cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Batteries. What charger type / characteristics?

Keith_and_Lu
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to go out for the last time this year. We have been thinking about the new batteries (second use) and the type of charger we will need when home. The old charger sounds dreadful when plugged in and is 20 years old anyway. Any brands to lean towards or away from?

Trojan Deep Cycle

Thanks

Keith and Lu
15 REPLIES 15

Keith_and_Lu
Explorer
Explorer
Well, what I did was to go back to the place I bought the batteries. They hooked me up with a portable charger for winter, that will do the proper voltage for desulfating.

Stored in my garage where I will see and smell them.

That gives me this winter to plan on work to various systems in the rig.

Thanks SoundGuy.

Keith

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
To each his own... My fifth wheel sets at my home when not in use. Plugged into AC 24 hrs a day..and a8 donโ€™t checโ€™ the batteries every day..

A battery tender would be the best opti9n to maintain battteries if stored over the winter months and not going to check on it at least monthly...

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving everything connected & trusting the converter or battery to take care of things for weeks, months even, unattended is just fine till something fails.

Seen it happen. A boat with 4 very expensive 8D gel cell batterys left plugged into shore power & unattened for a few months. The equally very expensive multi stage charger went crazy & did not drop & stay in maintenance mode.

The owner eventually came back to find 4 $500 batterys cooked. An expensive lesson trusting a charger to do its job unattended.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™ve got a more current RV with a 3 stage converter in it then check electrolyte levels if non sealed battery and top off with distilled water

Plug the RV in and let the converter do the work... Most newer rigs have a WFCO 3 stage and sme have a PD 4 stage... either will do the job

You could also just buy a battery tender and connect it and it will suffice with 2 12 volts in parallel or 2 six c9lts in series

Even Trojan website if you read down thru their doc states 3 stage charger is just fine...

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

For TWO Trojan T-105's in series. 220 amp hours. I would recommend the following

IF converter is seperate from power panel Progressive Dynamics 9260
If converter is attached to power panel Progressive Dynamics 4660

These chargers won't give him the 14.8 volts he needs.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my onboard inverter/charger developed issues & stopped charging I had to find a workaround till I got it fixed. Bought a portable charger with a selector for flooded, AGM or Gel Cell battery type. I have a 4D AGM. Charge rate is selectable 2amp or 15 amp. 15amp is not very high but means that it takes longer to reach the maintenance stage.

If you are storing & have access to the rig there really is no need to get a portable charger. Simply connect the battery bank once a month, let the onboard charger top off the bank & disconnect for another month rendering the trailer electronically dead again.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Keith_and_Lu
Explorer
Explorer
I have to add a missing word to my initial description. "Portable" charger.

But, now I'm wondering about the battery choice.

Keith

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
My point was that if the OP is talking Trojan batteries then he ought to consider the manufacturer's charging recommendations, primary being a bulk charge voltage of 14.8 volts, not 14.4 volts. And yes Virginia there is a solution offered for this special case - Best Converter offers a modified PD9200 that will in fact do 14.8 volts. You might want to spend more time being helpful than wasting your time being critical of other forum members who are trying to help. :R

Thanks for finding that info ! Good to know that there ARE charger that will meet Trojan specs !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

So what's your point in directing your comments at me when I'm not the one asking or buying new batteries and a converter? :S

Sorry, they were not "aimed" at you. Poorly worded "general" response.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for the PD9200-14.8 linked above. Probably the 45 amp is plenty. Need to verify wires before you go bigger.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Most deep cycle batteries are spec'd to be bulk charged at 14.4 volts but IIRC Trojans require 14.8 volts so you'd want to consider that when selecting an appropriate charger.

theoldwizard1 wrote:
I looked it up. For a pair of T105s (6v each), Trojan recommends a bulk/float/equalize charging voltage of 14.8/13.5/16.2. I have not found ANY automatic charger that meets those voltages "out of the box". Most automatic, multi-stage chargers charge at several 1/10th of a volt below those number and can NOT be adjusted.

So what's your point in directing your comments at me when I'm not the one asking or buying new batteries and a converter? :S My point was that if the OP is talking Trojan batteries then he ought to consider the manufacturer's charging recommendations, primary being a bulk charge voltage of 14.8 volts, not 14.4 volts. And yes Virginia there is a solution offered for this special case - Best Converter offers a modified PD9200 that will in fact do 14.8 volts. You might want to spend more time being helpful than wasting your time being critical of other forum members who are trying to help. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Most deep cycle batteries are spec'd to be bulk charged at 14.4 volts but IIRC Trojans require 14.8 volts so you'd want to consider that when selecting an appropriate charger.

I looked it up. For a pair of T105s (6v each), Trojan recommends a bulk/float/equalize charging voltage of 14.8/13.5/16.2. I have not found ANY automatic charger that meets those voltages "out of the box". Most automatic, multi-stage chargers charge at several 1/10th of a volt below those number and can NOT be adjusted.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What make and model is your 20 year old charger????

For TWO Trojan T-105's in series. 220 amp hours. I would recommend the following

IF converter is seperate from power panel Progressive Dynamics 9260
If converter is attached to power panel Progressive Dynamics 4660

(NOTE last two digits are max current 60 is about the smallest they make)

If you really want to baby them.. Well a smaller converter would be good (down to about 30 amp) but I use 30% C/20 as recommended by Xantrex.

OR take the chance to upgrade to a Inverter/Charger such as an Xantrex Freedom XC-1000 so you can watch TV without Shore/Generator power. (Frankly I do not recommend the freedom line. I mean it works.. but I'm still having issues with the settings on mine. IT does nto always work).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Keith and Lu wrote:
We have been thinking about the new batteries (second use) and the type of charger we will need when home. The old charger sounds dreadful when plugged in and is 20 years old anyway. Any brands to lean towards or away from?

Trojan Deep Cycle

Most deep cycle batteries are spec'd to be bulk charged at 14.4 volts but IIRC Trojans require 14.8 volts so you'd want to consider that when selecting an appropriate charger. If you're investing a significant amount in batteries plus a new charger then you might also want to look for a charger that offers temperature compensated charging which most converters are not capable of. Many here may not agree but I'd just leave your existing converter in place, turn it off, and instead use a stand alone charger that does offer TC charging.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380