cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sulfur smell

quadley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, need your thoughts on the sulfur smell in the hot water from the bathroom sink only. I drained the hot water tank and no smell there, just at the hot water faucet in the bath sink, stinks! The so called stainless sink in the bath was showing rust and the dealer replaced it. It has smelled ever since, not the sink but the hot water!
Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

quadley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts on the smell. When I get the 5r out of the barn in the spring the first thing I'll do is dig into this problem with many good ideas from all of you. Now it's time to cut wood.
thanks again,
Quadley

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A water filter pitcher like Zero does a good job of eliminating the odor for drinking water.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
The =other= cause of that smell in your water is actual sulfur in the water, when you're on a well that's near hot springs. We visited friends in CO who had that issue and they said just pour a pitcher of water and let it sit open for about 30-60 minutes and the smell would go away. We did, and it did. Tasted just fine, too! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.thervgeeks.com/water-and-sewer/water-heater-flush-inspect/

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The odor is caused by a hot water bacteria like the ones in Yellowstone. Empty your water heater, add chlorine bleach and let it sit then flush the system.

My brother had the same problem with his well in Oregon. We had it here in Nevada during a drought. County Health Dept calls for a quart of chlorine bleach down the well head. Problem solved.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete

48ford
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood tanks can produce that smell from a reaction of hard water and the aluminum tank and being stagnant. Tried bleach flush and that didn't work for long. Read the manual and Atwood says to use vinegar. Worked well for 5 years so far.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD EC/SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison Onyx Black
DeeZee SS Nerf Bars Line X
2006 Open Road 349RL3S-5

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress just beat me to the punch:) I had the same stinky problem with my new at the time 2012 5er that I could not figure out and somebody told me to hook up a hose to my Washer hot and cold lines and run them outside or in a bucket whatever to get the stale water out of those lines since I do not have a Washer in my rig either and that did the trick
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered a sulfur smell in my bathroom sink was from water in the lines running to the washing machine, which I donโ€™t have. I flushed the two lines and the smell was gone.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Check the air admittance valve, usually located under the vanity top. Might have been damaged when sink replaced.

I call it an internal vent but that could be a possibility.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same smell. Flushed the hot water heater and changed the anode. Problem gone.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Check the air admittance valve, usually located under the vanity top. Might have been damaged when sink replaced.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our sulfur smell was one of the starting batteries that went bad. And of course it was the back one, you had to pull the front one to see that the second battery was bad.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Anode rods in the water heater are notorious for causing the sulphur or rotten egg odor. But that would not explain the bathroom sink only with the odor.