cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heard a new one today

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Had a new set of tires put on the truck Monday. Checked the pressure today and one tire was down to 20psi from 65. Took it back to the dealer he said that the leak was due to the alloy wheel corroding at the bead, huh...factory wheels with only 100k on them, has anyone else heard this before? Me thinks they scored the wheel with the machine and don't want to fess up.
The older we get, the faster we go
25 REPLIES 25

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
VERY common.A good tire shop should have cleaned and applied bead sealer.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
gsbrockman wrote:
old guy wrote:
if it is the wheel just put an inner tube in it and don't worry about it

Worst advice ever........

No it absolutely is NOT.

How about you provide reputable references backing up that claim ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

Worst advice ever........
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Have them apply a dab of bearing grease all around the bead. Drive them and see what happens.

I would be careful with grease on the bead. A tire shop did that to my snow tires on steel rims to get them to seal (another story). On a very cold morning both tires went flat simultaneously as I backed out into the road. The grease had rotted the rubber bead.

This is the stuff to use...

Bead Sealer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Have them apply a dab of bearing grease all around the bead. Drive them and see what happens.

I would be careful with grease on the bead. A tire shop did that to my snow tires on steel rims to get them to seal (another story). On a very cold morning both tires went flat simultaneously as I backed out into the road. The grease had rotted the rubber bead.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Lots of places/people advise against putting a tube in a tubeless tire.

And as usual, "a lot of people" would be wrong, in general.

Are you aware that NOBODY makes a tire specifically for a "tubed" type wheel anymore ? And that includes motorcycles. So what if your rims REQUIRE tubes because of the design ??

If you NEED a tube, use it.
It makes almost NO difference to the heat buildup or to the sidewall profile. If anything it flexes LESS not more.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
hmmmm, maybe you ran over something.

I sure would not get my tire diagnosed on the computer.

Somebody is gonna have to figure out what is wrong.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Very common her in the salt belt. However if it was that bad they should’ve cleaned it up and used beadsealer on the rim before they put the tire(s) on.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
gtnsmlr wrote:
Had a new set of tires put on the truck Monday. Checked the pressure today and one tire was down to 20psi from 65. Took it back to the dealer he said that the leak was due to the alloy wheel corroding at the bead, huh...factory wheels with only 100k on them, has anyone else heard this before? Me thinks they scored the wheel with the machine and don't want to fess up.
Discount Tire? They tried to scam me with the same BS, wanted to sell me new wheels. They hadn't even dismounted a tire before trying to tell me it was corroded wheels. Yea, sure. I'll take my business elsewhere from now on.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Surfactants like Simple green can do this. So can corrosive compounds like mag chloride de-icer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
Lots of places/people advise against putting a tube in a tubeless tire. Many different reasons: heat build-up due to the radial sidewall flexing, or the contour of a tubeless wheel won't allow a tube to be used safely. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Pull the wheel, clean the bead area thoroughly and reassemble. Usually that will take care of the problem. It has worked for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
Pretty common. They should've cleaned up the beads before installing new tires.

X2