cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Reseal Front Cap to Roof - What to Use?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a 2007 Winn Voyage with 1-pc fiberglass roof and front fiber glass cap. The cap overlaps the roof so there is a 1/4" offset at the seam. The caulking has deteriorated and I want to scrape original away and reseal. What is the best caulking to use for this location? For the antenna mount and vents I use the Dicor sealant, but it was not used for this location originally and does not seem suitable. Appreciate your help.
Thank you....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used Eternabond on our several years ago as a preventative. We also did every seam and around any opening up top. Aluminum roof. No leaks.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Nothing is forever.....

Comparing the service life of Eternabond to anything that comes out of a tube in a semi liquid state that dries or solidifies I would say forever is an accurate comparison. The bigger the glob the better the job isn't the best method for weather sealing.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing is forever.....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tape it with Eternabond and it's sealed, forever. Caulk it and you'll be resealing in a few years.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
In the sealant map above, B is the non-leveling Dicor type goop. D is the one that needs repair. Any one know what the type D Winn sealant is? Or must it be ordered from Winn?
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Perhaps call Winnebago customer service and ask what they recommend. Here is a callout sheet that shows the various Winnie sealants for the different applications on your motorhome.

Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Eternabond. I was talked into a couple reseals with Dicor and it will flex and crack on large seams. P
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Clean VERY well and use Eternabond.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Eternabond tape. I used it on a roof seam on my previous trailer. Applied right it is for all practical purposes a permanent fix. They have full instructions on their website so that you can learn about it in advance before buying it.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
My front and rear end caps are sealed to my aluminum roof with Dicor Self-Leveling lap sealant. I had to re-apply last year due to some minor leaks, and after cleaning/applying, the Dicor, no more leaks! I've read many on here that use Eternabond tape for the seams and then the lap sealant along the edges. I think either would do the job nicely for you.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------