Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bringing Gifts

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A "Tip" comes from a wallet or purse

A "Gift" comes from the heart.

I choose bed linens. They used to be almost beyond reach. Now down here in big box stores, Costco and Wal-Mart twenty five dollar "sencillo" sets may not be available (twin size). Yet matrimonial sizes are very common.

So it's a toss up.

But the more colorful the more the delight.

Housekeepers express appreciation for good quality bed linen. Much of the stuff I see in Wal-Mart down here is really basic stuff and keep in mind everything you see costs 116% of the numbers on the price tag. And price tags run 150 to 200% of what is found north of the border.

I shop Amazon Prime and look for 5-hour special deals where a set of sheets and pillowcase may cost $10.00 delivered.

For friends living on the coast a quality fish fillet knife is beyond price. But you have got to demonstrate ho the blade can be bent 45 degrees to make their eyebrows touch their hairline. Brenda has hers and Jesus has one with a longer blade. Do they value these things? A professional oyster shucker has been in his pocket since 2005. Valued like a solid gold timepiece. They both filete fish. "Unbelievable" says Jesus "I can filete fish 5 times faster"

A cigarette lighter tire compressor is a good bet if the family has a car
4 REPLIES 4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how a tourist is going to gain access to tightly regulated (style and color combinations) never mind the size before departing to Mexico. This would have to be done while in Mexico with a known family. I was aiming my post at general gifts that can go to most families anywhere.

"Adopting" a family while on a long stay can work for this specialty stuff. Up in cold country, Zacatecas, Durango, Creel, Patzcuaro, San Cristbal de Las Casas, a quality king size comforter can be doubled over. I have seen gifts go on a double bed nesting five children.

Costco in the states sells packages of 4 LED bulb lights that draw 14 watts and give off better than 100 watts power illumination. Most rural Mexicans choose white rather than warm light. A single lamp may light up a kitchen and dining area. A word to the wise -- many folks are going to believe the 14 watt lamp will increase their electric bill. It's safe to say that one "espiral" compact CFL lamp is equal to two of the LED bulbs as far as energy is concerned. The folks I have given these bulbs to love them. For an extra special gift I saw entire 22 watt fixtures in Costco with 22 watts of power. They are nice enough for an upscale American home.

If you hang out for months at a time in the same area, gift giving in simplified because medidas de tomano, clothing sizes can be written down.

Few areas have powerful diopter reading glasses. I am writing this while wearing 4.0 diopter glasses. Yet AMAZON carries excellent value multiple sets and I have pairs of 6.0 and 7.0 diopter for specialty work. Three point five is a good all-around magnification.

That's why my original post sort of leaned toward AMAZON because few used clothing and bedding items are seen there.

Talleyho69
I'm also hearing that here in Zihuatanejo, "cheater" glasses, the magnifiers, new, of course with the magnification marked on them. The couple that runs Zihuatanejo.net makes a point of hooking up people with the glasses. Yes, school uniforms, and shoes too.

Also popular is class sets of school supplies. That information is listed in the stores in August and September, but also available on line.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know where you shop. I never find prices that high. I'm calling ::::::::::

On edit, if you're referring to gifts for Mexicans, I agree but make sure it's new stuff. Nobody wants someone else's used junk.

We have enough used junk here.

School uniforms, new school supplies, a pair of dress shoes. Those are great gifts.

I've seen people clean out their rv to eliminate junk and make it sound like it's a really big deal.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad