Low, once you hit I-40 you will have lots of options but not many choices until then. You will be about 79 miles west of Albuquerque when you merge onto I-40

Definitely an interesting route, just take your time and enjoy the scenery.

:C

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
How do you mean okay? and how does google maps show okay...I did look at that but not sure what I am looking for exactly on gm.
Donna

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps shows it being ok.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
But for the time and limited services, it's a fairly smooth 2 or 4 lane road with varying scenery. You would want to check the weather right before departing just to make sure you are not heading into some severe (short live) weather. Also, watch the speed limits and be sure to pay attention to the typical multi name streets (US 60, 80, 191 plus Main Street as in sprinerville) so you don't think your on the wrong road. As always make sure your fuel or other needs are planned since not all gas stations or restaurants are open all the time. Otherwise a nice leasurly ride with some nice small towns along the way.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.