cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel tailgate

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
My last two trailers had plenty of room between the truck and trailer but my current trailer does not. If I have to wriggle any way other than pretty straight, I have to back up a ways, close the tailgate and then finish backing up. I am looking at possibly getting a Stromberg Carlson 5th wheel tailgate that I could get the insert for and still use my folding truck cover when not hooked up. Any ideas from anyone already using this setup?
17 REPLIES 17

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
pinesman wrote:
I appreciate all of the comments. My main concern is using one of these tailgates with my folding truck cover

I don't think this will be a problem with any of the covers or any of the tailgates.

My cover is a rolling Retrax, and my tailgate is a Custom Flow. I have the insert, but rarely use it.

Here are a couple of pics, but I just don't see how any tailgate would interfere with a bed cover.

Bpounds, great pictures of your Custom Flow! I love my earlier model on my 2001 Ram that I got very lucky with and picked up on Craigslist.
I think many don't think they can be made secure.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BillB3857
Explorer
Explorer
I elect to just pull my OEM tailgate off and lay it flat at the rear of the bed for towing. Since it is wider than the uprights, it can't slide out. After unhitching, I just put it back on. I've looked at the vanity tail gates and to me, they just had too many issues against them. I have the Retrax rolling bed cover.
2004 Silverado LB7 D/A CC LB DRW 4x4, Firestone RideRites, Air Lift Compressor, Line-X Bed Liner, Retrax Bed Cover, Backup Cam, Pullrite Super 5th Hitch, Rear View Cam
AstroStart 2205A Remote Start
2014 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Trail-Air Pin Box

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
pinesman wrote:
I appreciate all of the comments. My main concern is using one of these tailgates with my folding truck cover

I don't think this will be a problem with any of the covers or any of the tailgates.

My cover is a rolling Retrax, and my tailgate is a Custom Flow. I have the insert, but rarely use it.

Here are a couple of pics, but I just don't see how any tailgate would interfere with a bed cover.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
I did that as well, and I painted a sheet of plywood black, fastened it to gate inside..when I used my flexible cover .

Bingo!

The SC $200. variety from Northern Tool
Ditto on the black plywood - plus a DIY removable section for the "V" notch.
E-Z ....TG stays "up" when hitching-unhitching.

And yes - I use a Fold-A-Cover when not towing.

Sure the factory -or a higher priced variety would look better - but
stock (factory) TGs on pickups are a "HOT" item.
Make sure you have a theft deterrent if you prefer the factory item!

High demand due to damages - E-Z to steal, non-traceable.
Also "viscous cycle" - stolen? Owner needs another.
Insurance "covers theft? Check your deductible.

Mine stays on all the time...:C

~

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:

Probably you are out of luck for what you want. The story one size fits all doesn't apply this time.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I bought a cheapo black metal Stromberg Carlson for my 18 black Ram 2500. Blends in perfect and looks nice. I like it so much that I'm not sure if I'll put the OEM back on in the winter. Loading lumber or heavy sacks of cement or the like is easier. I can get closer to the bed standing in the notched area when it's down. I also moved the cables from the OEM to the Stromberg. I stand on it all the time getting in and out of the truck. It's also easier for me to reach my in bed 7 plug.

I agree with all your points 100%!

In fact this winter I’m planning to have my local spray in bed liner place add some to the top edge of it as i occaisonally haul some long boards. The notch makes it great for doing that by limiting the amount I need to tie off.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Rather than get a whole new gate I came up with a couple chains to hold the gate a few inches open when I'm maneuvering with my hitch slid back. Not sure if this would help in your instance.

Ours broke at the bottom left rear where it pivots up and down. It was hanging out. Time for a new one.
chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
I did that as well, and I painted a sheet of plywood black, fastened it to gate inside..when I used my flexible cover .
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a cheapo black metal Stromberg Carlson for my 18 black Ram 2500. Blends in perfect and looks nice. I like it so much that I'm not sure if I'll put the OEM back on in the winter. Loading lumber or heavy sacks of cement or the like is easier. I can get closer to the bed standing in the notched area when it's down. I also moved the cables from the OEM to the Stromberg. I stand on it all the time getting in and out of the truck. It's also easier for me to reach my in bed 7 plug.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than get a whole new gate I came up with a couple chains to hold the gate a few inches open when I'm maneuvering with my hitch slid back. Not sure if this would help in your instance.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed a new Stromberg Carlson on our 05 after I had a broken metal part break on the V gate on the trip south. It was new in 2001. 100 lbs was on the information. fast service from e-trailer. Can't buy from CW as Marcus told me to not come in their stores. His loss not mine.
Chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
My reservation on the Carlson was not being able to put weight on it when it is down.

I have no idea what kind of gate I have; I sort of inherited it. With the cables swapped over from the OEM gate, I have no problem standing on it. Hell, it's about as heavy as the OEM gate. If I don't swap the cables over, I'll use a ratchet strap to hold it level so I can put a couple blue jugs on it for hand-washing/spare water for the camp when we boondock.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Or our Custom Flow tailgate from a friend. The best thing it does is provide better vision to the rear. Second is not getting out of the truck multiple times when raining to hook/unhook
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB