cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot spot and data drain

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you have a sense as to how much data I might burn if using a tv with a Roku stick, signing in with my cable subscriber and feeding it with ny WiFi hotspot.

Iโ€™m wondering how much data will get used for appx every hour of tv. The hotspot does not have unlimited data so I want to be mindful of burn rates.
34 REPLIES 34

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
One can eliminate all this by using linux as an operating system instead of Windows. There are some programs that won't run under linux, but for everyday use linux is much better, and gives you complete control of updates.

Yeah, No! Thanks anyway.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Well something is going on with my PC I have BITS disabled so it will not start up before tomorrow. I hope going to 1809 will fix whatever it is with BITS.

I thought this may be an unexplained dater eater for others with unknown high data usage however it may just be unique to me.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
One can eliminate all this by using linux as an operating system instead of Windows. There are some programs that won't run under linux, but for everyday use linux is much better, and gives you complete control of updates.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting tidbit. I turned BITS on (started) and then restarted my computer. BITS turned itself off (stopped) after a very short period and stays stopped.
I wonder if there is something going on within your network that keeps starting BITS.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
About BITS:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is a component of Microsoft Windows 2000 and later iterations of the operating systems, which facilitates asynchronous, prioritized, and throttled transfer of files between machines using idle network bandwidth. It is most commonly used by recent versions of Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and System Center Configuration Manager to deliver software updates to clients, Microsoft's anti-virus scanner Microsoft Security Essentials to fetch signature updates, and is also used by Microsoft's instant messaging products to transfer files. BITS is exposed through the Component Object Model

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Tom-Not sure that would work since Windows Update does not need BITS to run.

Turned on my laptop just now and BITS was running and metered connection was still turned on.

I found somewhere BITS was required for Google update not sure what Google updates has to due with my PC I don't use Chrome, MSN Explorer also uses BITS.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Try this:
Windows Update Blocker

It's been working well for me.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Well that didn't work I thought I had set for metered connection but it was off so I turned it back on and this morning it was back off and 180MB was used before I found metered connection back off. Turned it back on and data drain stopped immediately.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
garry1p wrote:
No idea I am on win 1803 and have to keep my eye on it since it starts by itself and can run up a GB on my Mobley in an hour or so. I always check 1st thing and disable it I haven't let it run long enough to see if it stops.

It says it's needed for updates but my systems updates just fine without it running.

To put a stop to all of this just go to Settings/WiFi/manage networks. Tell Windows you are on a metered connection.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The short version is that it depends on the quality of the content you're streaming. From their Help page: โ€œWatching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.โ€Jan 24, 2017
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
No idea I am on win 1803 and have to keep my eye on it since it starts by itself and can run up a GB on my Mobley in an hour or so. I always check 1st thing and disable it I haven't let it run long enough to see if it stops.

It says it's needed for updates but my systems updates just fine without it running.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I followed your directions and found that mine is already stopped. I have never seen it before and don't know what would make it stop or run. Any idea?

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
If using windows 10 maybe earlier versions you have a program running in the background (BITS) "background intelligent services". This thing is a data hog and you can stop it but it will restart at will.
Took me awhile to find it but do this.

Right click on an open spot of the the task bar at the bottom, click on task manager, click on services. You can click on "name" top left to alphabetizer the names, scroll down to BITS, left click then right click and stop the service.

Another way is to go to local services and disable this will keep it off for up to 2 days but you have to check from time to time as it will come back on.

To verify BITS is running right click on the Wifi or Ethernet icon, click on "open network & internet settings, click on "change adapter settings", double click on what you are using to connect to the internet this will open a box that shows your internet usage in real time. If BITS is running you will see the counter constantly running up even if the only thing you have open is RV.net
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

96Bounder30E
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from tech issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers