cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custer SD toward Yellowstone end of August, 2019

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think of the route for 38' MH w/toad, in particular Hwy 16 out of Buffalo to get to Sitting Bull CG in the Big Horn National Forest? Then back to I90 for an up/over/around the Big Horn Mtns. via Billings before southerly down to Yellowstone.
9 REPLIES 9

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
In October we towed our fifth wheel over the Bighorns from I-90, then on to Cody and Yellowstone. We took the more scenic U.S. 14/14A route instead of U.S. 16 because we wanted to stop at Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area. But we have a diesel and an exhaust brake that we used all the way down the 6-mile long, 10% downgrade on 14A. We stayed at the beautiful Sibley Lake Forest Service campground (with 30A electric hookups) on 14.

However, I agree with the others that once you have traveled east to west over the crest of the Bighorns, it is a waste of time to go back down to the east. And on 16, it is no steeper downgrade going west than going back east.

If you do use I-90 through Billings, it is quicker to Yellowstone through Mammoth and the North Entrance than all the way around to West Yellowstone. And, having driven the Beartooth Highway (U.S. 212) from Cooke City to Red Lodge, I advise against taking any large RV from Red Lodge to the Northeast Entrance to the park. The hairpin curves on the switchbacks are VERY tight and the lanes narrow! Guess that's why, like U.S. 14A, U.S. 212 over Beartooth Pass is closed in winter.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with 16 out of Buffalo across the Big Horns. If you are traveling to SB CG near Meadow Lark Lake, you have conquered the mountains already. Go on in to Cody and then to Yellowstone thru the east entrance. No need to do the Big Horns twice to get to YS. That is the route we use to Cody every trip
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your input. Part of reason for over the top and down is a V10 gasser vs. previous 400 Cummins with Jake Brake. Other than TN, KY, and the Smokies, not sure how the torque, tow/haul, & braking will handle the Rockies. (We were warned off around 10 Sleep.) Also heard about Fishing Bridge construction--- So a bit of a detour over the Big Horn Mtns, but will bring us down via Bozeman to West Yellowstone for a basecamp for about a week before heading south thru the Tetons, UT, and swing toward home.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaNative49 wrote:
What do you think of the route for 38' MH w/toad, in particular Hwy 16 out of Buffalo to get to Sitting Bull CG in the Big Horn National Forest?

Then back to I90 for an up/over/around the Big Horn Mtns. via Billings before southerly down to Yellowstone.

I'd suggest going to Cody - then make a drive north - then south to Explore then just drive through the park. - (Chief Joseph - Red Lodge - Beartooth - Wind River Canyon -Thermopolis - Shoshoni) - all are worth the effort. 🙂

Sorry but IMHO the I's are good for gatting from "A" to "B" in straight lines, but once you have gotten to the "Destination/Yellowstone" spend every possible minute There.

We all are different so this is Just MHO,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
the easist is not always best. choose the route that best suites your scenery wishes trand itinerary. Every US Hwy designated hwy is driveable in any unit The largest of trucks can drive it so can you.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
as a caveat re 14 into yellowstone from cody.....
it is indeed a scenic and not overly tough pass, but...when we left yellowstone back in mid september of this year, the road was already being torn up from Fishing Bridge for several miles, so I can't say what the road is like now.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not go the closer route by taking 16 west to 20 north to 14 west into the southeastern entrance to Yellowstone? It is a beautiful route.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we've used highway 16 over the BigHorns several times in our rig. it's a pretty good climb out of Buffalo, but you'll make it. when you get to Sitting Bull campground, it's another short climb to get up to it, but it's a great location.
going back down to Buffalo, again, a pretty good grade, but take it slow and you'll be fine.
nothing to note up to Billings and then what? down to Cody, or over and down to Gardener? Either way is ok, but check the status on road reconstruction on the west side of the park at Fishing Bridge... might be better to enter the park from the north gate. just my opinion.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be hauling on some long grades in the Big Horn Mtns. Take your time and you will be fine.