cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warranty Work Frustration After Frustration -

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
I had posted some of our issues regarding our 2019 Forest river Forester. Now that we have finally arrived at the dealer for warranty work, three days now, I can share my frustrations. We have a Smart Arm that did not work at all (we have had our unit 3 months) only now to get work done because we were committed at a camp host position with our new coach. After several days the serviceman got our Smart Arm to work outside with the panel on the arm, however if you want to use the functions from the Control Panel Inside you can only close it from the inside, it doesn't allow you to open it from the inside. They are trying to reach someone at forest river, thinking it could possibly be factory wiring. The other issue are two of three TV in our coach do not work. They test them, one does not work at all and the other only has wavy lines going through it. So of three tvs only the bedroom TV works. They have ordered two, but are wondering if wiring is also involved. Also there is an emergency window in bedroom, it has leaked after three major storms. Thank God for Bounty towels. In each storm I had to sit at the back window sopping up water until it stopped. They caulked the window today. It is now raining. Fortunately we are leaving the place where we are getting work done tomorrow. If it leaks tonight they then would order a new window. Finally, we have a small piece of clear film that was put on the overhang (full body paint) that needs to be fixed. The guy never showed up to make the repair. My husband stated, I don't mind having issues that need to be fixed, but when they can't seem to fix them, well now that is a cause for concern.
Anyone other Forest River folks with issues like this. When do we hire a lawyer?
17 REPLIES 17

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately you are in the middle of a cluster (well you know). Dealers get paid much less (parts and labor) to do warranty work than they get paid for customer pay tickets. That's one reason WHY they avoid warranty work if they can.

Generally, the dealer must attempt to do the most economical repair first if they want to get paid (reimbursed) at all. If/when that doesn't make you go away, often they have to contact the manufacturer in advance to get complicated (expensive) warranty work approved. Often that means a visit from the factory warranty claims representative to review/approve the work prior to starting on it. That all takes time. YOUR TIME. It's not right, but, that's the way it's been for years.

Some of the better dealers are willing to stick their neck out hoping to get approval (later) to expedite the process, but if they do the work and the factory doesn't/won't approve the repair, they could be out the cost of the warranty work through no fault of their own other than failing to follow the proper channels. One reason why the dealer may be more willing to do your warranty work is if you bought the vehicle from them. When that is the case, they are only giving back a portion of the profit they made on you in the fist place.

Salespeople generally don't discuss warranty terms when you are hot to buy because the customer doesn't ask. They just want to go camping.

Chum lee

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
whizbang wrote:

If the window frame seal is bad, the window should be removed and re-installed with butyl tape around the entire opening. Optional caulking is a backup plan. The main seal is the butyl tape.

With many Forest River brands / divisions butyl tape is not used on windows when the exterior is laminated construction. They use neoprene gaskets. Same for the exterior lights and most other exterior items.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:
They caulked the window???????????

This is not a repair. This is a bandaid. And possibly the wrong thing to do.

The first thing to do is identify the leak. If, as the other poster suggested, the weep holes are plugged, the water will leak through the window. No amount of sealing or caulking will remedy the problem.

If the window frame seal is bad, the window should be removed and re-installed with butyl tape around the entire opening. Optional caulking is a backup plan. The main seal is the butyl tape.

X2 Removing and reinstalling a window is not that hard. Get a battery powered drill with the proper bit and back out all the screws. Have a helper make sure the window doesn't fall out(usually it doesn't) Scrap off all the old butyl tape, then reapply new all around then cinch down the frame with the screws. If it's a slider window don't make the screws too tight cause it can bind up the window. Just trim off the butyl that squeezes out around the edges and your done.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
They caulked the window???????????

This is not a repair. This is a bandaid. And possibly the wrong thing to do.

The first thing to do is identify the leak. If, as the other poster suggested, the weep holes are plugged, the water will leak through the window. No amount of sealing or caulking will remedy the problem.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Problems can happen with any camper from cheap entry level units to the most expensive highest end units.

Had a friend buy a very expensive Class A, drove it home from the dealer and started adding water to the fresh water tank. A few minutes later they found water in all the under chassis storage areas and on the floor. Drove back to the dealer immediately, they tried telling him a pile of excuses because they tested "EVERYTHING" before he picked it up. He got the salesperson involved and tones changed. They pulled it in the shop and started looking till they found a fresh water line that was never connected - so much for checking at the plant and at the dealer. Water in tank & pump on and the pump would start pumping water till the tank was empty, being a high end unit the pump was completely quiet. Dealer dried everything out and repaired it but with what he paid this should never had happened.

The OP did everything right, what I would do now if you are not already doing it is to write and photograph EVERYTHING.

The TV's should easily be checked by plugging a lamp into the plug the TV's are plugged into. If the lamp works the TV should power on - if they still don't come on it is the TV. If the TV's do come on then check the cable/ satellite input if that is what you have, and work from there. Sounds to me like dud TV's

For the window this is a little harder, check the lower track to see if there is any debris blocking the drain holes. If it still leaks dry the window as best you can then look where the water is coming in, use a grease pen to mark the spot and take a picture so you can take this back to the dealer so they can see. Very well could be the cut out is the wrong size or the window itself is messed up.

Cannot help you with the arm but my thinking is that it is the arm as if it works partly then sounds to me like a issue with the unit.

Once you get everything fixed, and it may take a while, send a write-up to the manufacturer so they know what you have gone through and your thoughts on their units and service. It may help someone in the future but would not hold my breath. Also if you have an issue in a couple months they have a file already started on your unit.

Once you get things fixed hopefully you will have years of enjoyment from it.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph C. X2
I have friends with a $700k class A and their problems seem to occur more often than mine. Even though the repairs are being made, they have to go back to the MFG each time. They get the MH picked up at a campground where they are staying each day at 8 AM and its returned at 6 PM. They sit and hang out at the CG all day or take day trips in their dingy. That's what you get for these days for $700k . IMO, RV's are RV's no matter what .

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
PghBob wrote:
LarryDel:

I'm sorry for your problems. It should not happen with a new rig, and the treatment your are receiving is terrible. Once most repairs are complete, give some thought to getting rid of that lemon and buying from a higher end manufacturer. Good Luck.

In all fairness............Forest Rivers divisions / brands operate mostly independently, some more than others. The warranty approvals and parts coordination can be terrible at one division, and exemplary at the next.

Just because you go to a "higher end manufacturer" as defined by someones opinion may get you better service or it may not.

Has the OP contacted the warranty rep for Forester? It appears to be Josh Cavitt, JBCavitt@forestriverinc.com , 574-343-5178

Going that route may get the OP somewhere. I know the Rockwood Division goes a step beyond. Other than a SNAFU with the purchase when they shipped a total POS when we ordered a unit from the factory with our name on it, which we refused to buy (a whole other story), the second one shipped was more than satisfactory. A night and day difference. Since that time all it took was a phone call to the Rockwood rep to have a new microwave and reimbursement check for a fried Dometic fridge element sent to our house. Not long ago an emailed picture of a crack in a fender skirt got a new set shipped direct to me, and that was long after the warranty had expired.

OP, if you make contact with the rep, and so much as mention lawyer, that will be the end of any potential help from the factory.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
LarryDel:

I'm sorry for your problems. It should not happen with a new rig, and the treatment your are receiving is terrible. Once most repairs are complete, give some thought to getting rid of that lemon and buying from a higher end manufacturer. Good Luck.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not post your experience over at the Forest River Forums? Then you can get blasted from the Kool Aid drinkers who will tell you its all the dealers fault. Or perhaps you should attend the annual FR rally in Goshen IN, at your own expense,where they fix all the defects that your rig should never have left the factory with?

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't the Lippert Smart Arm recalled?

Forest River Recalls
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryDel, my 2018 FR had a hidden 2" hole under the left stationary awning arm that is attached to the rv close to the emergency window. The window leaked like a waterfall.

When the awning arm is deployed, you will see a vinyl insert on the stationary arm that's attached to the rv. It can be popped out using a flat bladed screw driver, its held in place by pressure.
Once that was done, the open 2" hole was visible. It was plugged and caulked at the factory but someone did not wait long enough for the caulk to cure and closed the awning. The wet caulk sealed itself against the insert and not the hole . Water poured in the hole, thru the wall and hit the window frame and ran down the interior wall like a waterfall.
In my case, running water poured off my rain gutter extension that backed up due to its level/upward angle, allowing rain water to run down the arm adding more water to my leak.
When my awning was closed, the tight closed arm help seal the hole but when the awning was open it ran like a waterfall thru the E-window interior wall. Depending how that hole was sealed by FR could be a potential problem with the awning in or out. Look into it.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO the OP had a right to expect it would all work when he committed to the job and could not take it in just then. IMO in such cases you should be allowed to get a mobile repair guy in and claim for that.

The other thing that is annoying, is if you do a temporary fix yourself when away, you worry if that will mean you lose your warranty when you get back and want to get it fixed "right".

After getting the big things fixed for free during warranty period on the 5er we had, I was also happy when the warranty expired, because now I could do whatever I wanted if anything went wrong.

Of course if you are not a handyman looking for things to fix like that old Maytag repair man, it is not the same. In that case you are just up the creek with no paddle. Yes, you need to be something of a handyman if you have an RV or else have lots of money. (But then you would not be in an RV!)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure you can blame the Dealer or Forest River if your rig leaked every time it rained and you didn't take it in to get it fixed. I'm thinking anything after leak one is on you.