cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More ULSD info

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I have this information from a petroleum industry executive. The Pemex diesel is LSD. In January it is supposed to be ULSD. I was also told that Arco now has some stations in Sonora that have ULSD. 2 in Guaymas and one is supposed to be large enough to handle a 5th wheel. Arco has had the ULSD in Baja ( TJ) for awhile. . Their gasoline is top tier. All the gasoline is low sulfur so you do not need to buy Premium. Mexican regular gasoline is not low sulfur. Chevron stations are selling Pemex fuels. There are a lot of stations with strange names all over Hermosillo. Not associated with any USA suppliers. They are selling Pemex fuel. The internet can be a strange place. Ed White pronounced that ULSD is here. Mexico Mike picked up on that and posted it as fact. Now hundreds of people are believing that the ULSD is everywhere. I am sure some people read the info on Mexico Mike's website and reposted it to other websites. Buyer Beware.

Moisheh
25 REPLIES 25

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The moderator may wish to consider transferring the last 4 (four posts) above to the Mex 15 update thread where they will be easier to find 🙂

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
2 shots off my dashcam

Talleyho69
Thanks for the update. Good luck to the migrants, whatever the outcome.

Keeping it non political.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Drove Mazatlan to villa Corona today. road is in good condition, wash out just south of the second toll booth south of Villa union. That booth (the expensive one) is free right now as it suffered heavy hurricane damage. the free road near there is washed out. Bad condition in right lane as you go up hill to Tepic, could nto see it in shadows. Passed 2 trucks loaded to the gills (dangerously) with migrants headed north

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The above cut and paste was dated August 23,2018 . Just one month before Ed White posted that the fuel was everywhere and the refineries were running.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This cut and paste is from Argus media. They track the Petro industries

Mexican demand for ultra-low sulphur diesel (ULSD) imports may rise by 100,000 b/d starting next year, when new laws limiting diesel sulphur to 15ppm take hold.

Regulation passed in 2016 by the energy regulatory commission (CRE) will ban 500ppm sulphur diesel — currently 24pc of Mexico's diesel consumption — by January 1, 2019. Based on June 2018 data, the switch could mean a 36pc increase in ULSD imports, at a time of heightened global demand for ULSD.

The ruling poses a major challenge for state-run Pemex, as domestic ULSD production only meets about 9pc of demand, and only three of its six refineries can produce the low-sulphur fuel.

Pemex told Argus it has asked authorities to postpone the mandate, citing the high costs of producing ULSD.

Domestic diesel production constituted a third of Mexico's total demand of 410,000 b/d in June 2018, according to data from the energy ministry (Sener). Three quarters, or 100,000 b/d, of domestic diesel production was 500ppm diesel. All of that will likely come from additional imports.

"What we expect is that the limit gets postponed," Cesar Cadena, president of Grupo Energeticos diesel trading group in Monterrey, Mexico, said.

The January 2019 switch would likely complicate Pemex's operations at its three refineries that lack the ability to produce ULSD — Tula, Madero and Minatitlan. These refineries have a combined capacity of 790,000 b/d.

Pemex would probably not only stop diesel production, but also gasoline production as they are in the same refining trains," Cadena said, referring to refineries that can only produce 500ppm sulphur diesel. "Producing something you cannot sell is toxic for any company."

Financial and political struggles have led to a steady erosion of domestic production and increased reliance on imports over the past few years.

Pemex is planning to revamp three of its six refineries — Tula, Salamanca and Salina Cruz — in coming months in order to process heavier crude. But if history is any guide, maintenance can be lengthy, and finished upgrades may not do much to boost domestic production.

Pemex has tried to install desulphurizers in its six refineries since 2012. The oil price crisis in 2014 took Ps100bn ($5.2bn) out of its budget — assigned through the federal budget — leading to cancelling the project to install desulphurizers.

Pemex upgraded the 285,000 b/d Minatitlan and the 190,000 b/d Madero refineries in the past year, but run rates have been dogged by weak margins, and overall production has not increased. None of these two have desulphurizing plants.

In addition, Mexico's refineries remain vulnerable to hurricanes and earthquakes, as exemplified by prolonged shutdown of the country's largest 330,000 b/d Salina Cruz refinery last year.

US geared to export

If the mandate for 2019 prevails, the 100,000 b/d demand will hit US markets as early as this fall.

Mexico is already by far the biggest taker of US exports of ULSD. A 100,000 b/d increase in its demand will be a boon to US refiners.

US exported 266,000 b/d of ULSD to Mexico in May 2018, according to the US Energy Information Administration . Chile, the second biggest importer of ULSD from the US, took in slightly more than half what Mexico did in May.

ULSD exports to Mexico also amount to nearly half of the ULSD moved on the Colonial pipeline, the main artery of the US domestic supply system from the Gulf coast to New York Harbor and the benchmark price for diesel exports.

US refiners reached record processing rates in mid-August, amid low inventories and double-digit margins.

Global demand helped push US Gulf coast ULSD prices to $2.25/USG this May, the highest level in three-and-a-half years, according to Argus assessments.

Whether Mexico's sulphur limit it hit in 2019 or 2020, US fuel sellers will relish the opportunity to supply an increase in Mexican demand for low- sulphur fuel.

"Here is to hoping," a US refiner said.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Very few pickups have had problems. But we do not hear from this with motorhomes. Mr White even c!aimed that there must be ulsd in Kino as he had no reports from this area.Whst he did not report is that there are very few diesel pu trucks in this area. Maybe less than 10. He took a short trip in a public and claimed he had some device that told him there were no problems. But what was that device. Even most state emission sites do not have that equipment. I have never seen anything from him that verified his findings. However he will be correct early next year when all the stations will have the fuel. If ulsd was everywhere the transport companies would be buying trucks with 2010 emission sytems. That has not happened. I have checked at least 8 large Pemex stations that sell to Truckers. None have any signs out front or on the pumps that the fuel is UlSD. Only that the Cetane is 45. Heck even Magna is not low Sulfur. I did not mention the name of the contact or the oil company as he requested not to make that info public. But if mountaineer sends me a pm I will forward some info.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying my darndest to pass on information that states there are no guarantees.

Similarly it is Mr. White who attempts to convince others that forecasting problems by using low sulfur rather than ULSD has caused few if any problems according to his studies.

Pardon my skepticism. This is like arriving at at an equation with a few numbers and symbols missing.

In short it is long on assumption and missing verifiable data.

Mountaineer42 your entry states fact -- you have traveled to Mazatlan with no issues and have talked to similar folks who have had no issues.

But to extend that fact into conjecture leads into the wilderness of guessing. What Moishesh stated was ULSD was not being the norm on the mainland.

A person would have to stretch both facts and even then the buttons do not line up. It's as simple as that.

I wish Mr White would give forth Companies Other Than Pemex NAMES. I submitted the API and Moodys articles WHO UNDERWRITES LOANS TO PEMEX. Facts, links, proof. Couple that with Xavier and Ernesto's statements to me we have a problem with some of this information.

PEMEX is in trouble production wise and money wise. The revisions to the energy act last year is a testament to this

And ME, meaning, my body, walked the length of the Salamanca refinery and noted how silent the plant was. Vessels and heaters that normally clang and roar were barely whimpering. Columns that emit heat via uninsulated pipe flanges were not as hot as they should be. Two of six 600 pound pitch boilers were offline. For minutes there was no truck at the loading platform. My eyes do not lie. And my eyes do not think the new refinery upgrades were camouflaged from my eyes.

I ME MYSELF passed by the fence to the Salina Cruz refinacion a little over a year ago. There was 10 to 12 acres of freshly graded earth next to the Crude Unit but not a scrap of concrete forms. You do not build a refinery on dirt. You build it on 24" of poured six sack cement and then let it cure for a year before erecting one damned vessel. I returned to read official PEMEX utter poppycock about the change in plans to produce ULSD to Premium ULSG gasoline. Do I look like a fool? The people I was riding with got upset at the three hours the diversion took.

The bottom line is this and you can take it to the bank...

With PEMEX purchasing tankerloads of diesel from US and Japanese refineries it's anyone's guess what the franchises are pumping into people's tanks.

It's pure common sense to think that the west coast refinery is concentrating on supplying number six fuel oil to power electrical plants. The further the diesel travels from the source, the more likely it is that foreign diesel may be mixed in. With a pair of 10 x 50 field glasses I confirmed the tanker Nandeska Maru was tied to the Rosarito off shore terminal a few months ago. A huge vessel. Why was a Japanese tanker moored there? To supply ULSD. Wait! Being an ex refinery employee I know for a fact not conjecture that Autumn is the time frame for annual refinery turnarounds. They do it like a chain in the Bay Area, Chevron, Exxon, Shell, then Tesoro.

So hold your horses with assumptions and pronouncements please 🙂

Foreign energy companies are marching into Mexico like an invasion. Establishing proprietary tank farms at ports. They are going to pump or carry their own brand to distribute it. Mexico it is assumed will allow enough foreign gasoline to ease the burden on the refineries. With ULSD there is no choice there is a mandate. With city areas under siege from smog regular gasoline must be ultra low sulfur. That is also part of a federal mandate.

We need more testaments like Mountaineer42 that says RVs have traveled through an area with no problems and a lot less hyperbole about the country having all ULSD.

It's all about worry free tourism.

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
Ed White wrote:
This information will probably drive the naysayers into another frenzy, but I'm pleased to announce that I have just driven a 2019 GMC Sierra Duramax pickup down the Baja from San Ysidro to Los Barriles (about an hour north of San Jose del Cabo), with NO sulfur-in-fuel related issues.

I had deliberately run my fuel tank to low before entering Mexico so that almost all of the fuel used was from Pemex stations on the Baja.

I utilized my GM test equipment to watch the emissions during the trip and for the first time ever there was NO indication of sulfur levels above 15 ppm.

This is yet one more piece of evidence that ULSD is now the norm on the entire Baja, consistent with information provided by Pemex, and consistent with the Mexican refinery upgrades confirmed by companies other than Pemex.

We're currently in Mazatlan, travelling with a 2013 Duramax and a 2017 Duramax. Absolutely no issues so far. Last year we had several post-2011 diesels in our park and there was not a single issue for any of them. Perhaps Mr Moishe's anonymous "petroleum industry executive" is a little off the mark.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ed there is nothing preventing Topolobampo from getting diesel from Japan. A lot of Japan's diesel is sub 15 ppm. From Toplobampo diesel is barged across to Pichilingue. The Salina Cruz refinery is overtaxed as it is. Ernesto told me Pemex said it was running at 60% capacity and a lot of the diesel was committed to rural CFE generators. Old railroad locomotive engines with generators hung on the back. Salina Cruz refines a lot of number six fuel oil and pitch. Both used in large generator plants.

The same holds true for Guaymas. Salina Cruz is supposed to devote it's output to powering CFE generating plants up and down the Pacific Coast. Diesel fuel is secondary. As far as a guarantee of diesel fuel origin, good luck. Lazaro Cardenas and Acapulco are big diesel and gasoline eaters.

My hope is for Sempra Energy to get that Rosarito tank farm built fast. This is where premium gasoline is loaded into the tanker that brought up fuel oil from Salina Cruz for Tijuana's massive generator and sea water distillation plants. Baja's USA gasoline comes from the TESORO refinery in California. And this is where the premium gasoline for the entire west coast comes from.

Nothing would make me happier than ridding the country of low sulfur diesel and mediocre grade Magna gasoline. Some engines are satisfied with Magna. My Dodge bucks and stalls and forces me to either use Premium or spend a fortune on imported Chevron Techron additive. There is no excuse to sell Ubangi grade gasoline for four dollars a gallon.

My Kubota and my Cummins are perfectly happy with low sulfur diesel. I maintain scrupulously strict as hell measuring of kWh delivered versus fuel usage in my diesel generator. The consumption has not changed one whit in 18 years. As a reference, changing from #2 to ULSD is identical to have switched from number two to number one diesel. And you'd darned well better believe there is a 15% loss of economy.

As of a year and a half ago, my Dodge threw fits with Baja California Sur Magna gasoline. Exactly the same thing as happens at home in Michoacan. Up here in the northern state Magna is good, but throttle response is even better with BP fuel. Arco is not quite as good. !@#$%&! car is like a 10 year old kid staring at a plate of brussel sprouts. My Chevrolet Pickup trucks were never that fussy. They did not like NOVA however.

When Sempra builds the Topolobampo tank farm, ULSD is assured for Baja Sur as is excellent gasoline. Pemex uses USA Premium gasoline without alcohol and without Tesoro's additive package. But it adds MTBE. The last tank full of Pemex premium I got reeked of it.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Just what are the indications of using non ulsd? Does the test equipment give you a sulfur reading?

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Great news, thank you!

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
This information will probably drive the naysayers into another frenzy, but I'm pleased to announce that I have just driven a 2019 GMC Sierra Duramax pickup down the Baja from San Ysidro to Los Barriles (about an hour north of San Jose del Cabo), with NO sulfur-in-fuel related issues.

I had deliberately run my fuel tank to low before entering Mexico so that almost all of the fuel used was from Pemex stations on the Baja.

I utilized my GM test equipment to watch the emissions during the trip and for the first time ever there was NO indication of sulfur levels above 15 ppm.

This is yet one more piece of evidence that ULSD is now the norm on the entire Baja, consistent with information provided by Pemex, and consistent with the Mexican refinery upgrades confirmed by companies other than Pemex.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT I will try to find articles and post them as I come across them...

Sempra Energy has announced that its Mexican subsidiary, Infraestructura Energética Nova, S.A.B. de C.V. (IEnova), has signed a long-term contract with British Petroleum (BP) for the remaining 50% of the initial capacity of the proposed Baja Refinados liquid fuels marine terminal in Baja California, Mexico.

Under the agreement, BP will have storage capacity of 500 000 bbls of liquid fuels to supply its network of service stations in northern Mexico.

In addition, subject to the execution of certain agreements, BP will have the option to acquire up to 25% of the terminal's equity after commercial operations begin in 2H20.

In April, IEnova announced it signed a long-term contract with Chevron Combustibles de México S. de R.L. de C.V for approximately 50% of the facility's initial storage capacity, to supply Chevron service stations and other commercial and industrial consumers.

IEnova will be responsible for the development of the liquid fuels terminal project, including financing, obtaining permits, engineering, procurement and construction, as well as maintenance and operations.

The project will be located at the La Jovita Energy Hub in Ensenada and have an initial capacity of 1 million bbls of liquid fuels, with the potential for future expansion.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Foreign fuel for Baja California Sur can only arrive at the Pichilingue tank farm via BARGE and the sole barge service transits the Mar de Perla from Topolobampo Sinaloa. A tanker would run aground. The tank farm is located several miles north of La Paz.