cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 50 gallons of fresh water enough for boondocking?

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
Is 50 gallons of fresh water enough for boondocking? I wonder how long that would last. It seems that the smaller rigs have a smaller water capacity.
59 REPLIES 59

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Learning to conserve water is ingrained in many peole. Some obviously have a lot to learn.

Oh geez I know exactly what you mean. Even worse are the ones that think they know it all.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learning to conserve water is ingrained in many peole. Some obviously have a lot to learn.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I commented earlier, but have some new data to add. ๐Ÿ™‚

We took our first trip in the motorhome last week. 3 nights, 4 days. 70 gallons of fresh and 60 gallons gray. We behaved as if we were on full hook up. Washed dishes, took a total of 6 showers (not military, but not luxurious). We finished the trip with about a quarter tank of fresh left and room in the gray.

We were pleased. If we tried, we could go over a week. If we were 2 instead of 4, we could probably make 2 weeks.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed in many electric only sites, and when it came time to freshen up, I just moved the motor home to a dump site. It really was not bad - much easier than hooking up a 5er or toting water. That was one of the advantages (I always thought) to have a MH vs a towable.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the bladder. I have a 60 gallon and have had it on my utility trailer, on tailgate, very back of truck bed, off to the side of the hitch in an irregular cavity and in the backseat. It's tough as heck and folds into a 12x12x3 inch box. It's great to go get 70 or 80 at one time. I have never been to an RV park that could charge me too much for water or dump when I'm sitting for free just about all the time.

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
One thought. is this a motor home (if so what are you towing) or a Trailer (What are you towing WITH)

Suggestion.. IF there is a pick up truck involed (works in cars too but easier with a pickup) Camping world and other places have "Water Bladders" some are close to 100 Gallons.. You toss one in the bed. (make sure bed is swept clean of debris that might poke holes) go to filling station (water type) fill 'er up and some come with aux pumps to transfer. or you can gravity transfer on some RV's. or add-a-pump.. I have a spare pump. Pumps are 12 volt devices.

Now we have unlimited FRESH. But what about the WASTE tanks?

Blue boy totes or a 55 gallon drum and a portable macerator WIth the Drum you fill 'er up using the pump and gravity dump at the dump station.

It's a motor home in question. But, great to know about your method!! Maybe we should get a small truck as a toad! ๐Ÿ˜‰

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thought. is this a motor home (if so what are you towing) or a Trailer (What are you towing WITH)

Suggestion.. IF there is a pick up truck involed (works in cars too but easier with a pickup) Camping world and other places have "Water Bladders" some are close to 100 Gallons.. You toss one in the bed. (make sure bed is swept clean of debris that might poke holes) go to filling station (water type) fill 'er up and some come with aux pumps to transfer. or you can gravity transfer on some RV's. or add-a-pump.. I have a spare pump. Pumps are 12 volt devices.

Now we have unlimited FRESH. But what about the WASTE tanks?

Blue boy totes or a 55 gallon drum and a portable macerator WIth the Drum you fill 'er up using the pump and gravity dump at the dump station.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
huntdooly wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
huntdooly wrote:
Is 50 gallons of fresh water enough for boondocking? I wonder how long that would last. It seems that the smaller rigs have a smaller water capacity.

With all the conveniences of home, except for Navy showers of course, you might make two days. I don't skip days for showering and we have both a marine type and tecma toliet that uses lotsa water, so with our 105 gallons, four days is pushing it.
As always, your mileage may vary.

:E

I might have added that when you have two toilets and with one that uses a lot of water, the black tank fills rapidly and is probably the first thing on the agenda. Depends on the amount of people, obviously.
Sure, you can tape the lid shut on the Tecma, but again, with what these luxuries cost, I plan on making full use of them.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!! The boxes that need ticking keep increasing!!

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
huntdooly wrote:

With all the conveniences of home, except for Navy showers of course, you might make two days. I don't skip days for showering and we have both a marine type and tecma toliet that uses lotsa water, so with our 105 gallons, four days is pushing it.
As always, your mileage may vary.

:E

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
100 gallons would be better. When I purchased my Bounder, a big selling point was the 100 gallon water tank.
Mark

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A towable is much easier to keep supplied with water using the truck, MH not so much..unless your toad is capable of that. That's one reason I chose a 5er.. I'm not into breaking camp to get water, and I don't like uber-conservation.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
As a Child and early teens I spent summers at Grand Ma's or Uncles. No water nor electricity.
We bathed once a week. yes just like our Ancestors and hillbillies.
We worked hard and sweated it out.
Many many times I was down to the creek with a bar of her homemade lye soap.
The others did too infrequently. The rocks were clean in that cold spring creek too. No it it didn't hurt the fish of which I caught many.
I don't want to actually I would love to in the summer, if my arthritis would let me but practically won't do that any more. I wash every day sometimes shower before bed too especially if it is warm. I would like a two hundred gallon tank to replace our hundred gallon if there was one that fit.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhomes always had an off/on button for the shower at the head.
You adjust the temp, wet down, turn off, soap up, turn on and rinse!
Saves a lot of water.