cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pets to Rocky point

New_Mexico_Road
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have problems with taking pets to Rocky Point without international health certificate?
7 REPLIES 7

Talleyho69
When returning to the US with pets, dogs must have a rabies certificate. This can be a problem if you are returning with a puppy-we have done it twice. Currently the first rabies shot cannot be given until the puppy is 4 months old for the US, even though in Mexico it's 3 months. THEN the vaccination must be 30 days old before entry. IF they ask.

We have only been asked for rabies certificates once, and as I reached for them the US official said, "That's OK, never mind."

Cats do not require anything to enter the US. Period. Mexico does require rabies certificates for cats entering. We almost got stopped at Lukeville for that, but that's another story. Just have a certificate.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends travel with cats.In the last 10 years, they have been asked twice about papers for the animals and that has been the last trips down.

Never been asked when returning to the US.

Also the last two tripe down, we were asked for registration papers for the toad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Funny that a person can just drive into Mexico,not stop and never have anyone ask a question. You could be El Chapo. But your pet needs papers

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have travelled with two dogs and two cats on ocacions and we carried only the vets rabbis vaccine paper, I guess we have been lucky, we used to cross at El Paso latter when my brother moved to San Antonio, we started crossing at McAllen, Mission bridges, I had forgotten all about those thiefs only encountered those retenes when we were pet free, they can be nastier than the customs agents, thanks for reminding us of that it has been a long time since I had any dealings with them, last cat born in the US passed away last year the one we have now was born at the house and she adopted us, she is more feral cat than tame so no travell, we have been crossing at Anzalduas since it opened, no one even checked my brother in laws passports or wifes either, we get scanned every time so cat and people down, watching my brother in law walking the cat on a leash was very entertaining for the aduaneros.

Again thanks for the heads up, out of site out of mind, so folks get those international certificates for the pets to be on the safe side and not have a nasty encounter.

Thanks Seรฑor Moisheh.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
navigator. Most crossing s do not bother you but the crossing near PP is one of the worst. It is not the border agents it is the Ag inspector. They sometimes insist on a current ( I think less than 7 days) International certificate. If it is not filled out correctly you have to go back to the USA!! This forum had lost of reports on this subject. Yet other crossing either do not have an Ag inspector or they do not care!

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Yes, legally you need a health certificate that shows the current rabies vaccination and states that the animals are free from internal and external parasites and were treated for them within 30 days of entry to Mexico.

I sent you a private message with more details. Moderator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You only need a writen rabis confirmation from the vet, not an international paper border agents in Mexico do read English, they might not speak it too good but they will understand a veterinarian document stating that you have had your rabis shot er I mean the pet or both if nessesary?

navegator