cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality Travel Trailer

coloelk
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into travel trailers for summer camping as well as snowbirding for a couple of months. What Manufacturer do you think produces the best fit and finish as well as quality. I want something that rivals nicer 5th wheels for amenaties and finish.
40 REPLIES 40

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
This is akin to asking which is better: Ford, Chevy, or Dodge... or asking about the designated hitter in baseball... Nonetheless.. I will offer my free opinion (which is worth every penny). We purchased an Imagine 2150RB by Grand Design almost two years ago. Since then we have pulled it around ten thousand miles, and spent 93 nights in it. Temperatures ranging from in the teens to well over 100 degrees. We pull it with a half ton Dodge Ram and have an Equalizer WDH. We spent four or five months shopping, looking for a balance between quality and price, along with a few features based on personal preference. In the end, we ended up with our 2150RB, and in hindsight I can say that we would make the same purchase again.
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Low cost, light weight, high quality.

Pick two.

All manufacturers struggle to find the balance of the three that will make them successful....

If it were so simple and easy, everyone would be doing it.

Couple those three competing factors with the fact that the industry has found most new TTs are used by the original owner 2-3 times a year for three years.... And then never again.... That explains why TTs are built the way they are.

It is much easier to build a heavy TT that is high quality,,,,, but then that leaves out the 1/2 ton crowd as potential buyers.

My 2010 Sabre was such a unit. Sabre doesn't make TTs anymore. Only 5th wheels. 5vers are generally heavy, and expected to be so. Those consumers generally don't mind driving a HD truck.

I am not sure who makes the best right now, but keep in mind that the components such as ACs, fridges, heaters, water heaters,etc are the same.

In my mind, the frame is the foundation. Get a stout framed unit. It will likely be a heavy one. Then get a capable truck for it

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
whjco wrote:
We purchased a Forest River Cherokee 274vfk and are very pleased with it. For starters, it is towable by a 1/2 ton pickup but sits on 5000# axles and Load Range E 15" radial tires. The outside is a bonded finish siding. The floor is 5/8" tongue-in-groove marine plywood and the walls are 2x3" studs on 12" centers so the structure itself is strong and well-built. The fit and finish is excellent and the only problem we've experienced has been a small piece of loose trim on the ceiling of the bathroom that was easily fixed with a little contact cement. The pressure-bonded counter and table tops are waterproof and durable. We're very happy with our purchase.

Park model?

Travel Trailer. The 274vfk has several minor configuration differences. One has the outside TV, speakers and electrical receptacles mounted higher up on the side for use with a deck and they call it a park/destination model. Our model has them but they're lower down on the side.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
We purchased a Forest River Cherokee 274vfk and are very pleased with it. For starters, it is towable by a 1/2 ton pickup but sits on 5000# axles and Load Range E 15" radial tires. The outside is a bonded finish siding. The floor is 5/8" tongue-in-groove marine plywood and the walls are 2x3" studs on 12" centers so the structure itself is strong and well-built. The fit and finish is excellent and the only problem we've experienced has been a small piece of loose trim on the ceiling of the bathroom that was easily fixed with a little contact cement. The pressure-bonded counter and table tops are waterproof and durable. We're very happy with our purchase.

Park model?

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oliver and Bigfoot will approach the construction quality of the most expensive fivers. However, the range of designs is limited, and sizes are smaller than most mass-market products, and these models are about construction quality, not about luxury amenities.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
dmatt wrote:
For quality builds, Artic Fox/Nash, Outdoors Rv and Lance. There are still some minor issues but you won't see major things like axles, cheap/weak frames, roof and slide leaks. Solid walls, well insulated and quality built cabinets, etc.

x2.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Look at how a Lance is built:

Lance Factory Tour

Also, bear in mind, even their smallest unit, a 1475 and 1575 are candidates for "4 Season Packages" - They also offer a new, lovely model with a king bed 2465. Azdel (Lamilux 4000 Fiberglass, LitePly is used throughout all models!

Hope this helps!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I'd say Coachmen is typical of what the RV industry as a whole produces ... adequate but nothing special in terms of quality despite the manufacturer's claims otherwise. They're basically all the same so sadly getting a "good one" is more a matter of luck than anything else. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Yep, probably a lot attributable to luck. We have the same TT as SoundGuy (although two newer model years) and have used it for 3+ seasons and towed it for only ~17,000 miles. Functionally only 3 issues: (1) the OEM China made tires failed prematurely (since replaced by a set of Goodyear Endurance); (2) a slightly misaligned bathroom door (easily corrected); (3) an even less slightly misaligned cabinet door under the galley sink (not worth messing with).

Quality wise, we just balanced expectations for the hobby vs. economics. It's a heck of a lot better than a tent . . . But it ain't an Airstream, either.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Look at grand designs products, we bought an imagine tt and so far, very happy with how its built and the standard features that are options on other brands. Plus, the three year warranty on the unit helps.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
For quality builds, Artic Fox/Nash, Outdoors Rv and Lance. There are still some minor issues but you won't see major things like axles, cheap/weak frames, roof and slide leaks. Solid walls, well insulated and quality built cabinets, etc.
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
Oe I wouldn't go with:

Heartland
I'm done with any Thor product. Fooled me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Oe I wouldn't go with:

Heartland
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3um9gdMElM

If they could sell something like that for a 30-40% premium over the junk on the market, I predict they would sell very well.

But when I can buy 4 or 5 of my trailers for what one Airstream goes for, it's just not practical $$ for a "toy" in my family.

*Edit: just went and looked at Airstreams, I could buy more like 6 to 7 of my trailers for a similar sized Airstream.

A copy of the Slovenian Adria Caravans, the Aviva model name is one of their names