cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Control Thermostst?

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
The thermostat for my motorhome is in the middle of the coach. If I want to turn on/off AC/heat, my DW has to get up and go back to set it to the desired setting while traveling, or I have to pull over and do it myself. DW has mobility problems, so I would prefer she not do it.

I can turn on/off the generator from the drivers seat, so why not the T-stat? Anyone know of a remote control T-stat I could adapt for this purpose?

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad
8 REPLIES 8

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
zigzagrv wrote:

Executive: Just how do YOU spell 'thermostat'? :B

Just razzin you about your headline post. "Remote Control Thermostast...:)....Dennis

Hehe...missed that...good finger check catch. :S

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
zigzagrv wrote:

Just razzin you about your headline post. "Remote Control Thermostast...:)....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. As you can see in my sig, it is definitely not a 'high end' motorhome. So adapting it to work from a cell phone would not be that easy, or so I think, even though I am a RETIRED (25 years ago) electronics/computer guy. (I haven't kept up with technology since then.....at my age I prefer the KISS method)

I like the idea of just running parallel wires to the front of the coach, but don't look forward to fishing wires. I do have a couple unused switches on my dash control panel though. I could just set the controls to A/C or heat and the desired temp at the T-stat before hitting the road and then just turning on or off from the dash.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I did some research after jorbill asked, and I had a darn hard time finding what I bought 8 years ago.. a simple battery operated digital thermostat with a remote control. Seems everything has gone internet now, which appears to make it more difficult.

Sure is nice to pump up the heat in the coach from bed before getting up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I asked this question elsewhere and looked into a smart thermostat like we have avail in sticks and bricks homes and was told by several techs and manufacturers that the RV systems , at least mine , are not yet compatable with these type thermostats I have a duo therm and can upgrade to a newer version of that but that's it. Many newer high end RV' seem to be computer controlled and do this. But in my older unit No controlling it from my phone. I would welcome such a device.
Bill

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several thermostats that work with Alexa. That way you could keep your eyes and hands on driving while simply telling it what you want it to do. Google thermostats. (Hint: spell it correctly :B).....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
There are several "smart" t-stats on the market that can be controlled by your cell phone. It would simply be a matter of mapping the wires correctly.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
You could just add a toggle switch the would shut the unit off completely but would need to run 2 wires from the stat to the drivers seat that breaks the red wire on your stat.