cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koni’s or Bilsteins

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 class C 32ft give me your opinions, Koni shocks or Bilstein shocks
22 REPLIES 22

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ultimately shock performance is a direct reflection of the load they are subjected to and the tires {and psi} the rig rolls on...

When I was researching replacement shocks for my 24' C I spent a lot of time looking at Koni, Monroe, and Bilstein. Ultimately after speaking at length with the tech's at Bilstein and Shock Warehouse, I settled on the Heavy Duty Bilsteins with excellent results.

Since I normally run near or even at my GVWR of 11,500# {2011 E-350 chassis} and often tow my motorcycle {current bike and trailer weigh 2,220#} they both highly recommended the heavy duty shocks. The standard Bilstein's are built more with large SUV's in mind {per Bilstein }.

The ride and handling are nothing short of amazing but just when I thought it could not get any better I upped the ante with a set of Air Lift, 5,000# Ultimate airbags to deal with the increased tongue weight of my new single axle cargo trailer. The bags give me the added capability to adjust the ride specifically for the load I am hauling.

With a full load and towing the bike, I run 50 - 60 psi in the bags. This brings the rear bumper back up {2"} to level and keeps it there. Running light {nearly empty and not towing} I just keep 15 - 20 psi for a little extra support/stability which helps with the ride quality. I also adjust my tire psi for the load they are subject to, running 65 in front and 75 in the rear running heavy and 60/65 when running light.

My tires wear evenly, I have 2 finger steering in almost any conditions and the coach tracks as straight as an arrow with little if any steering input. Obviously, this all works very well for me. I have had the Bilsteins for 20K+ miles having replaced them at 33K.

As always... Opinion s and YMMV.

:C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ride and control improvement from use of Koni FSD shocks MAY depend upon how heavily loaded a Ford or Chevy chassis based Class C is versus the chassis maximum design loading. In other words, are the Class C chassis springs loaded up near maximum - making the RV's ride feel soft and smooth enough - or do the springs have a lot of weight carrying headroom left - making the ride feel hard?

I suspect that many Ford or Chevy based Class C motorhomes may come from their manufacturer - plus what additional owners load them up with - loaded with their chassis near the upper end, making unnecessary or ineffective one of the damping modes of the dual-mode Koni FSD shocks.

Our Class C was a bit unusual in that it's coach was relatively light as compared to what it's springs (especially in the rear) were designed to handle - hence it's ride was very hard in the rear. The high frequency behavior of Koni FSD shocks in the rear combined with the stiff leaf springs back there nicely took the bite out of cracks and potholes on road surfaces for us. The low frequency behavior of our FSD shocks in the rear still offers a nice in-control feeling in all other handling situations when combined with the OEM front wheel shocks and front steering shock.

Here's another article - albeit with regards to a road car instead of a motorhome - that pretty well explains what the FSD shocks can contribute towards improving the ride in a vehicle with a suspension system that is aggressive relative to average weight of the vehicle: https://www.carwale.com/features/suspension-upgrade-koni-fsd-shocks-for-a-bmw-320d-32665/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 24 foot rig built on a 2007 E350 chassis with roughly 11,000 pounds weighted on trips.

I feel the Koni-FSD shocks offer the best design with high-tech valving, but when it came time to replace the shocks, I went with Bilstein Heavy Duty RV shocks. The Koni-FSDs were priced way too high and do not offer a lifetime replacement guarantee of which I understand Bilstein does. Had I bought Bilsteins the first time, my second set would have been free. But had I bought Bilsteins 11 years & 37,000 miles ago, maybe I would not have needed to replace them in the first place.

The shocks that went bad were Koni-RV adjustables, gone bad due to the hardware. Look at these pictures comparing the hardware. The Bilstein shocks are truly more heavier duty than the Koni-RV shocks.

Note the larger diameter stem, grommets, and washers of the Bilsteins.

The loss of the lower grommet caused this stem wear along with the loss of operation during small movements.

Here is a picture comparing the front shocks. The rears had the same differences, though the rear Koni's had no issues with worn grommets or stem-wear.

Lifetime guarantee or not, I am happy with my Bilstein-HD choice. During the trip that followed the installation, I immediately noticed the improvement in the handling of the rig and paid very close attention to ride-harshness. To be fair to our old Koni's with worn-away grommets, any comparison would be mute. But I can say the harshness of ride or lack there of was about the same.

Compared to the old style Koni-RV adjustable shocks, I highly recommend the Bilstein-HD for value and durability. I wonder if Koni is using better hardware today on their FSDs. If not, then I would say the Bilstein-HD is surely the better choice.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
........ only mine is an '03 with 2018 suspension on the front (thanks to JD's recommendation and encouragement).

He brought a lot of knowledge and helped a lot of fellow forum members He will be missed by many of us
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
pauldub wrote:
Half and half for me. I have billies on the front and Koni on the rear. Didn't seem like there would be anything to be gained by putting the expensive Koni shocks on the front.

I assume that the Koni shocks you have in the rear are Koni FSD shocks, as Koni does make regular shocks too.

If you are running FDS shocks in the rear, what size Class C do you have and how is the handling with Koni FDS rear/Bilsteins front?

Yes, I have the Koni FSD shocks in the rear on my 24' Winnie. I haven't found it detrimental mixing the shock brands, both have digressive valving. I have the same chassis as you pnichols, only mine is an '03 with 2018 suspension on the front (thanks to JD's recommendation and encouragement).

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Koni FSD all around here, 31'C. Huge difference, work as described. Never tried Bilsteins so I can't comment on them.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huge improvement.

:C What did you improve ? Were you feeling wind turbulence from big trucks , that was causing your rig to drift out of your comfort level ? Is that what you are trying to control ?

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
2003 E450. Installed Bilsteins shocks front, rear, and steering stabilizer, in addition to larger sway bars. Huge improvement.

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Installed Bilsteins in front, rear, and steering stabilizer. Love it.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
Half and half for me. I have billies on the front and Koni on the rear. Didn't seem like there would be anything to be gained by putting the expensive Koni shocks on the front.

I assume that the Koni shocks you have in the rear are Koni FSD shocks, as Koni does make regular shocks too.

If you are running FDS shocks in the rear, what size Class C do you have and how is the handling with Koni FDS rear/Bilsteins front?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Neither for me. I run cheap Monroe's. When they leak, I replace them.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Bilsteins - read that the fronts were difficult to install so I waited for special at CW which came with free install. After watching them installing the front shocks I was glad I didn't try it myself. Major PIA.
Kevin

borpa11
Explorer
Explorer
I run adjustable Blisteins on my 4x4 class C E450 and really like them on the front. However even maxed out they are fairly soft but that is what I prefer. My rear was dramatically improved by the addition of air bags.

Tremendous value and longevity from Blisteins.