cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sensar IV Antenna

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Winnie, the Sensar II I think, may have been a II, was not working well. It had been hit and straightened out and the PCB was no longer weather proof, I replaced it with an old 1989 Batwing, model unknown and I've been happy with that. Well were going to be doing some boon docking and I decided to get the Sensar IV w/the Wingman.

I just installed it and did a search and got 188 digital station and 20 some analog. So from where we live, we can receive Channel 6 from Santa Barbara, not well but almost watchable. With the Sensar IV, clear as a bell. A real surprise to me. I had to get stuff put away so I haven't done any exploring, channel 64.1 is as high as it goes.

Before the changeout, I got 63.5, so there is some change.

More tests later. We are spending next week in a campground with no TV reception. There were two channels before the conversions but none now. Maybe we'll get something now.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
11 REPLIES 11

az99
Explorer
Explorer
They work so good I put one on the S&B.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having done lab level testing during my college days. Jeff's test qualifies as an independent lab test.. Met every requirement save for his not being paid to do it.

Have done some testing myself (though different things) I often post how "height is might" I did that testing myself.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
No one has done an actual lab test of RV antennas. SCVJeff did use a spectrum analyzer (which is a lab grade unit) to compare the Jack antenna to a Winegard Sensar (aka Batwing) antenna. Here's a link to his results:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27171026.cfm

He did an exceptional job, but it was not in a laboratory. Jeff seems to have abandoned this forum. He has not posted for quite some time.

I have both a Jack and a Sensar IV and I find that the Jack is on par with the Sensar for UHF. For VHF the Sensar outperforms the Jack big time.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have said this before.. Some folks have done independent lab testing on teh SENSAR line v/s the JACK and a few others.. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING beat the Sensar IV for range.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
When we bought our Winnie, the Sensar II I think, may have been a II, was not working well. It had been hit and straightened out and the PCB was no longer weather proof, I replaced it with an old 1989 Batwing, model unknown and I've been happy with that. Well were going to be doing some boon docking and I decided to get the Sensar IV w/the Wingman.

I just installed it and did a search and got 188 digital station and 20 some analog. So from where we live, we can receive Channel 6 from Santa Barbara, not well but almost watchable. With the Sensar IV, clear as a bell. A real surprise to me. I had to get stuff put away so I haven't done any exploring, channel 64.1 is as high as it goes.

Before the changeout, I got 63.5, so there is some change.

More tests later. We are spending next week in a campground with no TV reception. There were two channels before the conversions but none now. Maybe we'll get something now.

Are you concerned that the reception of 188 digital and 20 analog is "not enough"?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
With my Sensar IV antenna and the Sensar Pro inside, I am good for over 60 miles over flat country.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Might as well pop for the SensarPro signal strength meter and amp. Lets you rotate antenna to peak the signal and amplify or attenuate your signal.

Can make a big difference.

AMong other things the Sensar Pro is a signal strength meter that makes aiming easier..

it has 3 buttons. Starting from the OFF (Park cable selected) position tap the top button one time

SCAN mode it will seek out the strongest digital carrier and display the carrier channel number (NOT necessarly the station number. your TV figures that out later) and strength. You can then peak.. Generally TV transmitters are all close so that should work less you are too close to the towers.

Next mode I forget what they call it but you can page through ALL the carriers it found and choose one to peak on if you wish (uses the other two buttons)

Next is manual YOU use use the two (Up/down) buttons to pick the carrier channel. I often use this mode when I know what to peak on

Next is GAIN.. adjustable. I am guessing "10" is the same as the old wall plate. you can make it stronger (up to 20) or weaker (NOTHING).

Next is VOLUME (You know about those annoying sattelite beeps. It does the same thing) for use when you can not see it and rotate the antenna at the same tine.. Mine is set to ZERO.

IT added several stationns and greatly redued aining time.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Well lets wait untill we get back, maybe the DW will like the improvement and would like more.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
i replaced mine with the sensar IV and also put in the senser pro, what an amazing improvement.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sensar IV best you can buy. Follow above advice on the Sensar Pro.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might as well pop for the SensarPro signal strength meter and amp. Lets you rotate antenna to peak the signal and amplify or attenuate your signal.

Can make a big difference.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.