cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15D road report

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I am now just north of Mazatlán. Road is good to San Carlos although construction of an interchange at the Guyamos turn off is causing some confusion. The usual ramp is out of service. The right hand off ramp is out of service, you have to detour left. The road from El Carrizo to El Fuerte is in very bad shape with one bridge out, go to El Fuerte via Los Mochis. Transitos are active in the many 40 kmh sections, be careful.

The road surface is very rough from Guasave to Culliacan. Lots of potholes.

Pemex 4925 south of Los Mochis where many overnight, is now gone. It is now Smartgas. The compound is still available for use, not sure if it is still free. There is a Subway, Oxxo and an Banorte ATM available.

I will have a report on Teacapan in a day or 2.

Villa Celeste in Celestino is open and very full for the first time in years. I plan to check out other parks along here today
23 REPLIES 23

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
11/13/2018
Magna fuel price today jumped to 19.72 locally. Some foreign stations are above the 20.00 pesos mark.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
In the winter months if you follow the beach access road past the PAN de PLATANO (banana nut bread shacks) past the military base and then get out and walk upon the beach at sunset be prepared for an all-out assault on your flesh.

The highway south toward Sta Cruz and Las Varas has significantly fewer jejenes. Because there is a lot less brackish water. There are few jejenes on the waterway to La Tovara because the water is less brackish. See the big blue pipes coming out of the hillside at La Tovara spring? That's the municipal water supply.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Checking my old notes, we missed a turn and drove into San Blas. In much later years we toured it to a prominent lookout point, with friends, and on our last visit we had lunch out on the beach, driving there in the towed, with friends from our home town. Things seemed fine. But first stop in the area was 15 years ago, when we realized we had made the wrong turn but got some friendly, outside help turning our MH (no towed car then) at an intersection! Then proceeded on, staying that night with fellow travelers we had met from Alaska, at the RV park called Playa Amor RV. It had lost some of its land due to the October previous that ravaged the shoreline area in a hurricane. My notes don't mention insects, maybe we simply expected them. Nothing about them in our three short visits there.

Talleyho69
They change regularly. There is one toll booth on the road from Morelia to Lazaro Cardenas, at Infernillo that we have never paid the toll at, just made a small donation to the protesters. They have never been protesting the same thing more than once!

Often they will have a flyer to hand out that states their goals.

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
I worked out the protest part. Was curious about the specific aim...
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
protests, they take over the booths

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
On the way from San Carlos to Maz. Just used the Obregon bypass. Saw only one other car. 310 toll. Great. Been waved through by 3 tollbooths so far. Why is this?
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

Talleyho69
And worth every penny of it. When we came down in June, we were in a Durango pulling a single axle trailer, and didn't even think about what it cost. We were bad and heading home!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Canada Irl wrote:
Re the Obregon bypass southbound is it well marked and is it north or south of the toll both near there?

I am sure it is before the toll booth, so you don't pay twice. The toll on the bypass cost me 310 pesos with a motorhome.

It is at N 27.60877 W 109.94431

Canada_Irl
Explorer
Explorer
Re the Obregon bypass southbound is it well marked and is it north or south of the toll both near there?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What I can offer about jejenes...

First of all, San Blas has two faces: Winter when the winged crocodiles are active. And summer when they are far less active.

Jejenes thrive in salt water sand. Their big cousins love a mix of fresh water and salt water. Brenda does like the rest of the enramada owners -- she wets down the sand inside the enramada every morning with community piped fresh water. Our jejenes are a nuisance and not miniature versions of The Alien. They tickle feet and bare skin all the way to the knees. They bite but the effects are like 1/10,000 as profound as San Blas / Boca de Iguanas effects of drilling.

Even the very worst pea-size knobs that drive one crazy can be effectively treated with nothing more than water, a flame, and Q-Tips. Heat water to boiling, dab a Q-tip then apply it to the bite. Really bad bites require two applications. But the relief is 100% and the length of total relief is forever. Nothing else I have ever encountered will offer one single percent relief to that which this trick offers. Not even injected antihistamines do as good. Remember the words Total and Permanent relief. The dab of hot water does not harm the skin in the least.

The town of Sta Cruz to the south, made San Blas look like the Nixon library. The pungent odor of marijuana and Patchouli oil saturated this tiny village to the core. Ugly brown donut rings of cactus peyote were sold openly in the late 60's and 70's. Marijuana smoke similar to tobacco smoke makes me gag.

Another infestation was stumbled upon at Tenacatita. I spent one night at Sta Cruz then hauled A$S. At Tenacatita, it was mid-morning and I made a U-Turn and ended up at La Manzanilla.

Back then, camping amidst hippies was not an option. The PJF Policia Judicial Federal would descend on a campground and end up arresting everybody. Things would be settled later in jail. No thanks. When the PJF was around the mere presence of the magazine High Times, or a copy of Guns & Ammo would set the plain clothes PJF into high gear.

The PJF was dissolved more than 20 years ago. A step forward.

About 15 years ago the SCT "straightened" dozens of the worst curves between Tepic and Campostela. Nicer drive going south but northbound it is normal to run into a six cylinder diesel truck banging on 5 cylinders doing 17 mph. No way to pass.

In Tepic, the street with a hundred topes greeted the exit from Mex 200.

For me in a toad, Mex 15 had three or nine too many negatives. Hotels at 2-3 times the price of Mex 57-D, in the summer sweltering temperatures on 15, 15 gallons of fuel for the price of 18, too many cities with no periferico and punitive toll road prices. Cheaper to drive east 800 miles and enter at Eagle Pass.

Of course this omits places like San Carlos, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. To each his own. To me any route any more is a commute.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
depends on your rig. Last year it was passable, but low trees & potholes.

tleeming
Explorer
Explorer
Still waiting to hear what the road is like from the San Blas toll road south to Las Varas...never mind the bugs

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
They tried making San Blas a tourist area about 30 or 40 years ago. The president of Mexico arrived in a helicopter. He got out and the mosquitoes were so bad he left right away. San Blas is a great spot but those jejenes are horrible. A number of people have tried building small RV parks but I think they are mostly closed. San Blas has been a hideaway since the days of pirates. In the 60's and 70's it was a haven for hippies and criminals running away from prosecution in the USA. Mostly white collar crime. Of course there were also drug dealers. The first time we stopped in San Blas I could not understand why there were so many hippy women in long skirts. They were the remnants of another era. This area is also home to a lot of Huichol. I am sure Mex has some stories about san Blas.

Moisheh

You obviously have not been there recently. 4 lane boulevards are already built along the waterfront with street lighting and sidewalks, and beachfront property is being bought up rapidly.