cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OREGON STATE PARKS RANT

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Camping is becomming very popular within 50 miles or so of Portland Oregon. Numerous times my family & I have wanted to get away during winter month's only to find campsites not available. Why does Oregon state parks continue to close, or partially close, campgrounds during winter months? Their own reservation data shows an interest. At around $30 dollars a night it is as if they are turning away revenue. We knew at Champoeg state park one loop was closed during winter season but they would let folks camp if space was needed. This year they are not letting this happen as logs and equipment are being stored due to construction in other areas. Of all the space available why choose to store where folks could be camping? I will write to OSP if I can find out who to write. Just frustrating. Other reason is many families are living in the park in Rv's because rental prices are out of reach in Portland. We met 5 families doing this last year. So if you are considering shopping for an RV check camp site availability first. Also USFS campgrounds close way too early. Why?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
49 REPLIES 49

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Oregon State Park system ranks up near the top. If you don't like it, try some neighboring states.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oasisbob wrote:
So I e mailed OSP and sent a letter via USPS. This was ten days ago. I asked why they close so early given the demand. As of today I have got no reply. Our tax dollars at work. Just an update

Good luck buddy. Your expectations out weigh the results youโ€™ll get.
I canโ€™t even get change orders out of the DOTs before the work gets done. Which is in violation of their own spec. And this is for work agreed to both in scope and price,in advance.
Small yet typical example. One of my projects weโ€™re rehabbing 4 bridges. Plans never considered the roadway adjacent to the approaches. In bad shape and wonโ€™t match the grades of the new decks and approaches due to wheel ruts in the pavement.
Brought it up in January. No decision. Again in May when we closed the bridges. No decision. 2 weeks before opening to traffic get a change order to replace concrete panels. First one I can recall before the work was already done....
Oops, submittals take a month, have to write addl contracts etc. Got it done in 3 weeks and they complained and wonโ€™t give extra time even though it cost us a week after we accelerated. (And they waived some of their own specs to get it done quicker)
They still havenโ€™t addressed the other 3 bridges except for 1 that will be done in a month, but verbal only and keep changing their mind.
Good luck with the campsites.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
So I e mailed OSP and sent a letter via USPS. This was ten days ago. I asked why they close so early given the demand. As of today I have got no reply. Our tax dollars at work. Just an update

You actually expected a reply? It was filed in the oval cabinet ROFLMAO. Why not write an Oregon Senator or Representative? If you want a reply write to one who is up for reelection in the near future, at least you'll get something from a staffer loaded with BS. If you write to one that has a few years to go until reelection, you'll get the same reply you received from the OSP. Funny how that works.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Best possible scenario is some of each. Then everyone gets a chance. Some folks choose no reservations, and that's a fair option.

In addition, some overflow would be nice but many don't have it. If overflow, then a late arrival does not have to leave, possibly endanger to self or others on the road late. Then overflow can get First Come site in morning when someone leaves. Overflow should be one night only, so it doesn't get abused. Maybe that makes too much sense.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
be careful on how you look for sites on reserve america for OSP sites. If a loop is first come/first serve and open it will show on reserve america as NOT AVAILABLE. Reserve america ONLY shows the sites you can reserve in advance. So..... in the off season when OSP leaves loops as first come/first serve or a whole campground as first come first serve reserve america makes you think it is either closed or nothing available.

This should be no surprise to anyone. The online services ONLY deal with reservable sites. Our favorite campground in Washington has only a very few reservable sites in each loop. We often see the "NOT AVAILABLE" warning pop up. First come, first serve is exactally what it means. If the entire park was reservable then a lot of people would be shut out. All in all, it is not a bad system. Those who do not make plans in advance still have a shot at a site but you better have a Plan B in place.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
hondapro wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Why limit yourself to state parks? There's gotta be lots of private CGs within striking distance from Portland.

Believe it or not there are lots of people who will not consider private campgrounds for a whole host of reasons, most of which is being packed in like sardines, myself included.

A few people have an idea of camping which does not include line dancing with live bands, bingo's, indoor swimming pools, and nightly golf cart races, along with typically being packed in among seasonal cliques. I have never been to OR, but here in PA the above fits the description of just about every private campground I am aware of.

i agree Ralph,I find we enjoy the Pa state parks alot more than the private campgrounds.

I hate being packed in,and every private campground we have been to here in Pa has been like that.
Most people stay in State Parks because they are very cheap people. It is sad because both work well. They be leave the llfe is free when you get in your RV, just pay the price and enjoy yourself. Cheap is cheap and it will always be that way.
So big a world, so little time to see.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
be careful on how you look for sites on reserve america for OSP sites. If a loop is first come/first serve and open it will show on reserve america as NOT AVAILABLE. Reserve america ONLY shows the sites you can reserve in advance. So..... in the off season when OSP leaves loops as first come/first serve or a whole campground as first come first serve reserve america makes you think it is either closed or nothing available.

Yes, champoge does have loops closed in the winter as does cape lookout (due to sand and water in the loop in the winter) along with some other parks, but many have only a few reservable loops in the winter and the rest first come first serve. especially along the oregon coast.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Michigan there are a few state parks that are open year round. At best, you might find six people in them on a extra nice weekend; except for hunting season. The average weekend maybe 3 sites. That is not what I would consider a profit making enterprise.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
Camping is becomming very popular within 50 miles or so of Portland Oregon. Numerous times my family & I have wanted to get away during winter month's only to find campsites not available. Why does Oregon state parks continue to close, or partially close, campgrounds during winter months? Their own reservation data shows an interest. At around $30 dollars a night it is as if they are turning away revenue. We knew at Champoeg state park one loop was closed during winter season but they would let folks camp if space was needed. This year they are not letting this happen as logs and equipment are being stored due to construction in other areas. Of all the space available why choose to store where folks could be camping? I will write to OSP if I can find out who to write. Just frustrating. Other reason is many families are living in the park in Rv's because rental prices are out of reach in Portland. We met 5 families doing this last year. So if you are considering shopping for an RV check camp site availability first. Also USFS campgrounds close way too early. Why?

Parks have always since I can remember slowed down or cut services in the winter.If families are staying in State Parks at $30 a night that is not very cost effective at $900 a month. A trailer park with a monthly fee would be a much better choice.
I think you do have a point though. More people are buying RV's. We can tell during the summer months that more parks are full almost all the time. The park system should realize if there is more demand then they should offer more services. But then we know the state park system is not in it to make a profit!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Why limit yourself to state parks? There's gotta be lots of private CGs within striking distance from Portland.

FYI - State Parks in Oregon are the finest in the USA

Is that personal opinion or an official declaration. And if so, official by whom?

It's a general consensus from those that live in other states that have visited.

Ahhhh sort of like the people whi have told me that about PA parks....and when I have told people that in TN, OH, and VT. Got it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
myredracer wrote:

Is that personal opinion or an official declaration. And if so, official by whom?

It's a general consensus from those that live in other states that have visited.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksg5000 wrote:
myredracer wrote:

FYI - State Parks in Oregon are the finest in the USA and we have gotten pampered. I personally prefer the State Parks because I like environment that combines large sites with lots of trees - you don't find that often in private parks.

Oh I would not go that far. JMHO based on having actually camped in SPs in EVERY state & AK, but great SPs can be found all over.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksg5000 wrote:
myredracer wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?