cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

swapping the dish on top to the winguard t4,motion

sledfisher
Explorer
Explorer
hi again,im am thinking about swapping the dish on top for the winguard in motiom dome. for those that did this,any info ,problems ideas ,anything feed back ,I would really like to hear. for now seems like direct tv would be easier provider.thanks mic
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Thank You Bill....I knew it started with a "W" LoL

^^^^^^^^:W^^^^^^^^^
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You Bill....I knew it started with a "W" LoL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
To be sure, I Love the Domed in motion Direct TV (I bought used) many years ago for the right price. As mentioned, its great to use for positioning into a campsite and the wife watching while going down the road. I'm just concerned about the changes coming our way but I will purchase the Wilson Traveler when the time comes, already have HD sets.

That would be a Winegard Trav'ler.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
To be sure, I Love the Domed in motion Direct TV (I bought used) many years ago for the right price. As mentioned, its great to use for positioning into a campsite and the wife watching while going down the road. I'm just concerned about the changes coming our way but I will purchase the Wilson Traveler when the time comes, already have HD sets.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend that had an in-motion dish. He subscribed to Direct TV. He installed the traveler antenna and equipment to receive Direct HD. He left the in-motion dome iin place, installed an A/B switch and uses the dome for music channels while moving and has high definition while stopped and watching TV. Works great.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because someone is not a fan of something does not mean that it's not something that will work for you. The in-motion units these days work Very Well! Even if you don't use them while driving, you can turn them on and use them to ensure where you park will have a clear view. There are "some" advantages to domes and many disadvantages but it's up to you to weigh both of these.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
On occasion, my wife watches her favorite soap opera on our bedroom TV while we're underway using a FireTVstick and streaming the program with the DishAnywhere app from our NY cottage Dish Hopper installation or using a CBS app.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Traveler, going nowhere.
Dennis Hoppert

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not a fan of the in motion antennas. Having had one originally, I found the signal to be spotty at best and not at all acceptable. The grandkids didn't seem to mind but for the difference in cost, the in-motion IMO is a waste of money. We replaced ours two years ago with the Winegard Traveler which we enjoy a lot. Of course your TV has to be HD capable too.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
sledfisher wrote:
hi again,im am thinking about swapping the dish on top for the winguard in motiom dome. for those that did this,any info ,problems ideas ,anything feed back ,I would really like to hear. for now seems like direct tv would be easier provider.thanks mic

As mentioned, a dome and DTV is a good combo today (although you will not receive ANY of the programming in HD) but things are going to change sometime in 2019 when they drop SD broadcasts. No one is exactly sure what those changes will involve but it's seem logical to me that the domes will lose the ability to receive many channels.
As to what to with to make the change, they really are 2 separate an unrelated pieces of hardware. You "should" be able to use the existing coax from your current roof top antenna to connect to the T4 but otherwise you will just be looking to follow the installation instructions for a new installation. If your current antenna is a crankup style you will likely want to simply leave it there and install the dome nearby. You can let us know what kind of antenna you have now and we might be able to give you a bit more info.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The difference between Dish and DTV is that if/when Dish drops the SD feeds, the dome antennas will still work for all channels. When DTV drops it, there may be only a limited selection of channels available with a dome. All SD only receivers will be obsolete of course for both services.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you can switch to Dish later....from all reports Direct TV won't be supporting Standard Definition Receivers much longer. Dish may not be too far behind on Standard Def. I have two older Dishes on my RV, an in motion and a real old Datron system, both Direct TV standard....so I see upgrades or service change in my future. The T-4 is not cheap...so buy carefully.
96 Vogue Prima Vista