cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a teardrop for boondocking.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the hunt for a small o0ld-school teardrop to haul into the woods. It needs to have a galley with storage for a stove, cooler and water jug. Don't want A/C, sound system, TV, etc. Propane and 12V not required either.
Every manufacturer out there sells nothing but top-of-the-line stuff and I don't have the space necessary to build one myself.
Help a brutha out.

Wright Ellis
Richmond, Va.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
17 REPLIES 17

dedmiston
Here's the link that was automatically deleted from a prior post. Sorry that the robots are taking over. Resistance is futile.

www.hikertrailers.com

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see that I am not the only person that has more than one TT. My wife and I use out large to us (17') when we go out, but I use my old fiberglass (1974 Love Bug, similar to Scamp) when I am out alone. The Love Bug is my deer hunting camper. I can live very comfortably in it when it gets down to 0 degrees with good sleeping bags. I have a gas furnace that dies not have a fan so no electricity is needed. I only use it when I am sitting in the camper before bed time or when I get up. It also has a 3 burner stove that works great.
I would suggest one of the 10' fiberglass campers for someone that wants to go with the basics. They are light, my Bug weighs about 1000 pounds. They pull very easy and due to the size, wind doesn't whip them around.

For more detailed information on the fiberglass campers, go to http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
An old U-Haul rental camper would probably work for you. I just missed one some months back darn it. We wanted it for when we go visiting so the dog can stay in it if we were staying in the house.
Puma 30RKSS

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a 27' travel trailer and a home built Teardrop camper. They both have their place. We use the Teardrop usually in State or National parks that have very small camping spots or restrict trailer size. We don't use it often, but we like having options!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This full-timing single young gal just bought a Hiker Trailer. I believe there are 3 posts about it on her blog. The first is when she ordered it so do a search on her blog.

https://interstellarorchard.com/2018/10/19/teardrop-trailer-bathroom-and-kitchen-solutions/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gregorific
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Teacher, you might want to take a look at Hiker Trailers (***Link Removed***)

Stripped down to "tent camping in a box," you can get into a new trailer for under $5K. Even their more deluxe offerings come in under $10K.

MOD'S EDIT: The link was removed by a robot. Let's see if I can add it back:

www.hikertrailers.com

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
In your shoes I would get a small cargo trailer and fit it out like I want it.

There's a thought. Thanks.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
In your shoes I would get a small cargo trailer and fit it out like I want it. Wouldn't be too hard to add some windows and a roof vent. Get some pre-made cabinets and cots and you are good to go.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
At one time I thought that I wanted a teardrop. I ended up buying an Aliner Sport instead and never regretted the switch.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What's wrong with taking the trailer you have now? I think you're going to have to settle for something with things you don't find necessary. It seems like all that's out there has electric/propane/refrigerator, etc.

On RV trader there's a 2016 RPod in Ashland, Virginia for $12,000.

Would these help? https://www.rvtrader.com/Casita-Travel-Trailer-RVs/rvs-for-sale?type=travel%20trailer%7C198073&make=...

It seems like getting a small cargo trailer would be best. Add cots, a Coleman stove, etc. and you're good to go.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Give , they will have leads as well as ads.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I sent you a PM.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
For comfort and probably a lower cost you may want to look for a 12 to 16 foot travel trailer instead. The teardrops even used tend to carry a premium price tag for

I own a TT. I don't want all the "systems."
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Ebay, craigslist, and rvtrader have lots of them, both new and used. There has to be a few that would fit your needs.

Not within 200 mi.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS