cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blowout took out my slide wiring

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
So we took a trip from the Portland area to see my step son and fiance in Vegas last month, we spent a transient night in Sparks both ways and heading out of Reno my transmission control module blew on the Chevy so had to drive a little more cautious on the hills and had to use manual coming down them.

Not really bothering me but when we were about 20 minutes from home on I-5 I felt some bucking and looked in the rear view mirror in time to see the drivers side rear tire blow and belch out some smoke.

Pulled it right over and checked out the damage, small bend to the skirting so not difficult to repair but after changing the tire I saw the wiring had wrapped up in the back my hub where the brakes are.

It took me as long to get the wires out of the hub as it did to change he tire.

I went to our local Discount tire and had GY endurance tires put on and they noticed the failed Carlisle was dated 2015 and they asked me if I'd like them to ship that tire back to them and start a claim so I said yes and I'm not sure where that process will go.

The wiring was really hammered and the AC line was sucked out of the slide and none of the lights work either, I have the unit going in today and wondered if I can get the tire company to help cover the wiring costs?

I also feel like my brakes are not grabbing, when I went to the tire shop I didn't feel much on the manual switch and before it worked well.

I have full coverage insurance but not sure how much the repairs are going to run.

Should I press the tire company to cover this? Should I use insurance or just bite the bullet and get it fixed?

I'm afraid to hook up the shore power and get some sort of short so hopefully it can be done quickly and maybe better to some degree but I've wondered if anyone else had a similar situation and how you fared.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
13 REPLIES 13

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Unlikely to get any satisfaction from Carlisle, but it sure doesn't hurt to try. That's a shame, as I thought Carlisle was getting their act together after making some sorry excuses for tires around 2010.

It sounds like you may have pulled a wire loose from the brake, maybe inside the drum/axle. A lot of the brake wires can be daisy-chained together, so if you lose one wire, you may lose another also.

Carlisle will almost certainly say that the tire failed due to a road hazard that caused it to go flat. GY is the =only= company that I've ever heard of paying for damage, and that was only on the G614, AFAIK. Not saying you shouldn't try, but your own insurance company will be the one paying.

Lyle

C'mon Lyle!

Where were you for all the threads, posts, on GY Marathon failures?.:h

GY would "usually" cover damage due to their tires (Owners needed the carcass).

Of course - *nobody* covers your down time!..:(

Start out with a *known* quality tire (with a proven "track record") - which would *NOT* be Carlisle - or various GY......unless you like to roll the dice..:W

Fisher Bill (OP): Of course you should file!
To both the tire mfgr -and- your insurance company!

Get tough - :M - Nothing to lose!

~

News to me. I've never heard of GY covering damage from a Marathon failure, though most people I knew wouldn't touch one with =your= 10 foot pole. I'd only ever heard of GY covering damage from the 614s. Hell, most people I knew, grouped Marathons right along with Blow Max, Blow Master, Green Blows, old Carlisles, etc. My old Komfort had a set of Carlisle RHs on them going on 6 years when I sold it. Yes, they were E's when I was placarded for D's, and I kept them covered and on boards in storage and I rarely exceeded 65, even though they had a 70+ mph rating. I'd buy another set unless someone gave me a smoking deal on a set of Endurance or 16" wheels and tires. (shrug)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
So Carlyle reached out and said I need the receipt for the tires, I told her we bought the trailer with them already installed so she's asking for the bill of sale for the trailer so I'll see how this plays out.

Will contact insurance today and hopefully get some more pressure...
Our first fifth wheel!!!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Unlikely to get any satisfaction from Carlisle, but it sure doesn't hurt to try. That's a shame, as I thought Carlisle was getting their act together after making some sorry excuses for tires around 2010.

It sounds like you may have pulled a wire loose from the brake, maybe inside the drum/axle. A lot of the brake wires can be daisy-chained together, so if you lose one wire, you may lose another also.

Carlisle will almost certainly say that the tire failed due to a road hazard that caused it to go flat. GY is the =only= company that I've ever heard of paying for damage, and that was only on the G614, AFAIK. Not saying you shouldn't try, but your own insurance company will be the one paying.

Lyle

C'mon Lyle!

Where were you for all the threads, posts, on GY Marathon failures?.:h

GY would "usually" cover damage due to their tires (Owners needed the carcass).

Of course - *nobody* covers your down time!..:(

Start out with a *known* quality tire (with a proven "track record") - which would *NOT* be Carlisle - or various GY......unless you like to roll the dice..:W

Fisher Bill (OP): Of course you should file!
To both the tire mfgr -and- your insurance company!

Get tough - :M - Nothing to lose!

~

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Lyle

I had two GY Marathons blowout 2 days apart and GY covered the $3,100 damage on my 5er.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Carlisle came out with a improved RH ST tire in 2013. There has been reports like the OP's issue on the RH series tires.

Carlisle came out with the new and improved HD ST tires in sept of 2016 so the OP tires were the older Carlisle RH models.

Agree with others....check with Carlisle....and file a complaint on nhtsa tire complaints.
Be sure and give all info that is asked as NHTSA shitz cans those complaints that don't have the proper info.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Claim everything damaged and wait for a reply. If โ€œno,โ€ appeal it. Your independent agent will help you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
I just checked and our deductible is $500, I wonder if I can claim the tires also?

Talk to your adjuster. Tell him about turning the tire in for a claim and see what they say, your insurance adjuster.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Fisher Bill wrote:
I just checked and our deductible is $500, I wonder if I can claim the tires also?

I'd certainly try, especially if they're all the same lot.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Our first fifth wheel!!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Several years back we had a tire separate and take out part of our step, fender, and some underbelly work. We called our insurance company and the RV shop turned in all the work. Our deductible was $250 and all the work was close to $2k. On top of that, even though the culprit tire was not covered, the nearby tire that was also damaged was. It was all under comprehension and our insurer told us to not ever hesitate to turn something like this in as it doesn't go against you. Sorry that happened.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
blow outs can happen on any brand don,t think your going to get any help from them ,but turn a claim into your insurer. might call them before the repairs for approval.