Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Vista or Itasca Sunstar Owners

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-

We took ownership of a 2015 Itasca Sunstar (identical to Winnebago Vista) recently, and have a question: the Insignia TV, which rises up out of the buffet, has an HDMI cable plugged into it. Where does it lead? I thought it was to the small compartment over the driver, but no; there is an HDMI there, but it leads to an HDMI balun in the compartment next to it which, I'm guessing, feeds the bedroom TV. And I'm sure it doesn't lead to the in-dash DVD player. The picture quality from there is so poor it must be over composite (yellow cable).

So....where does the HDMI cable plugged into the back of the TV go to? Anyone know?

Thanks-

dave
6 REPLIES 6

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gary. Great info.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
As my coach is a 2015, I wanted to add I've had 2 issues lately. The strip of sealer on the roof sealing the front cap to the roof itself peeled off and caused a leak. Dicor fixed it. The brackets for hood latching came unglued from the backside of the front cap. The issue was the epoxy lost it's grip on the brackets as Winnebago did not clean the paint off the bonding surface (on the brackets). I took a grinder and removed the paint and reglued with J-B Weld, using clamps to hold bracket while epoxy cured. You can get big tubes at Ace Hardware. I ended up having to do the metal strip that holds the front cap to the right side of the coach, too. Same cause. I suspect you can expect the on yours, too.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
There is an HDMI to CAT6 network adapter down in the buffet and the other end is in the front overhead compartment on the driver's side. That is where the "opposite" device turns the network signal back to HDMI for the satellite receiver if you add one (or could use it for DVD/Blu Ray). They pulled 2 network cables in case you wanted to get a second converter set and have both your sat and dvd player in there although changing disks would be a chore. There are various network standards (Cat 5,6,7). Be sure the devices match the cable Winnebago used on yours. You might want to see if the wall wart for the upper converter is plugged in on the passenger side. I bet you have the same issue I had. As I remember, I had CAT 5 cable and the device called for CAT 6. I went round and round with them over the incompatibility and eventually bought one myself that matched the cable in my coach. This was when it was new and still under under warranty and fixing it myself was far easier on the blood pressure. They are not expensive if yours does not work. BTW, you can upgrade your TV to a 43" 4K smart TV, it will fit. You can get matching Insignia brand at Best Buy for around $300. Much better TV experience. There is also an infrared "repeater" so your remote will operate whatever you have above the driver. There is a round "eye" on the front edge of the buffet (flickers blue when you use a remote) and there are two small emmitters in the overhead on long wires. They have double sided tape on the back side so you can stick them where your device can see them. If you decide to go satellite, there is a cable hidden in the roof structure. You should have in your paperwork a template that shows where to use a holesaw to get to it. If not, Winne customer service can email you one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-LAN-EXTENDER-OVER-CAT-5E-CAT-6-RJ45-UP-TO-200FT-1080P-With-2-AC-Adapters/121145037313?hash=item1c34ce9201:g:6sgAAOSwA29Y5IDv:rk:6:pf:0

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Winnebago Resources,
and then scroll down to your unit/model and then go to the TV/DVD wiring section.
That should help.

Ken

Edit. If the HDMI cable was installed by a previous owner, all bets are off. Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 27N I thought it was for the satellite hook-up

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There's a TV in the buffet?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)