cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do black coaches get really hot in summer?

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
There is a coach that we are considering that is painted 60% black. I surmise that it would get really hot in the summers and be difficult to keep cool. We want to do a lot of boondocking, so am concerned about the heat factor.

Are my deductions correct? Or is this not a factor at all?

Thanks for your help in advance!
29 REPLIES 29

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a Jeep dealer to guide you. Just put your hand down on a white car in the Florida summertime sun and time how long you can hold it there, then do the same on a black car.

Sure, insulation can help and windows can hurt the inside temperatures, but it all begins on the temperatures of the surfaces they have to work with.

I once had a car with black leather seats. I kept a towel in the car to sit on.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity, I did a web search. If you compare black and white, the external paint temperature is about 55 degrees hotter on black than white. How much of that heat gets transmitted to the inside is dependent on the amount of insulation which includes how much window area you have.

There was a test done on two identical cars, The black car's cabin measured 130 degrees Fahrenheit, while the white car's interior registered 113 degrees. They also tested which cools down faster. The interior of the white car cooled to 84 degrees after 10 minutes, while the black car was still at 91 degrees.

This can be significant if you are only relying on the dash AC as you are going down the road. Also, a 55 degree difference in skin temperature will cause the paint and clear coat to have issues sooner.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
huntdooly wrote:
timmac wrote:
My black/cream motorhome stays cool in the Las Vegas desert heat but its under a black shade cover..:C

However in the sun the black part on motorhome is hot to the touch but the cream part is cooler to touch..

Wow! That shade looks like an extensive setup! How large is the bundle for the shade system when it's packed to go?

It makes sense! Black clothing is very hot in summer, as opposed to white clothing. Black just absorbs heat so much more.

However...with every opposing post, my head turns one way, then the other! But, instinctively...I just feel that black feels hotter just by looking at it! LOL! But it's also true that black shows dirt so much more easily, too.

The shade structure is not intended to ever move, its made for the RV in my back yard to keep it cool and the sun off the RV, as to the black shade cloth it does not get hot and its always cooler by 10-15 degrees under the shade structure and I am not sure how much my motorhome is hotter in the sun compared to a white one but its not to bad..

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
My black/cream motorhome stays cool in the Las Vegas desert heat but its under a black shade cover..:C

However in the sun the black part on motorhome is hot to the touch but the cream part is cooler to touch..

Wow! That shade looks like an extensive setup! How large is the bundle for the shade system when it's packed to go?

It makes sense! Black clothing is very hot in summer, as opposed to white clothing. Black just absorbs heat so much more.

However...with every opposing post, my head turns one way, then the other! But, instinctively...I just feel that black feels hotter just by looking at it! LOL! But it's also true that black shows dirt so much more easily, too.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
RVs have huge surface areas. How you orient them to the sun makes a big difference. Black should be the last choice for one in summer conditions.

Hogwash.......black would only be 2 degrees hotter than white. I read that somewhere that I can't remember........ahhhhh, it was here lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVs have huge surface areas. How you orient them to the sun makes a big difference. Black should be the last choice for one in summer conditions.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only if they don't wear a hat.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a white SUV for several years and now have a black SUV. I can positively say that the black SUV is way hotter inside after sitting in the sun than the white one. Our next SUV will be a much lighter color!
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
MetalGator wrote:

One of the local Jeep dealers did a test with a white Jeep Wrangler and a black Jeep Wrangler. The temperature during the summer averaged 2 degrees hotter in the black Jeep.

I have to call BS on that having owned 3 black pickups in the past. Even my current lipstick red truck gets noticeably hotter in summer sun in a big way, than the white or silver ones I have owned. The Jeep dealer probably had an excess of black Wranglers he could not move with people not considering them because they new better, so he took the liberty of massaging the truth a little lol. Dealers do that.

You can call BS all you want. I am just telling you what the Jeep dealer said. My wife has a black 2014 Wrangler and before that had a black Dodge Durango. I drive a Blue Wrangler and also have a tan Dodge Ram pickup. All 4 get/got hot in Florida. I never noticed the black vehicle being any hotter than the other vehicles. They all get hot as **** here in the Florida sun. I just wouldn't let the black color keep one from buying a RV or vehicle. A few minutes with the AC on they all cool down. I think with a RV, the more important thing is the windows and the insulation, not so much the color.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Black absorbs heat more than any other color. That's why painter's wear white clothing and not blue jeans, which get hot with their dark blue color.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
38 feet. Major color is "Antique Bronze" (Kind of a copper dark) other colors sand (Tan) and green.. two 15000 A/Cs Eastern MI. 90 in the summer is best I can hope for. during day. If I ever repaint I'll make it mostly sand.
Where in Eastern Michigan is it so hot you can only cool to 90? I checked two eastern cities, Detroit and Lansing and their all time record highs were 102 and 104 respectively. The average highs for July and August are in the low to mid 80s for both cities. Are you sure the problem isn't the AC units and not the color of your rig?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:

One of the local Jeep dealers did a test with a white Jeep Wrangler and a black Jeep Wrangler. The temperature during the summer averaged 2 degrees hotter in the black Jeep.

I have to call BS on that having owned 3 black pickups in the past. Even my current lipstick red truck gets noticeably hotter in summer sun in a big way, than the white or silver ones I have owned. The Jeep dealer probably had an excess of black Wranglers he could not move with people not considering them because they new better, so he took the liberty of massaging the truth a little lol. Dealers do that.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
38 feet. Major color is "Antique Bronze" (Kind of a copper dark) other colors sand (Tan) and green.. two 15000 A/Cs Eastern MI. 90 in the summer is best I can hope for. during day. If I ever repaint I'll make it mostly sand.

90 INSIDE is the best cooling that you can get? What is the outdoor temp?

I would call your coach a medium to light-medium coloring.