cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

thermostat replacement

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My SIL told me his thermostat doesn't seem to be very accurate. he said when he put the furnace on 70 it almost forced him out of the TT. put it on 50 and it was bearable. He has stock one in now and for furnace and AC. what do you you all recommend for replacement. stock or digital replacement
11 REPLIES 11

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:
Digital replacement.
Hunter 42999, just the same as the older 42999B.
AA battery operated, will control AC and heater.

Hunter 42999(b) has been the go to choice of many RV owners, myself included ...

... but the unlit LCD screen is difficult to see in dim light so I changed to a Honeywell RTH5100B - works just as well and the screen lights up anytime any button is pushed.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Digital replacement.
Hunter 42999, just the same as the older 42999B.
AA battery operated, will control AC and heater.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Lots of choices....go digital.

Maybe this>>>>>digital stat HERE

+1 for this upgrade assuming you have Dometic.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I shouldn't but what the heck! Maybe your SIL/he is having hot flashes.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
digi
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of choices....go digital.

Maybe this>>>>>digital stat HERE

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The mechanical thermostat has an attenuator(sp) to adjust the temperature accuracy. Most are set at about .8 Closer to 1,0 makes the room temperature stay closer to set. Most are not worth much!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty much par for the course. Depending on the model, there may be a tab you can bend to make it a bit closer to reality. But they're really very inaccurate in general. Both of mine are new-ish after the 34-year-old originals failed. The newest one I bought doesn't even have any numbers on it - apparently they gave up on attempting actual temperature settings and just have lines to indicate colder to warmer. If I set the other one to 60 degrees it will hit 80 in no time.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Generally digital ones will be much more accurate and precise. If the particular air conditioner system used in the RV doesn't require a proprietary thermostat, most any digital one that can be powered by batteries will work fine. A thermostat that relies on the furnace or air conditioner for power may not work in an RV since household HVAC systems use 24V AC power rather than 12V (or occasionally less) DC power as is used in RVs.

You can read about my thermostat replacement (and some other things) in this thread. (The exact model of thermostat I used seems to only be available for prime members at the moment on Amazon.)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Need to get make and model of old one.
Hunter, Lux or Honeywell may work.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
If you have one of the new style durtherms your pretty much stuck. If you have onemof the older manual ones there are several that work. I used a HunterDouglas that was powered by two AA batteries. Loved it, way more accurate.