cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter use??

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi all—our Roadtrek 170 only has an exterior fresh water tank so use in winter is out. Looking to purchase an older (1997) Pleasureway which has an internal water tank. Will this allow me to use the water system in the winter as long as I keep the interior warm? I realize that the holding tanks will need pad heaters or antifreeze to allow winter drainage. Thanks for your input.
chartrue2@aol.com
5 REPLIES 5

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
In sub-freezing weather, we used our Class C all the time. We flushed the toilet after use with antifreeze*; and used bottled water for toothbrushing, etc; followed by a splash of antifreeze down the drain (left the freshwater system winterized)
This is what we do for the first few days getting from New England to Florida in January when the temps often are around 20 degrees in the morning.

Those heating devices appear to be geared towards heating waste tanks and drain lines, not fresh water. I think there is an implied assumption that the fresh water tank is inside the coach, which is not true in my situation but may work well for the OP.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In sub-freezing weather, we used our Class C all the time. We flushed the toilet after use with antifreeze*; and used bottled water for toothbrushing, etc; followed by a splash of antifreeze down the drain (left the freshwater system winterized) What a lot of people are forgetting is that there are low-point drain tubes; plus the valves for the wastewater system (and possibly an outdoor shower), that can still freeze.

* We DID have one trip home in single-digit temps where we used a "luggable loo" portapotty because urine will freeze at about 28 degrees
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
www.ultraheat.com

All my tanks are exposed underneath and work fine with the heat pads.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Exterior unheated waste tanks in freezing weather require you to do the non conformist methods.
You must leave your waste valves open, grade your waste line so there is no trap. Always use enough water to carry the waste through the hose. Double flush the commode. Never 'trickle' water to keep your lines from freezing as that means a very slow flow through the waste hose that will freeze there then back up into your waste tanks.
Be certain the camps sewer pipes are below freeze depth so that they do not freeze and back up.
Theres more, but these are proven.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you keep the fresh water tank and water lines above freezing, not the TT interior necessarily. Is this tank in an enclosed underbelly? Does the furnace discharge hot air into the underbelly?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad