cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gonna get cold, pipes?

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 15' Winnebago-37F. Tanks are all empty, lines are full. Having winterized Wed. (along with a couple of other things) Is running the gas furnace enough to get thru the nights till then? Supposed to be 20 tonight. Will I get enough warm air circulation?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
25 REPLIES 25

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:

On a slightly different subject, PEX waterlines are supposed to be able to survive freezing, just like a garden hose.

Good Luck. Yes the pex tubing will usually survive freezing. The crimped on fittings however usually will not.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 dog nights wrote:
You guys are too much. Yes, if I pay someone to work on my stuff I expect them to stand behind it. If I have put the system in danger prior to them working on it I will tell them. Always have, always will, that is why my service people will work with me and give me a priority. This is a new vendor, I have to earn their trust as they earn my business.

You pretty well described why I do as much of my own work as I can. I am the only one that I have found that stands behind my work.

On a slightly different subject, PEX waterlines are supposed to be able to survive freezing, just like a garden hose. I find that after I drain the tank (and water heater) I can turn on the water pump and it moves enough air to do an adequate job of blowing out the lines with very little work. I then undo the feed line to the pump itself to make sure that it is drained, make sure that the water filter is empty and pour a little antifreeze in each P-trap and I am done. I do keep some heat going but I am not sure how much it helps.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, well Ralph was right. I put an indoor out door sensor next to the water pump(which is located in a compartment next to the rear wheel on the outside wall) Set the thermostat to 50. Got up this morning to 23 outside, 50 in the coach and 44 @ the waterpump. Will finish my coffee and read the paper and go out and turn things off. Feel much better knowing everything worked like it's supposed to. (as you can probably tell, coach is new to us)
Bob & Lynn

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Might put an electric heater in the basement. Any reason you can't pump or blowout yourself?

4 reasons..
1) Back
2) Hips
3) Knees
4) and most important, I want someone I can hold responsible if anything happens. So off to the dealer & as I said, need some other things looked at and adjusted while I'm there.

So you want to hold someone else responsible for you waiting too long to winterize your rig? Or what am I missing here?

I don't think he waited too long.

Central VA had some areas that dropped below 25 about 2AM and went to 22 or so but the highs are close to 50 and will be back above 32 as soon as the sun rises, and that's in the higher elevations. The long range shows nothing below 32 for at least 8 days out, and even then (weekend of 11-17) lows only around 29. Highs in or close to the 50's all week and into the week of 11-19.

The OP is worrying over nothing.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know you can't predict the weather, but why did you come home 5 days early if you knew your appt date?
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, I have found your advise and experience to be very helpful on my previous unit and hope I can depend on it in the future. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I would love to buy you a coffee/beer. Not trying to get something over on someone, just want them to stand behind their work. nothing more, nothing less.
Bob & Lynn

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are too much. Yes, if I pay someone to work on my stuff I expect them to stand behind it. If I have put the system in danger prior to them working on it I will tell them. Always have, always will, that is why my service people will work with me and give me a priority. This is a new vendor, I have to earn their trust as they earn my business.
Bob & Lynn

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
3 dog nights wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Might put an electric heater in the basement. Any reason you can't pump or blowout yourself?

4 reasons..
1) Back
2) Hips
3) Knees
4) and most important, I want someone I can hold responsible if anything happens. So off to the dealer & as I said, need some other things looked at and adjusted while I'm there.

So, you expect the Dealer to test your complete system BEFORE they winterize?????? Will you pay them to do that? Will you be honest and admit that you had the RV in freezing weather BEFORE you brought it in for winterization? Our policy is simple. IF we had freezing weather before the unit is brought in for winterization, we ask if they want a water system/appliance test BEFORE we winterize. We charge 1.0 hour labor to do that. If the customer declines, we winterize and the RO states that we are not responsible in the spring if freeze damage is found. Doug

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Mitch, didn't give the front story. Just got back from our southern beach trip. Booked the dealer back in Sept., this was the earliest they could get us in. Only reason we came back when we did.
Bob & Lynn

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dog nights wrote:
2oldman wrote:

4 reasons..
1) Back
2) Hips
3) Knees

So you want to hold someone else responsible for you waiting too long to winterize your rig? Or what am I missing here?
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hang the light so it touches nothing. Or put a bedside table lamp in the bay.

3 dog nights wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Dollar Tree usually carries regular 100 watt light bulbs. They make good heat sources for pipes.

Fear the heat would melt the bay floor. Both wet bays are heavy plastic
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Dollar Tree usually carries regular 100 watt light bulbs. They make good heat sources for pipes.

Fear the heat would melt the bay floor. Both wet bays are heavy plastic
Bob & Lynn

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer