cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hey 64 Franklin to Mutphy NC

gokart2
Explorer
Explorer
Driving 37' MH & towing small truck and wondered if this road was reasonable, How about grades or switch backs? Thank you for feedback.
5 REPLIES 5

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charles is right. Not a terrible trip now. There is some elevation changes but no 'dangerous' switchbacks that would/should stop you if you choose that route as part of your trip
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
This is a drive that will test the Faint of Heart.

I've driven it both ways in the Signature RV - so it can be done.

Generally I say if you have to ask, then it just might not be for You.

I all my years of driving the Highways of the USA this is the only Road I had to stop on a Curve/SwitchBack and let the Tractor Trailer gong the other way Back Up (I could not back up with the Toad) Little traffic so the TT backed up and I drove past, not a big deal just both drivers needed to be aware and stop, so as not to create an Issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

So if you drive this way and are comfortable with the tight conditions then go for it. If you are nervous and this will cause you pain then maybe not.

Hope this helps,

edit - In a Gocart it would be Easy ๐Ÿ™‚

You are describing the OLD US 64 west of Franklin. now known as County road 1448/Old Murphy Rd/Allison Creek Rd.

It connects to the new US 64 at a point 6 miles from the 64/23 intersection in Franklin, and re-emerges onto the new 64 very close to where the Nantahala River crosses the highway.

Yes, the old road is very winding and has a couple of tight switchbacks on it. I visited Standing Indian Campground, USDA-FS (accessed off this road) a year and a half ago and had taken the new 64 from Franklin to the river and then went back to the campground. There is a fairly long 8% or so grade on the new highway (peaks where the Appalachian trail crosses) with a couple of pull offs. Host at the campground was fairly local and suggested taking the old road back to Franklin, as it is "flatter", which I did. Interesting drive but in a 24 ft motorhome it was no issue making the switchbacks.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A serious climb coming out of Franklin and then a dip in the middle and then another climb. No switchbacks and the truck runaway ramps are in the other direction on the first climb. Road is in very good condition and I would not go to Clayton to avoid it going to Hiawassee. Going the other direction I might suggest the longer route.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
gokart2 wrote:
Driving 37' MH & towing small truck and wondered if this road was reasonable, How about grades or switch backs? Thank you for feedback.

This is a drive that will test the Faint of Heart.

I've driven it both ways in the Signature RV - so it can be done.

Generally I say if you have to ask, then it just might not be for You.

I all my years of driving the Highways of the USA this is the only Road I had to stop on a Curve/SwitchBack and let the Tractor Trailer gong the other way Back Up (I could not back up with the Toad) Little traffic so the TT backed up and I drove past, not a big deal just both drivers needed to be aware and stop, so as not to create an Issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

So if you drive this way and are comfortable with the tight conditions then go for it. If you are nervous and this will cause you pain then maybe not.

Hope this helps,

edit - In a Gocart it would be Easy ๐Ÿ™‚
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

gokart2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you