cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

40 gallon propane tank on 27 freelander

larryherrington
Explorer
Explorer
I filled my propane tank and used it pretty heavy for 2 nights. I had the gas on the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. I am down to 1/3 to 1/4 tank. Is this normal? I have looked for leaks, but cannot find any.
18 REPLIES 18

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
My specks show a 25 gal tank. I just filled it from empty with 18.8 gal of propane to get ready for a trip after Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Propane is running $3.00 a gallon right now.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20-23 gallon frame tank plus I carry a 30# along also. I installed the extra hose kit to connect it to. If I'm parked for a while I leave the frame tank off and hook up the 30#.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

larryherrington
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all for the posts. I will be more careful with my post topics. I did say 40 gal. that is a lot.

thanks to all

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I normally go to a place in town that does home propane fills, and they also do 20lb bar-bq tanks and Propane cars and trucks. I normally fill our tank every 4 weekends of use, but I also carry a 20 lb Bar-bq tank that can and has been used when I dont want to have to move the motorhome in the winter, but wanted to work in the camper.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea how it is down there, but up here on the Island it is getting hard to find a place that will fill tanks. Lots of places to fill or swap cylindars, but few places that have tank filler pumps (and anybody that knows how). There are "commercial" places for trucks, but I don't think? they do RVs.

So I fill it when I am near one of those few places that do RVs, whether it needs it or not. I am worried that one day, I will have to get one of those extend a stay adapters and go with cylindars.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BF,

23.2 gallons is a great size propane tank for a Class C rig ... I wish mine was that large.

Mine is marked as 17.6 gallons W.C. (water capacity), which means it holds the equivalent of about two 30 lb. bottles when full. The outside area where mine is tucked away could easily hold a tank the size of yours. I just had it replaced before an upcoming trip, but we didn't have the time to get some shop to custom-install a larger size.

It's not that we "need" the extra propane capacity, but the longer time between fill-ups ... the better IMHO.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
I am not up on today's fashions in propane tank size per foot of Class C, but note that 40lb in a 27 footer seems small.

Our 1991 came in three sizes: 24, 26, and 28. The first two had 45 lb tanks and our 28 has a 76 lb tank.

So our 28 is only a foot longer than that new 27, but has a 76 lb tank instead of a 40. Doesn't seem right somehow. What does that 27 have instead of a bigger propane tank?

When you day your 28 has a 76 lb. tank ... does that mean it's about an 18 gallon tank?

If so, that means that the actual lbs. of propane that your tank can hold - after filling to the common legal 80% - is around 60 lbs. of propane.

I was trying to understand how that all works about a year ago, and DrewE explained (after I said the tank is marked 23.2 Gal)

23.2 gallons would be the water capacity. LPG capacity is about 80% of that, allowing for headspace. Thus, when properly filled, it would hold just about exactly 70 liters of LPG, or around 75 pounds, or the equivalent of two and a half 30 lb bottles.
Photo in Profile

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
I am not up on today's fashions in propane tank size per foot of Class C, but note that 40lb in a 27 footer seems small.

Our 1991 came in three sizes: 24, 26, and 28. The first two had 45 lb tanks and our 28 has a 76 lb tank.

So our 28 is only a foot longer than that new 27, but has a 76 lb tank instead of a 40. Doesn't seem right somehow. What does that 27 have instead of a bigger propane tank?

When you day your 28 has a 76 lb. tank ... does that mean it's about an 18 gallon tank?

If so, that means that the actual lbs. of propane that your tank can hold - after filling to the common legal 80% - is around 60 lbs. of propane.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
40 gallons or 40 pounds? Either way it could just be the gauge is a bit conservative. Have the tank filled and see what was really used.

If it is just 40 pounds that is not much propane and might be right. My 26' trailer carries 2x 30 pound cylinders.

Also a good time for a leak check as this will also use a bit of propane. (from experience)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

Photo in Profile

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As a rough but easy to remember rule of thumb, an RV fridge uses somewhere in the vicinity of a pound of propane a day. Its actual usage depends on the fridge size, the efficiency and quality of its installation, how frequently you open the door or put warm stuff inside, the ambient temperature, and probably a few other variables.

Using other propane appliances tends to have a greater effect than the fridge, the furnace more so than the water heater or cooktop (and a propane generator far more than any of the rest).

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
larryherrington wrote:
I filled my propane tank and used it pretty heavy for 2 nights. I had the gas on the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. I am down to 1/3 to 1/4 tank. Is this normal? I have looked for leaks, but cannot find any.

As others have pointed out you have a 40# tank not 40 gal. The question is, was it full when you started? I use to use a 40# tank on a extend a stay and could normally get 6-7 days out of it using the furnace and hot water heater and refrigerator. (the furnace is a real energy hog). If I wasn't using the furnace I could easily go 2+ weeks.
What I would do is go fill the tank and that way you will have a more accurate record of what you used.
Let us know what you find out.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two 30 lb. tanks on our fiver. Running just the frig (12 cu. ft. four-door) for a week will barely pull down one tank. In very cold weather (like single-digit lows and highs in the low 20s with high winds), the furnace will use a 30 lb./7 gal. tank in 1-1/2 - 2 days. If your usage is just the frig as stated, something's not right.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
The title of your post may have an error in it. The propane tank in your 27 foot Class C is most likely a 40 POUND tank ... thus around 10 gallons, or 12 gallons of raw tank liquid capacity.

You got it. The sales brochure states 40 POUNDS not gallons for 9.7 gallons at full.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.