cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Towing Capacity

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6 Liter, V-6 24 Valve VVT Engine, 8 speed automatic transmission, 4x4. Trying to determine if I can tow a small travel trailer.

I am trying to figure out what the towing capacity is. 1/2 the websites I see say 3,500 lbs the other half say 6,200 lbs. The official Jeep website says 6,200 lbs. I called the dealer where I bought it from and gave them my vin number, they told me 3,500 lbs. Even the manual says 2 different things. It says 3,500 with standard cooling and 6,200 with heavy duty cooling. Then I looked up heavy duty cooling systems and it says that they don't change the towing capacity. Camping World has a towing capacity that you can look up and that said 7,200 lbs. I checked the door sticker and it says nothing on that about towing capacity.

Who am I to believe on what the towing capacity is?
41 REPLIES 41

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Larry-D wrote:

I have the same vehicle, somewhere that is an engineer that's very proud of where he designed the brake controller plug/outlet to be plugged in.

I confess I haven't looked.
Where is it?

I think he is saying that he never found it! :E
Barney

OK, I had to find out.
Checked out ETrailer and video showed the plug up behind the ebrake.
Simple plug and go.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
NJRVer wrote:
Larry-D wrote:

I have the same vehicle, somewhere that is an engineer that's very proud of where he designed the brake controller plug/outlet to be plugged in.

Where is it?

I think he is saying that he never found it! :E
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Wife bought an '18 Overland diesel.
The tow hitch and 4/7 plug are standard equipment on it.
The diesel also has heavier brakes.

The only thing it doesn't have is a built in brake controller and tow mirrors. Which aren't offered on any that I know of.

Where is it?

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:

The only thing it doesn't have is a built in brake controller and tow mirrors. Which aren't offered on any that I know of.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Believe me I am not willing to burn up either transmission or radiator. That is why I don't think at this point I am going to buy anything to tow.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing creates heat in your engine and trans. Extra cooling capacity is required for both to increase your towing capacity.

Many years ago a friend bought a new TT to "save money on motels." It was around 26 foot model. He promptly burned up the transmission in his Jeep cherokee and went out a bought a Ford 3/4 ton with Banks add ons. How many nights do you have to spend in your trailer to make that deal pay?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
To: NJRVer
The 6,200 max towing is with the tow package installed from factory. I have called numerous Jeep dealers in my area and they have all told me that my max towing is 3,500 lbs. I do NOT have the tow package from the factory. The Jeep tow package has a heavy duty radiator.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer

blt2ski
The limited trim may have higher capacity cooling as standard, due to std best AC cooling or equal.
If that is the case, then adding a hitch, electric brake unit, wires etc, is no different than a lot of us had to do with new rigs pre 1990 or there about, as tow packages as are known today, did not exist! You put a ball on a bumper, away you went!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
On the Jeep website next to the number that is listed for max towing there is a small number. If you click on the number it pops up and says when properly equipped.
Nope. That's not there for the Limited trim, which also shows 6200 lbs with or without the tow package.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the Jeep website next to the number that is listed for max towing there is a small number. If you click on the number it pops up and says when properly equipped. That properly equipped is referring to a heavy duty cooling radiator and the correct tow equipment installed. Why it doesn't give more of an explanation I don't know.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
According to the link which is Jeep, the Limited model tows 6200. Doesn't matter 4x4, 4x2, Max Towing, they are all 6200 with the 3.6 engine.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Jeep towing capacity website.

I don't see any ambiguity - it clearly says that for a 2018 Grand Cherokee with 3.6L in Limited trim it's 6200 lbs, with or without the tow package. For some other configurations, it's a 3500 lb limit, and on some of those the tow package brings it up to 6200 lb.

Interesting.
They don't have the diesel even listed.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thing is I don't want to trade it. I bought because I can tow it 4 down behind a motor home, which is what I want to do when I retire. Just thought it would be nice to start RV'ing on weekends until I retire.