Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slideouts in winter

Bassmon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guy's.
I haven't posted in a while. We get very little snow in winter, but is it good to keep the slide outs in or out in winter time.
Larry
Larry
8 REPLIES 8

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Why not leave them in if it's just being stored. Less chance of leaks, less exposure to the roofs and seals.

B.O.

X2-- totally agree with BO!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
For storage during the winter I keep the slide in. With my limited knowledge of slide seals I'm guessing the better sealing occurs with the slide in rather than out.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have to worry about snow, but I agree with Lynn and B.O. that they are better sealed (and more stable) when kept in unless I need to get to something in the trailer.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I got stuck one night with the slides out and an ice storm. Not a lot of fun getting on the roof and clearing the ice. I can sleep, use the bathroom and get to the fridge with the slides in......wish I had put them in.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not leave them in if it's just being stored. Less chance of leaks, less exposure to the roofs and seals.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've always ued our campers in the winter driveway camping. Slides are out. But when "they" are calling for snow, I pull the slides in until the snow fall ends. That's another reason why we always opted for a camper that was functional with slides in.

I probably do not need to pull the slides in and they can handle snow with no problem, but if something ever happened and we needed to bug-out fast, and there was snow on top of the slides, it would not be a very fun activity removing the snow to get the slides in. I'm always thinking pro-active with the camper. I try to keep it, always, ready for travel, even in the dead-of-winter.

Slides in if predicting snow, or when not using it. Slides out when using it.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just to store it, I'd leave slides in all Winter. If you have it parked, and use on occasion, I'd leave them out. IMO, it is best not to operate slides in/out often when temps are extremely cold. A lot depends on what extremes your temps are.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
In is better. Less area for wind to catch. Now if your living in it thats a different story.