I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
14 REPLIES 14

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Match pads to rotors. AMG brake rotors are relativ4ly soft and pads to match.
If you to pads harder than the rotors are matched with you will eat up the rotors and so on faster.
if you can find any get real heat treated then cold stabilized rotors and pads to match. Not sure where to start except Internet.

MrWizard
Did the brakes this past Tuesday , four days ago
Replaced pads with new semi metallic pads

So far working good
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Replace with OEM pads, take the guess work out of the equation.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
getting ready to do the front brakes on my 1997 F53 Bounder

I'm thinking ceramic is better for heat dissipation on a heavy MH
right or wrong ? pros/cons ?

Everything is a trade off. If your pads last longer but your rotors wear out sooner, what's the best answer for you?

If the pads wear faster, the brakes work better but wear out sooner and the wheels load up with dust, what's more important to you?

If every time you touch the brakes it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, but the brakes/wheels stay cleaner, for longer, and last forever, what's better for you?

I could go on forever, but . . . . . .

The OEM's (vehicle manufacturers) usually select materials that generate the least phone calls (read service complaints) for them. Their experience (which came from building/servicing millions of vehicles like yours) helps them decide what comes with your vehicle when it is delivered new. How you decide to change it (if at all) is up to you.

Chum lee

No one has mentioned it so far, but if you are having trouble with your brakes overheating, you could also consider using cross drilled and and/or slotted rotors (or both) with various pad combinations. Before you throw parts at the issue, if you have one, finding out WHY you have a brake overheating issue is advised. After all, you are already driving a heavy duty truck chassis with very large brakes.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
use what's easiest on the rotors pads are a lot cheaper to buy then rotors, and easier to change.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ceramic pads on all my vehicle. No issues with noise. All stop excellent and no filthy wheels! Even my X stops better!
Same thing for me, I run ceramic pads on all my vehicles except my 2016 dodge 3500 due to not needing to change with only 20K miles but when needed the will be ceramic.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ceramic pads on all my vehicle. No issues with noise. All stop excellent and no filthy wheels! Even my X stops better!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
garry1p wrote:
I put on the ceramic and like others no dust however no noticeable stopping distance and they ate the rotors.

Went back to semi-metallic pads.

X-2

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I put on the ceramic and like others no dust however no noticeable stopping distance and they ate the rotors.

Went back to semi-metallic pads.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Been my experience that ceramic pads tend to eat the rotors up faster and they squeak.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
My Lincoln MKZ has ceramic pads, and they wear very well, but they squeak a lot. Don't know if it would be the same with your rig.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the OEM semi-metallic pads on my 2500 RAM CTD with ceramic Akebono pads. They made a world of difference when stopping, especially when towing. An added plus is no brake dust on my wheels.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the heat affects the pads much. It's the heat boiling the brake fluid that's a problem on our F53s.
My 95 F53 don't stop well when the brakes are at ambient temperature, they need to warm up a little for best braking.
You may want to consider DOT 5.1 brake fluid. I believe it has a higher boiling point than DOT 4.

Also, check the outer brake pad fit in the caliper mounting bracket before you secure it to the caliper. I find most pads are a touch too long and don't float well in the bracket. It needs to float to release properly.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Ceramic can handle higher heats but carbon metallic provides better braking but are dirtier. Ask any race car driver. Most use carbon metallic.
RVing since 1995.