cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A forum dedicated to DIY RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Overall, RV.NET (or whatever portal you are using) is great, but there just aren't many DIYers here ! I am interested in people building there own TT, and not just one of those teardrops (I want an indoor kitchen, to be able to walk around inside, a comfortable chair, be able to "do my business" and take a shower) or giant tiny houses.

Any one have a link to such a place or is this unicorn hunt ?
12 REPLIES 12

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
While not travel trailers the Toyota RV forums and facebook page do quite a bit. one did a complete new frame with aluminum.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
There is THIS!!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
You could also try here
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/

There's some seriously out of the box builds over there. You can kill an entire weekend on that forum no problem! :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
There's at least one other member who has posted some "virtual" projects, you may be able to search. Winter is a great time for mental exercise, aka noodling!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
aluminum trailer frame, how about carbon fiber? you can buy the fabric in rolls and epoxy in jugs and build your own. Could do the same for floor, wall, etc. might need some plywood molding for certain shapes? aerogel panels for insulation instead of old school foam. a lot less weight and better R value.

I wonder with the right molds, maybe a monolithic shell could be built, instead of regular walls, floor, ceiling, kind of like those bathtub type fiberglas trailers you see now and then.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MrWizard
some 'House Trucks' have slide outs
i have seen several youtube videos on that
these were manual NOT powered, big rollers under floor
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Those are all good suggestions, but I am interested in some "out of the box" solutions.

Like aluminum frames (not just walls). Foam between the frames and glued to the subflooring (must be non-wood).

Square, aluminum tube, walls, the exterior must not contain any natural fibers (like Azdel).

Square, aluminum tube, roof joist bent in a arc. Roofing can not contain any wood fiber so ... Also the interior ceiling will have foam insulation.

How do you actually build a slide out ?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
oh yes, Expo is a good one! And Sportsmobile has a home-built section in their forums, many of the same people. there's also cheaprvliving.com
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Skoolie.net may be another place to check out. Obviously there are some things that skoolies deal with that a homebuilt travel trailer would not (such as the drive train), but a good many of the systems and so forth are also similar.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, YouTube probably the best place these days, despite Google's best efforts to drive creators away from the platform.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
YouTube, have fun! Click here.

There's a place for comments at the bottom of each video. Sometimes those comments are VERY interesting to read.