cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Many Pounds Are We Pulling

Don_Parrish
Explorer
Explorer
In researching Hitch Capacity here, most of those discussions focus on tongue weight. I would like to have some estimate of how many pounds of pressure is exerted when pulling a toad or trailer. I can, with not too much effort, push or pull my toad by myself on level ground but not up a 6% grade. That's not 60 MPH either. All this comes to mind when working on winch capacity to load a toad on a trailer. Minus a "load cell", how might one compute the amount of "pull" in pounds to move a 4500# vehicle (tires properly inflated)?
11 REPLIES 11

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have had one of those $49 boat winches on my open trailer for more than 20 years and with a home made "snatch block" I have pulled a full sized pickup on there that had no wheels on it.....a regular car of any size is a snap.

Yup, he beat me to it. Just get a snatch block if you are concerned. Half the speed, twice the pull.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had one of those $49 boat winches on my open trailer for more than 20 years and with a home made "snatch block" I have pulled a full sized pickup on there that had no wheels on it.....a regular car of any size is a snap.

Don_Parrish
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog:
Sometimes things just don't run and they have to be taken to somewhere else for me to work on the problems. Such in the case with the '67 Corvette and the '53 Ford Tractor. Summer northern AZ and winter in Phoenix.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When talking about "hitch capacity" do not forget what happens during heavy braking. Now you have the momentum of the toad/trailer pushing against the hitch as well as the stress on the brakes of the towing vehicle.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why winch the car on??? Drive it on. A 1000 lb winch will pull it up most trailer ramps.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
If you are sizing a winch remember a winch only pulls the rated capacity when all the cable is off the drum except the last layer. As the winch drum fills with cable it acts like a gear and the drum gets bigger making the pulling power less as the drum grows in diameter and it is a dramatic difference. You could remove most of the cable to correct for this. I have done testing on a 10,000 pound winch that held about 4 or 5 layers of cable on the drum when all of the cable was on the drum and it was full the pulling capacity was just over 5,000 pounds. When the cable was payed out to the last layer on the drum leaving 3 wraps we got the 10,000#.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Delta V plus rolling resistance plus or minus allowance for slope.
-- Chris Bryant

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The amount of pull to drag a 4500 lb car down the road behind a motorhome on level ground at 60 mph is minimal.... Likely under 200 lbs. Going up a 6% grade would require adding to that number roughly 6% of 4500 or another 270 lbs. If you wanted to pull a 4500 lb car up a 45 degree incline it would require 4500/1.414 or about 3200 lbs of pull.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the rolling resistance you're concerned about with winching onto the trailer, it's the lift. Compared to the distance. Say for example your front axle weighs 3,000# and you roll it 3' forward to lift it 1'. 1/3 = 1,000# line load on the winch.

In a real application you'll have little jumps in lift like the first bump up onto the ramp that will exceed the average.

PS not good to load a winch near capacity.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
if you're flat towing the vehicle the tongue weight on the hitch is negligible. the more important consideration is the total weight of the vehicle and whether that is too much weight for the the GCWR, the hitch or your towbar.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH (defined as the sum of the actual weights on each axle) as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing crosses my mind at work every day when I load cars and trucks on our flatbeds. On flat ground I have an advertised 7 degree approach angle, but often I have to load a vehicle that is on a steep uphill. One day Iโ€™ll thumb thru my old Collection of Geometry and Physics textbooks and figure it out, or do like my kids and search Google
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles