cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st mh looking for quick this or that

Themaxx69
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking for years, thinking about buying a beaver here shortly. Just wondering what ya'll think about these two. I know there are a lot of factors, but to make it easier let's assume both are in comparable working order and similar price.

Blue pill....2001 beaver marquis emerald 42 double slide clean title. 107k miles

Red pill.....2005 beaver santiam 38pdq quad slide salvage title. 26k miles

Both are supposedly in excellent overall condition. The santiam supposedly got wet inside from open window and carpet was replaced and no damage to subflooring or anything else.

Just given that basic info, wondering what you think. Sure the marquis is nicer inside, but slightly smaller. Tag axle...difference is debatable. Mileage again debatable.
15 REPLIES 15

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Themaxx69 wrote:
Been looking for years, thinking about buying a beaver here shortly. Just wondering what ya'll think about these two. I know there are a lot of factors, but to make it easier let's assume both are in comparable working order and similar price.

Blue pill....2001 beaver marquis emerald 42 double slide clean title. 107k miles

Both are supposedly in excellent overall condition. The santiam supposedly got wet inside from open window and carpet was replaced and no damage to subflooring or anything else.

Just given that basic info, wondering what you think. Sure the marquis is nicer inside, but slightly smaller. Tag axle...difference is debatable. Mileage again debatable.

IMHO - I Run right out and get a Professional inspection of the "2001 beaver marquis emerald 42" What a Coach!

If it passes you will Likely Love It - What a Coach.

Link

JMHO,

The coach in your link is advertised to have 107,000 miles and the engine 67,000. Must have had some serious problems at 40,000 miles.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Check with you state's DMV regarding the salvage title. In some states, it is a non-issue. In others, it is almost impossible to title.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Yeah, something smells about the 2005. 50K for a 2001 sounds about right, 50K for the 2005 is about 1/2 price. Probably because of the title, but who knows.

Beavers are great coaches and I believe these 2 years are different coaches. The 2001 would have been built by SMC before the merger with Monaco. The 2005 was built after the merger. Does that effect quality? Probably not, because I think they were both built in Bend, OR. probably by the same workers. Pay no attention to the "only buy new" types here. That 17 year old Beaver is better than any production coach being built today by a long shot.

I doubt that I'll ever sell the Sahara, but if I do it's a Beaver Contessa for the next coach.

I agree with this, Beavers of this vintage are great coaches, well built, easy repaired. Their subfloors are real marine plywood, and sealed.

the salvaged title is a worry. Find out why. It could be based upon a high cost estimate to repair and the Blue book price of the year. 75% of the blue book for a repair, and bye bye coach.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy choice - Blue Pill. You will have trouble with the red pill and won't be able to get rid of it...Ask your insurance agent about getting a vehicle with a salvage title insured. Many won't. Also, it's doubtful you'll find a lender willing to finance that coach. There is a reason, actually many reasons why they won't touch it. You shouldn't either. That's my opinion......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
great advice, hire a mobile tech and have the rv inspected. I don,t beleave the open window .

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Themaxx69 wrote:

IMHO - I Run right out and get a Professional inspection of the "2001 beaver marquis emerald 42" What a Coach!

If it passes you will Likely Love It - What a Coach.

Link

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your insurance company before buying any vehicle with a salvage title.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, something smells about the 2005. 50K for a 2001 sounds about right, 50K for the 2005 is about 1/2 price. Probably because of the title, but who knows.

Beavers are great coaches and I believe these 2 years are different coaches. The 2001 would have been built by SMC before the merger with Monaco. The 2005 was built after the merger. Does that effect quality? Probably not, because I think they were both built in Bend, OR. probably by the same workers. Pay no attention to the "only buy new" types here. That 17 year old Beaver is better than any production coach being built today by a long shot.

I doubt that I'll ever sell the Sahara, but if I do it's a Beaver Contessa for the next coach.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Any used vehicles could have come from hurricane flooded regions. Buying someone else’s problems; no thanks.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree about keeping away from the one with the "open window" damage. There have been too many storms lately that probably indicate this was more than just a little water intrusion. In any case, it is total BS to say that the sub-floor was not damaged. If the carpet got wet, the sub-floor, which is not sealed, got wet also. If the sub-floor was particle board, like many coaches are, it has been damaged, period. They chose not to replace it and are now claiming that it was NOT damaged. The wall surface, under the window stands a good chance of being damaged as well, especially at the bottom. I would avoid that coach.

MrWizard
for me..something doesn't jive on the salvage one

i can't belive an insurance company wrote off and totaled and RV because of an open window and wet floor

caught in a FLOOD ,, yeah

but not an open window rain in

yes yes, we have a member with hurricane roof damage and the whole TT flooded
but that seems more extreme than the story here on the 2005 model

look for more damage & mold, look in the compartments and the under carriage
this could haunt you for a long time

i suggest #1 the blue pill, 2001 model
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid anything with a salvage title. It is hard to get a loan for anything with a salvage title. If you are a cash buyer that is great but your ability to sell it will be hampered if you want to get your money out of it when it comes time to sell it later.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to do long trips, the Marquis hands down.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Themaxx69
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for quick reply! I figure some maintenance will be needed, but for around 50k for either, I think it's a good deal, at least from comparables I've seen over the years.