cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sad Day!

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Well I had to let my trailer go, I took $500 less than I owed but needed to cut the bill because I lost my job of 30 years. Maybe someday it will get replaced, but for now I have lots of trailer accessories to sell...
16 REPLIES 16

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the unexpected turns out for the best, you just don't know it. Ten years ago, me and the wife found the perfect house three hours from where we lived and a commute wasn't gonna happen, quit my job and never looked back, never been so well off mentally and financially once we adjusted. Good luck.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear about your job loss and trailer loss.

That sort of thing keeps me awake at night. Not only have I had the same job for 30 years but, the job comes with the house I have lived in for 30 years. I would have no job and no place to live if that happened to me.

The camper is paid for and I could live in that for a while if it was summer. If it was winter I would literately be out in the cold.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Joshuajim
That's an excellent story. How long did it take for you stop grinning all the time. ๐Ÿ™‚

We were just at J Tree. Spent 2 weeks at Sunfair dry lake.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm an attorney in So Cal. I got let go after 38 years at the age of 61. I started my own little law practice out of my home. I now only do Estate Planning, Living Trusts, etc.

It's the best thing that ever happened to me. Zero stress with no litigation or BS. Last year was a little tight but this year I've already passed what I was making prior and next year should be even better.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty years ago I worked for a General contractor building an elementary school. The project was proceeding on schedule and one day the general superintendent came in and told me they were moving me a gymnasium project for the city. I said OK but then found out that the project was a disaster and that the city forced my boss to fire the first 2 sups on the job.

I get there and meet the cities Project Manager who was Iranian and the one who got the first 2 sups fired. Turns out that we clicked and got along fabulously. The project moved forward.

Now the kicker. The General superintendent put his kid in charge of the school and he had never run a project. It went down hill fast. The General sup decided that there was no way his son caused the problems on the school, so he came to the gym and fired ME!

This pissed off the cities PM so he hired me as a full time resident inspector on the gym job. Do you have any idea how satisfying it is to have total control over the company that fired you?

Needles to say, I followed the specs and plans to the letter. It cost the company many many dollars.

Now if I has still been running the project, none of the expenditures would have been required by the city PM.

Best job I ever had!
RVing since 1995.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I really hate to hear about the job loss. It seems there is no reward for loyalty anymore.
I am at 4 months at 16 days until I retire with 39 1/2 years. I have no desire to stay 6 more for a 40 year pin. I feel good and do not want to retire but am ready to reduce stress and hours per week. I am now looking at retirement as the next chapter, and plan to do some part time work just to keep me busy.
Try to look at your situation the same, get out there and start a new chapter. Things have a way of working out in the end, stay positive.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear it. Hopefully things will work out for the better.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
that is a kick in the teeth.

2 years ago on december 16th the mom and pop business i had worked for 28 years was sold to a bigger company. myself and coworkers were not offered a job with the new company. at 47 years old i had a lot of stress thinking of the unknown.

i landed a job a month later working 40 hours a week (previous job was 55 to 60 hours) and about a 25 percent paycheck loss. fast forward to now it was the best thing that could have happened. i have zero stress and more time to go rv ing with the wife. had to make some budget decisions but it all worked out.

my point is to hang in there.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I retired from a great career then started my own company. If I had to do it over again I might just work for myself. Youโ€™re own boss and youโ€™d have a great dependable employee. Only stress is money.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
That outright sucks. My father had the same thing happen to him. After a little over 30 years, he was let go purely for political reasons that were above him. It was one of those, "You're great and we love you, but we have no choice but to let you go. Your position no longer exists." For 30 years he got up early every morning and worked 12 hour days and now all of that was gone. A little bit of panic set immediately afterwards, but once he took a breath and looked at the big picture, he realized everything would be fine. It ended up being a blessing in disguise. For almost 20 years he was on blood pressure medication. A year after he was let go, the doctor took him off of it completely. It's amazing how stress impacts the body. Maybe letting the old trailer go is the first step to bigger and better things. You never know.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
They called me into a meeting room and started the conversation with me and as long as I live, I'll never forget it. There was no "Hello, how are you doing today." There was no introduction, for example, "You were called to this meeting because we need to talk about something." There was nothing. I walked in, there was my boss and someone from Human Resources and a check on the table.

I walked in. Stood there. They looked at me, and the words out of their mouth was, "As of this moment you no longer have a relationship with this company."

I stood there for a minute, never said a word. I took the check and turned around and walked out the door. Going out, she said, "You need to read that paper and you don't need to make any decisions at this moment."

She caught up with me as I bolted out the door, and at my desk was someone else from HR with a box. I didn't say a word. I boxed up and walked out the door.

Then when I got to my car, I wished there would have been an earth quake and swallowed up the entire building. And, I still wish that on them. However, they went completely out of business, sold out and forever gone, eventually!

I STILL wish, after almost 20 years, the owner of that company would end up in jail in some foreign country where all he has to eat are bugs crawling on the floor!

Funny though, life evolved for me, and I ended up working for the next company. Been there almost 20 years now.

If they fired me now, I'm old enough now to quit anyway and draw Social Security. If that happened, and I've told my boss over and over again, I'd become an RV salesman somewhere part time and draw Social Security. I think they think I'm serious, so they keep me around. Funny how reverse psychology works on folks.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Never had that issue but then I farm so I make my own job.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah sure could have be worse, I have had it for sell for 3 months so I got lucky on that. I have levelers, xchocks, sewer hoses, folding step, 30 to 50 dogbone, just about everything that is needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wish you speedy reemployment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad