cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer Storage and Mold

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 5er and spend Summers up North and the Winters in NC. This year we came back to our closed up RV and found mold everywhere. It took many days to clean it up. Does anyone have a fix to eliminate the mold while the RV is closed up in a humid climate during the summer? The unit had no damage from the hurricane...just mold from moisture.
12 REPLIES 12

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We thought of the A/C, but if there is a problem with it or if leaks develop we would be in trouble. We are gone for about 6 months. Good suggestion. We did order a dehumidifier which we will have in the shower on a platform so as not to damage the shower base and drain out of the RV. We do plan to have a neighbor check the filter periodically.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Another option would be to leave the air conditioner running assuming the 5er has one. Set it to hold the temperature at about 75 or 80 degrees. That should run it enough to keep air circulation high enough and air moisture level low enough to prevent mold growth.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks all for your input.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelc wrote:
...Does anyone have actual experience with either method...

I recommended the "air circulation" method because I have used it for 9 wet Northwest winters across three different RV's. It absolutely does work.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you all for your input. We are gone up North for at least 6 months, so a chemical that needs changing would not be practical. The windows being open is an option that is very good and would work, but I don't know if during a hurricane if it would be feasible. The dehumidifier is also a very good suggestion and would work. Does anyone have actual experience with either method, and if you use a dehumidifier, what brand. It can be drained into the shower, but would have to have an automatic feature of turning itself on after a power outage. Also, would the filter, if it gets dirty cause it to shut down? Unfortunately, it would be either of the two methods. Which one is best? By the way there was no leaks in the RV. The mold was on wood in cabinets and on the wood fridge surface, and on belongings.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and cover it with a Sunshield tarp silver side up in the summer. I've discussed why in previous posts. Search for Sunshield.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
Donโ€™t close it up. You need air circulation. Leave some windows cracked open and some roof vents open. Get some vent covers if you donโ€™t already have them.

X2
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dry-Z-Air.. But, you have to drain/add new pellets about every month or so..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but IMO no matter how hard you worked you didnโ€™t get all the mold out. You may have removed what you could see.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mold thrives in dark, humid areas with little circulation.

Run fans, an ac or dehumidifier. If you canโ€™t, Damp Rid.

Are you sure you donโ€™t have a leak?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t close it up. You need air circulation. Leave some windows cracked open and some roof vents open. Get some vent covers if you donโ€™t already have them.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
A giant dehunidifier