cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you wax your fiberglass roof?

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if there are any restrictions, or better solutions, for the roof.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara
13 REPLIES 13

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I wash it and use 303 Aerospace Protectant once a year.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:
Just wondering if there are any restrictions, or better solutions, for the roof.

After cleaning with soap and water, using a long handled brush, we've found that if you don't apply some kind of floor polish, you'll have streaks coming over the sides, before long.
As for it being slick, just be careful, like said and not like it's used as a dance floor for everyday living.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wax ours 2x a year. First time I used a paste wax, but it was a real pain on the non-skid areas molded into the fiberglas. After that first time, I went to a spray wax. I use Optimum which has a UV inhibitor . Easy spray on,no buffing. Only takes a few minutes to do the entire roof.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have waxed the fiberglass roof on our last 2 MHs. I think it really helps protect them plus reduces the black streaks on the sides that come from a dirty roof. That being said I am aging and may not be up to waxing many more times, but I do try to keep the roof clean to prevent black streaks on the side walls!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
No different than a boat - of course you wax it. Just know what you are walking on and wear the right shoes.

The Winnebago roof is not painted, just Gelcoat so use a good marine wax, not automotive.

I was thinking along those lines too. I owned a few glass boats and always waxed them, never slipped off them. But good tip on the marine wax, had not thought of that.

Thanks to all who responded, I will be careful (and wear my boat shoes)
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
No different than a boat - of course you wax it. Just know what you are walking on and wear the right shoes.

The Winnebago roof is not painted, just Gelcoat so use a good marine wax, not automotive.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
I just clean it with soap and water and then put on a coat of Mop-N-Glo yearly.

X2, except I did 2 coats of Mop 'n Glo this year and it lasted all season. No white streaks down the sides at all.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:

steve,
Yep, waxed it a couple of times in the 7.5 years of ownership. OF COURSE it's going to be a bit slippery WHEN WET up there. Geeeze, it's not rocket science. All you have to do is BE CAREFUL. You're not supposed to be Dancing With the Stars up there, just inspecting, cleaning, checking, caulking or whatever the purpose is for being up there.

It's fiberglass and as such, in the sun, will deteriorate and oxidise. So, some cleaning, and protecting IS NECESSARY on occasion. I'm not a fan of floor wax on any part of a motor home, but, to each his own. When we got ours, the roof was in fair shape. So, a good washing with a good dish soap and water and some cleanser to get any and all oxidation off.

Then, out came the Dewalt buffer. Not the cheapie type you get at Autozone, it's the one the pros use. And I used machine rubbing and polishing compound. Once that was all done, then out came KIT car wax. The whole process took me about two days. But it was well, well worth it. That roof has been in great shape now for over 5 years. It's about time to do it again. Winter is upon us in AZ and I can do many projects, that being one of them.
Scott

Below is the result of as stated, about 1.5-2 days, with plenty of breaks. You can see the reflection of the tubing for the drive-under cover in them.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't wax ours. Just clean it. DH walks up there.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not favor waxing roof's on motor homes.. WHY.

Well one of us is going to have to walk around up there. and waxed surfaces can be slippery. espically when wet. and 12 feet means you hit the ground at. as I recall about 18 miles per hour (may be off a bit on that)

S-16T^2 (where S is in feet)
V=32T (Again in feet per second) T is time by the way,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wash it with dawn and do not wax..:do not need to slide off it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I hose mine down to get the heavy dirt off. Then I use a soft brush with a little Dawn dish detergent in it. If there is a special protectent that is advised, I would be interested in hearing that.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I just clean it with soap and water and then put on a coat of Mop-N-Glo yearly.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad