cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T Fiber

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of wire does AT&T Fiber come into the house on?
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

13 REPLIES 13

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are lucky with the fiber direct to the house. Awesome speeds.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Luke Porter wrote:

There is NO fiber coming into my RV! RV forum, right?

Beans? LOL!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Cincinnati Bell Fiber Optics and it comes to my garage where it plugs into a contraption that is plugged into a power outlet and then feeds cat 6 to my router.

I've been very happy with it for 4 years I've had it. Speed is more consistent than cable (Spectrum in my area) and I have only had outages when I've lost power.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
My fiber line comes into the house to the router. The main TV with DVR is connected by Cat5, the other tvs, tablet, e-book, cellphone, printer, and home security system is connected by WiFi. My computer is connected by Ethernet cable and I have 500 Mb download speeds which is 50 times the DSL speed I used to have.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
We're all here to learn new things from our RV friends. Back in the day AT&T supplied DSL internet from the central office over twisted pair wire. The availability was pretty much limited by how far you were from the CO. I was on the hairy edge, distance wise, so it was a challenge. Fast forward....AT&T ran Fiber Optic cable to the little hut where all of our neighborhoods in this area were terminated. It was much closer so the speed was better, but they still used the existing twisted pair wire to deliver the final product to our houses....which limits speed vs having fiber direct to each house.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Luke Porter wrote:

There is NO fiber coming into my RV! RV forum, right?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

cathanas
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Austin, AT&T fiber is fiber to the house. It comes with both a fiber-to-gigabit transceiver (located near power like in the garage) and then a wireless router located where ever your other equipment is. Very fast and reliable.

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. All of my current utilities are underground and enter the house in concrete columns. After watching the YouTube guess I'll stick with cable.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you live. "Fiber" doesn't always mean fiber optic to your device or property. Often the term "fiber" means from the HeadEnd to the Node servicing your street of block. From the Node to your home may be CAT or Coax wiring. In a new neighborhood or one where government or customers are wiling to pay, the fiber may be brought to your property. You may also find fiber to your NID and they use that as a distribution point for your neighbors via wires.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
On our area in Ontario many of the internet ISP's have fibre right into the house.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Having "fiber" in your house is not very useful as you likely will not own anything you can plug it into ! I hope that the installation would include a router/switch with at least 8 Gigabit Ethernet (1000Base-T, backward compatible with 100Base-T) ports. Both use the same RJ45 plugs.

To achieve 1000Base-T throughput, you should purchase good quality, pre-made, CAT-5e or CAT-6 cables.

gkainz wrote:
last comment - here's a better video youtube AT&T into the house

Yes, much better ! The ONT converts fiber to copper. You supply you own switch/router.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I would be surprised if they actually did a fiber drop into each house. I've pinged a few of my co-workers who may know exactly where they drop from fiber to cable in each circuit. Will update if/when I hear back.

Edit - talked to some co-workers and they said that they usually DO run a fiber drop to the house. At the DMARC box (outside the house), it converts to CAT-5, CAT-6 (or coax sometimes) and then that medium continues inside the house. You can open the DMARC box and verify what you have.

However, I just found this Youtube AT&T gigabit installation that shows fiber continuing into the house ... so I guess I'll just shut up now! ๐Ÿ˜„

last comment - here's a better video youtube AT&T into the house
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Telecom Fiber is made of glass and is not a "wire."
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad