cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bra for Travel Trailer

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
I am retiring next year and plan to go to Alaska in 2020. I was thinking about installing a bra on the front of my travel trailer for protection. However, today I read about a trailer owner who took his bra off and all the paint was gone. Please give me your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I live in Alaska and have seen a million different rock guards on RV's of all types. A Bra is not the answer, fine silt and sand collect on the edges and rub the surface raw. A shield of some sort mounted out a little ways from the front will work, but will collect dirt which blocks headlights and affect engine/transmission cooling. For travel trailers, the best protection is Rock Guard flaps mounted to the truck hitch.

Personally, a clear bra film protecting the painted surface, headlights, and driving lights works great. They are practically invisible and do not cause engine/transmission cooling issues. For travel trailers, the entire front can be covered in clear film easily. I have the entire front of my truck covered and my rocker panels, works awesome.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. All these are great advice.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you are really worried, some diamond skid plate can look nice as a permanent installation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Never used anything... not sure why you would need it..
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
explorenorth wrote:
When - not if - dirt gets under the bra, it's just a big sheet of sandpaper.

Exactly.

Wax the RV good. Then devise a solid rock guard of some sort. Make sure you have stiff guards behind the wheels of your truck.

x3. Make a shield instead if you need protection. Dirt WILL get between any cover and the surface.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:

Exactly.

Wax the RV good. Then devise a solid rock guard of some sort. Make sure you have stiff guards behind the wheels of your truck.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Make a plasric shield. Aka Airatream. A half sheet of quarter inch clear plastic and a couple of pieces of aluminum angle would be pretty cheap. Easy to put on and remove.