cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlanta I-75?

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Will be going through Atlanta Monday after Thanksgiving. Probably mid-day. Heading southbound with 5th wheel. What is my best route to follow? Last year was a backup north of city and stayed on 75 through downtown. It went well once we got by the bypass. Seemed the backup was all th semis lined up to go on bypass. Any issues this year I need to kno! Thanks Jim.
17 REPLIES 17

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisatthebeach wrote:
If you are not in a hurry, take US27 and stay completely away from it.

X2

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
jimwooster wrote:
Thanks for the great advice. I think we will be going through mid day on Monday. Best advice was stay at least 3 lanes from right. (Mistake last year got backed up behind trucks exiting on bypass). The other go straigh through on 75. Thank you all. Jim

Have a great trip!

On a side note...I didn't notice your name earlier...As a Wooster alum, I have to say - Go Scots!

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great advice. I think we will be going through mid day on Monday. Best advice was stay at least 3 lanes from right. (Mistake last year got backed up behind trucks exiting on bypass). The other go straigh through on 75. Thank you all. Jim

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not in a hurry, take US27 and stay completely away from it.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

Yes on I75 there are express toll lanes that require the Peach Pass.

Also on part of I-85 now. North I think.

And I could swear that some other transponders now worked too, Sun Pass from Florida and maybe EZ Pass too......but I couldn't find that with a quick search.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Remember that, if there are two or more of you, the HOV lanes are accessible to you.

True. But be careful with that.

In some places the HOV lane has been converted to an "express" lane and it is NOT the same. Use of the express lanes REQUIRES a Toll transponder of the proper type.

I do not know what types of vehicles are allowed in the express lanes.

Is this true in Atlanta? I have seen this elsewhere, but was in Atlanta in July and don't recall any express/toll lanes in GA.

Yes on I75 there are express toll lanes that require the Peach Pass. There are HOV lanes well inside the beltway or I285. There is no restriction on trailers on the HOV lanes.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Remember that, if there are two or more of you, the HOV lanes are accessible to you.

In some places the HOV lane has been converted to an "express" lane and it is NOT the same. Use of the express lanes REQUIRES a Toll transponder of the proper type.

Is this true in Atlanta? I have seen this elsewhere, but was in Atlanta in July and don't recall any express/toll lanes in GA.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
*** Watch those HOV lanes... A LOT of them are restricted to 2 axle cars only.....

The ones below Washington DC are,, ask me how I know ! ! !

Yes - I am speaking to Atlanta specifically. The GA Department of Public safety has a list of rules for HOV lanes that includes 'Vehicles with two or more (living and not pre-infant) persons.' While I find the qualifier hilarious, the underlying rule does not make any claims about vehicle nature or axles.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

*** Watch those HOV lanes... A LOT of them are restricted to 2 axle cars only.....

The ones below Washington DC are,, ask me how I know ! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Remember that, if there are two or more of you, the HOV lanes are accessible to you. These lanes are separated from traffic with a bit more space - creating a buffer that can really help.

Best advice I ever read, in addition to that, was to stay 3 lanes from the right when not in an HOV lane. The first two lanes can disappear quite suddenly as you pass through the city - staying three lanes from the right can really save some last minute lane-shifts.

X2 ...especially about staying out of right hand lanes.
Last year, we went through on a Sunday morning and if you can possibly leave a day earlier, I would give it some consideration. We're headed to Florida in January via 75 and I'm planning our departure so that we go through Atlanta on a Sunday......if the weather doesn't alter our plans.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that, if there are two or more of you, the HOV lanes are accessible to you. These lanes are separated from traffic with a bit more space - creating a buffer that can really help.

Best advice I ever read, in addition to that, was to stay 3 lanes from the right when not in an HOV lane. The first two lanes can disappear quite suddenly as you pass through the city - staying three lanes from the right can really save some last minute lane-shifts.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:

X2^^ - stay away from the loop. Pick a center lane on I-75 and just keep going.

Rob

And if you have a GPS like mine.....IGNORE the constant advice to "keep right". That is exactly the wrong thing to do.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
dalenoel wrote:
Since the semis' can't just go through it has always been a problem getting to the main city. We will be going straight through before New Years day and plan on not being any different. Just avoid rush hour and it should be okay. I've got a 36' MH with toad. We plan on being through by 2:30 pm..

X2^^ - stay away from the loop. Pick a center lane on I-75 and just keep going.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015