cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

small inverter install

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
My old trailer had a cheapo 150w MSW inverter mounted to a shelf with a multistrip plugged into it. It worked ok for our needs, charging phones, computers, watching the occasional movie, stuff like that. But I hated that the fan ran all the time that it was on, and for the new motorhome I wanted something more slick that would use the outlets in the rig instead of a single multistrip for inverted power.

So following a little research, I straight up copied an idea from time2roll and installed a GoPower 300w sine wave inverter through a Xantrex transfer switch wired inline with the receptacles.

From the factory, there were two circuit breakers that fed all the outlets (except the kitchen, they are on their own circuit), split front and back of the motorhome. One of these circuits was shared with the converter, and the other with the refrigerator. It was easy to remove the romex from the main panel for both of these circuits, and since the converter is plugged into an outlet mounted on the distribution panel itself, it was also easy to leave that on its existing circuit.

So I ran a new line of Romex from the 15a circuit that used to feed the refrigerator and the rear half of outlets over to the new transfer switch, then ran the output of that to another box that joined with the two factory existing lines I had disconnected from the panel.

Now I have front and rear outlets (and the refrigerator) on one 15a circuit powered by the inverter, the generator, or shore power automatically via the switch. The only bummer is I need to ensure the fridge is on gas mode when using the inverter. In doing this project, the guy at my hardware store also keyed me into a cool wire nut replacement, the Wago 221-413. Itโ€™s a lever operated connector, supposed to be better than wire nuts for use in an RV (with all the moving and bouncing). I donโ€™t know about being better, but it sure is easier! Especially when one of the wires is stranded (like the leads coming out of the transfer switch).

Hereโ€™s a few pics of it installed under my couch, plenty of room down there.

For 12v power I went super simple for now and wired the GoPower supplied 10awg wires through a 20a fuse on the factory 12v distribution panel (itโ€™s got a little sticker that says max 20a fuse). I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ll draw over this, but if I have a problem with that fuse popping Iโ€™ll re-wire from the +12v distribution bar with 10awg to a standalone 30a fuse.

The inverter uses a simple on/off contact for a remote switch, so I picked up a surface mount light switch from the hardware store and mounted it to the wall. I painted the lower part of the switch with red nail polish so I can easily see from the entry door if the switch is on.

All in all I think it will be a nice inexpensive integrated upgrade with a very high WAF (wife acceptance factor). :C
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
5 REPLIES 5

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Did three nights over Thanksgiving without hook-ups, the inverter worked perfect. 5 of us with phones and things charging at various times, I left the inverter on pretty much the whole time since the idle draw was only like .25 amps. The fan never came on, and everything was super simple even for the non tech savvy. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

MrWizard
I leave my fridge on propane, unless I run out
Although I can switch to electric from inverter
While filling the l.p. Tank (if needed) , usually not nesscesary
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very happy to read and see your success!

I put a small reminder next to my switch to place the fridge on propane only.
Although I have run my fridge with this inverter for a day when I had an issue with propane. Draws about 27 amps when fridge is cycled on.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"The only bummer is I need to ensure the fridge is on gas mode"

If the fridge runs well on gas, why not just leave it that way?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Nice - gives me another winter project to consider. Thanks.
Kevin