cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Keys

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like some advice on what to see and do. We are thinking of going down there this coming January or February - stopping and exploring as we go.

We like hiking, history, unusual things... Already planning to see the forts - Zachary Taylor and Jefferson.

We won't have an RV with us so no campground info is needed - just want to know where to stop and what not to miss. Any recommendations?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
20 REPLIES 20

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the often missed springs in Ocala, Dunnellon, And Crystal River in the north central part of Florida.

Incredible unbelievable deep clear blue waters the fourth largest deepest springs in the US. It's like walking into another world. Water is so crystal clear and blue you can see all the way to the bottom

Kayaking, canoe, or tubing down the swift moving Rainbow river in Dunnellon.

Or stop in Crystal River and Swim with the manatees in the town of Crystal River which is on the Gulf Coast. There are a ton of things to do in that town!

Best kept secret in Florida. Shhh, don't tell anyone! :C

Florida state parks website is under construction but here are a few others.

http://www.threesistersspringsvisitor.org/

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/rainbow-springs-state-park

https://www.floridastateparks.org/rainbowsprings/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Bo's Fish Wagon 801 Caroline St. A must see. Cash only.
Blue Heaven restaurant
Keyweststeps .com tells you step distance if you are walking.
Keywestbarcard .com for discounts on restaurants and backstage pass
Trolley
Also Web cams at Schooner Wharf Bar and Smokin' Tuna
City of Key West website has cruise ship schedules a good to know.
Try to get out on the water.
It is nice to have some idea notes because there is a lot of fun things to do.
We rented a car one day and drove up to Bahia Honda SP and checked out RV parks along the way for future reference. In Marathon area is the Turtle Hospital and the Dolphin Research Center.

Where are you staying? I have looked at many places. If we go w/o the trailer I would want to stay at Angelina Guest House.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who gave ideas!

We're all reserved up and are planning our itinerary. Can't wait!

This is kind of a bucket list thing for us - that's where we want to go, way down in Kokomo.

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
So much to see. Bring $$$
Key West Harbor (bight)bars and restaurants, Jimmy Buffet studio(white building, no sign), boat tours - we enjoyed the Jolly Rover II
6toejam web site for bands
Key West Garden club at West Martello Tower, free
White Street pier
Rent bikes and tour the island
Mile marker 0
Simonton street beach, less crowded to see sunset
Smokin Tuna Bar and Many other great bars
Liveduvalstreet .com web cam outside of Sloppy Joes
Coupon books, happy hours
Turtle races at Turtle Kraals
Much, much more
Beware you may get Keys Disease! Only cure is to go back again ๐Ÿ™‚
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
Weโ€™re skipping Florida this January. Gonna Hit New Orleans for a week instead. I havenโ€™t been there since 1999, And the other guys in my group have never been

If you get tired of NOLA, go west to the Lafayette area and explore the small Cajun towns. Nice folks, great food, a fracti9n of the cost.

Tabasco factory, etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re skipping Florida this January. Gonna Hit New Orleans for a week instead. I havenโ€™t been there since 1999, And the other guys in my group have never been
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
dockmasterdave wrote:
I hope places to stay are already booked.

OK I'll ask. Why would you wish that on anyone?

I believe he is hoping the OP has already made reservations.

Not to mention the OP isnโ€™t asking about places to stay.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
dockmasterdave wrote:

OK I'll ask. Why would you wish that on anyone?
Puma 30RKSS

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
The Truman white house is there and pretty interesting. We also visited the Hemingway home. Did you know it has the first swimming pool built in Key West? Whatever you do, dont get caught up in the shoddy tshirt shops on Duval street.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.melfisher.org/

The Mel Fisher museum is awesome. It's regarding his over 20 year search for a shipwreck. "Today's the day" he would say every day.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's another resource Key West magazine
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like old Florida off the beaten path stuff;

Before the Keys is an area called The Redlands outside Miami. There is a County park called Fruit and Spice Park (Homestead). Totally worth the time.

Also worth it nearby is the Coral Castle.

If youโ€™re camping try to get into Larry Penny Thompson Park, another county Park. Built in a Mango Plantation.

There is a self guided driving tour of the Redlands.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses! We've got stuff to check out...

JoeH wrote:
For your history quest, there is an abandoned Nike missile site on north Key Largo. It's pretty much grown over, but you might be interested in seeing the remains. The Carribean Club in Key Largo was where the movie Key Largo was filmed. Another movie relick is the boat African Queen which is located in Key Largo. You can take a cruise on it. Another possibility is to stop for a tour of Pigeon Key off Marathon. It's an old work camp for the overseas railway. Indian Key State park has an abandoned village. You can rent kayaks at Robbies and paddle out there. You can feed tarpon at Robbie's also. bahia Honda state park is worth a visit. It's still in recovery mode from Irma, but still worth stopping. Big Pine Key has the endangered key deer roaming about. Take the road back to No Name Key and you;ll likely see many of the dog sized deer. In KW, take a walk thru the cemetery- interesting inscriptions in the markers.
Thanks for this - exactly what we're looking for - great stuff! And - we were planning on watching "Key Largo" again before we go. ๐Ÿ™‚

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo